News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Covercraft Dustop Car Cover for 69 Charger

Started by Chatt69chgr, January 23, 2013, 11:27:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chatt69chgr

My 69 Charger will come back from the painters soon.  It will stay in the garage but I want to protect it from dust.  I'm looking at the Covercraft Dustop custom fit cover.  Anybody with any experience with this fabric. 

Any suggestions on the best place to buy?  The Covercraft site lists the C68TS cover (custom fit for 69 charger in the Dustop fabric) for $297.  Virtually every place on the web that sells their covers lists it for $258.95.

I'd like to order tomorrow.

twodko

I bought California Car Covers Dust Topper for all my cars.....excellent indoor protection. When your car comes home, let it sit for a couple weeks before you cover it. I gave mine a gentle bath/dry before I put its cover on for the first time after it sat for 2weeks. I'm also manic about my ride so I bought 3 furniture blankets at harbor freight....one for the hood, roof and trunk surface......on top of the car cover.
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

moparstuart

Quote from: twodko on January 23, 2013, 11:37:56 PM
I bought California Car Covers Dust Topper for all my cars.....excellent indoor protection. When your car comes home, let it sit for a couple weeks before you cover it. I gave mine a gentle bath/dry before I put its cover on for the first time after it sat for 2weeks. I'm also manic about my ride so I bought 3 furniture blankets at harbor freight....one for the hood, roof and trunk surface......on top of the car cover.
i second california car covers
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

bill440rt

Wow, great timing on this thread.
I just ordered a new cover last week to replace my 20-year old Covercraft on my '68. I had samples sent to me by Cal Car Cover so I could better decide on what I wanted. I narrowed it down to 2 different ones: the Dustop and the Plushweave. Both are thick & offer great indoor protection. I decided on the Plushweave. Not that this would matter on a Charger, but they said not to use them on cars with fabric (not vinyl) tops, as it would leave lint on the fabric top. Vinyl tops are fine.
I think the Dustop is just slightly thicker, but the Plushweave has a soft flannel lining & a little water repellency which I liked. Both do a good job of dust protection. I have another Covercraft Technalon/Noah on another car so if I ever had to leave one outside I could always use that cover. I wanted one for mostly indoor use. Plushweave seemed like a good choice.
It was $310 with shipping, but I also added on a $7 storage bag when not in use.
BTW twodko, you're like me with the packing blankets!  :rofl:   I put them on for the winter, too. Just a little added protection.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Charger_Dart

Another vote for the Cal Car Cover Plushweave. its very nice material and fits great.  :2thumbs:

68 Charger R/T & 68 Dart GT Convertible

41husk

1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

RIDELIKEHELL

I priced a Cal cover and it was well over $400 and that was shipped to Michigan as I have a mailbox there? I just bought a generic one for this winter ....
AMD POSTER BOY

1968 CHARGER R/T  http://www.youtube.com/user/ridelikehell73

41husk

yep they aint cheap, and they charge $40 if you dont want there logo and phone # on it.
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

RIDELIKEHELL

AMD POSTER BOY

bill440rt

Yeah, I'll post as soon as my Plushweave gets here.  :cheers:
Should be here by next week I'd think. I just placed the order last week, the salesguy on the phone says it takes about 2 weeks with delivery.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

moparstuart

JB400

I heard a rumor that you shouldn't place a car cover on a freshly painted car.  I heard your suppose to wait a month or so.  Any truth to this?

I think this might have answered my question reading it again for the 2nd time :brickwall:  What's the reasoning though?

41husk

Wait at least a couple of weeks.  Sure can't beat the fit of those Cal covers.
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

bill440rt

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on January 24, 2013, 03:37:42 PM
I heard a rumor that you shouldn't place a car cover on a freshly painted car.  I heard your suppose to wait a month or so.  Any truth to this?

I think this might have answered my question reading it again for the 2nd time :brickwall:  What's the reasoning though?

Fresh paint needs time to cure. Enamels/urethanes cure mechanically (chemically). Even though the paint may have gone thru a bake cycle it doesn't come out rock hard. It still needs time to cure. Covering a car could hinder the cure process, cause marks in relatively "soft" paint, etc. In extreme cases possibly alter the surface texture of the paint if the paint can't "breathe" properly. Different paint manufacturers may have different recommendations.
Best to play it safe & leave it off for a few weeks. Let the paint breathe & cure.
:Twocents:

Just 6T9 CHGR

I use a Covercraft as well...won it from Mothers about 10 years ago!

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

projectanimal

Great topic!  Our car is off to paint next week (although he still has a Nova where I need to park) but when it returns we'll be looking for a good cover!  Also good tip about letting the car breath for a few weeks.   :2thumbs: :cheers:
northwest CT

RIDELIKEHELL

Thanks Stuart and I look forward to seeing your cover Bill
AMD POSTER BOY

bill440rt

Spoke too soon, my cover arrived yesterday!  :woohoo:
I am VERY pleased with the fit & quality of the Plushweave. The exterior is like a heavy canvas type material, however it has a flannel lining which is very soft. It's a nice, thick cover. I have a Covercraft Evolution on my other car, the Plushweave feels thicker than that. The storage bag is also nice.
Anyway, as promised here are some pics.  :cheers:

bill440rt

A few more...

charge69

The California Car Cover Plushweave looks to be an outstanding cover. I need to order a cover for my Charger now and that one looks to be the one.

moparstuart

Quote from: charge69 on January 26, 2013, 10:08:13 PM
The California Car Cover Plushweave looks to be an outstanding cover. I need to order a cover for my Charger now and that one looks to be the one.
thats what both mine are  love them one is 17 years old now still looks like new

RIDELIKEHELL

Thanks for posting those phots I see the fitment is awesome! I will have to order one at some point but still paying for my resto or should I say resurection  :lol:
AMD POSTER BOY

Chatt69chgr

I sure like that California Car Cover Plushweave you got Bill.  I may have to order that one instead of the Covercraft Dustop I was looking at.  Thanks for posting the pics.

polywideblock

hi just started looking for an outdoor/waterproof cover for my charger when out and about, these look great but are indoor covers .any sugestions? please include a link as i'm in australia

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

41husk

They will say there covers are waterproof, but they are not!
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904