News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Eddy gone....what Holley to replace with?

Started by billschroeder5842, February 02, 2013, 03:40:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billschroeder5842

I'd like everyones help in give me some advice on what size carb to go with for my car. I have an Eddy on it now and am not real happy. This thing has given me fits since day one (hesitation on take off, surging at steady speeds, erratic fuel flow, car sputtering on acceration...et) and am needing the simplicity and consistency of a Holley.

So, i have a '72 400 with stock pistons and compression. Mileage unknown. A cam that is just the other side of a stock, headers, Aluminum Eddy intake, electronic ignition, Automatic Transmission and a 3.23 rear end.

Here is what I'm looking for
1) consistency and dependability
2) Performance
3) economy (If these cars can be economical)

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Texas Proud!

Ghoste

metalstorm440

Will your bolt pattern and opening accept a holley?

A383Wing

Sounds like float level is a little low and possibly a couple jet size change to bigger ones needed in the primary side of the Eddy carb. Simple fix & cheaper than a new carb

Bryan

billschroeder5842

Hmmmm.....Not sure on the bolt pattern question. I guess I thought it waas pretty universal as the Holley and Eddy can fit a stock manifold??
Texas Proud!

metalstorm440

I asked because I don't know but it sounds like it will fit. :cheers:

billschroeder5842

Thanks, I have a buddy coming over today to give me a hand.

I read about adjusting the floats....WAY harder than a Holley. Hmmmmm...
Texas Proud!

Cooter

Quote from: Ghoste on February 02, 2013, 04:33:20 PM
650 vacuum secondaries.
:2thumbs: :2thumbs: Might even be able to get one in a "spreadbore" set up as well. Any more and you'll be overcarb'd.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

firefighter3931

68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

MoparMotel

I was in the same boat... 383 magnum mild comp cam etc...had an Eddy 1407 750cfm on there then the stock Carter AVS... Could not get both of them to run right/tuned correctly. Had the same bog off the line as well as the surging sometimes.

Took it off and put on an Aluminum Holley 770 Street Avenger and the car runs great now. Fires right up cold and cruises perfect with no off idle stumble anymore.
1968 Dodge Charger

billschroeder5842

Ordered a Holley 750, dual feed, vacuum secondary from Jegs today. My weekend project will arrive on Thursday.
Texas Proud!

billschroeder5842

Well, I finished it, but what  bet down. Move (rewire) the coil, new fuel lines and throttle linkage mousing. the bright side is that it popped off right away and seems to run pretty well. Test drive after Daytona.

QUESTION: I have the throttle cable rather "kludged" as it requires more lenth than the Eddy, so the bracket does not line up. Is there an adapter bracket that will work?

Thanks!
Texas Proud!

MoparMotel

I've got the factory cable and if I remember right when we did my Holley we had to do the Holley 20-7 Mopar throttle bracket
1968 Dodge Charger

billschroeder5842

I was able to make a very solid bracket from my "coffee" can of spare nuts and bolts.

I LOVE THE HOLLEY! Bog GONE, Surging GONE and much smoother.

Now, I need to do some tweaking as the performance is not there yet.
Texas Proud!

Ghoste

BB1

Delete my profile

ACUDANUT

Quote from: billschroeder5842 on February 19, 2013, 07:32:57 PM
Ordered a Holley 750, dual feed, vacuum secondary from Jegs today. My weekend project will arrive on Thursday.

Great Choice  :cheers: