News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Hotchkis Leaf Springs??

Started by garner7555, December 16, 2012, 03:05:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garner7555

Thanks for the suggestions. I have still been trying to post pictures but I guess I am gonna have to take some new ones that are lower quality.
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

stripe74au

Quote from: HPP on December 20, 2012, 01:13:16 PM
Think of it this way... shocks are to the suspension as a cam is to the engine. They determine the operating range, feel and performance within that range, and overall characteristics of the feel. There is the potantial for a lot of technology to be packed inside a 2" tube that can really compliment the rest of the system (just like a valve train)or can just margininally be involved with the system and work within a narrow range of comfort and performance.

Firm Feel sells Bilsteins which are the same custom valved RCD Bilsteins that Hotchkis sells. They are a very good shock. Hotchkis has also stepped up another rung with their Fox line. These are probably they high end of bolt in performance shocks for our cars.

I put a set of bilsteins in my charger. I then put a set of koni adjustables on my challenger. The konis were twice the price of the bilsteins, but the bilsteins are by far a much better shock. They ride so nice and offer awesome control and feel. I originally ordered them from Jegs but was told there was a month wait. Spoke to the guys at Firm Feel and they had them for me in a week.

1965 Impala SS convertible
1967 Mustang fastback (work in progress)
1968 Charger R/T - WW1
1969 Roadrunner - R4
1970 Challenger R/T - FC7
1970 AAR 'Cuda - TX9

dangina

Quote from: HPP on December 20, 2012, 01:13:16 PM
Think of it this way... shocks are to the suspension as a cam is to the engine. They determine the operating range, feel and performance within that range, and overall characteristics of the feel. There is the potantial for a lot of technology to be packed inside a 2" tube that can really compliment the rest of the system (just like a valve train)or can just margininally be involved with the system and work within a narrow range of comfort and performance.

Firm Feel sells Bilsteins which are the same custom valved RCD Bilsteins that Hotchkis sells. They are a very good shock. Hotchkis has also stepped up another rung with their Fox line. These are probably they high end of bolt in performance shocks for our cars.

shocks are not something you want to cheap out on, $100 a shock is dirt cheap for a performance shock

stripe74au

Yeah but I would buy the Bilsteins again any day of the week.
1965 Impala SS convertible
1967 Mustang fastback (work in progress)
1968 Charger R/T - WW1
1969 Roadrunner - R4
1970 Challenger R/T - FC7
1970 AAR 'Cuda - TX9

dangina

Quote from: WHITE AND RED 69 on December 20, 2012, 01:26:29 AM
As for shocks, spend the extra money and buy a great quality performance product. If you are just cruising around you can get away with KYBs or other standard shocks. But if you want great handling, cough up the extra cash.  I have been running edelbrock IAS shocks the last few years and they are great but they were discontinued a while back. I hear great things about Bilsteins, QA1, and ridetechs. I just bought the new Hotchkis Fox shocks that were just released, should be here next week and I'll get them on after new years and post up how well they feel.  :2thumbs:

do you have the hotchkis tvs package? The new fox shocks are valved to handle the bigger torsion bars (1.10") and their rear leaf spring rate (which i think is 160 or 170lbs), bigger sway bars ect. If your running something softer or harder for a setup, the bilstiens are probably the better way to go

WHITE AND RED 69

Quote from: dangina on December 31, 2012, 01:43:20 AM
As for shocks, spend the extra money and buy a great quality performance product. If you are just cruising around you can get away with KYBs or other standard shocks. But if you want great handling, cough up the extra cash.  I have been running edelbrock IAS shocks the last few years and they are great but they were discontinued a while back. I hear great things about Bilsteins, QA1, and ridetechs. I just bought the new Hotchkis Fox shocks that were just released, should be here next week and I'll get them on after new years and post up how well they feel.  :2thumbs:

do you have the hotchkis tvs package? The new fox shocks are valved to handle the bigger torsion bars (1.10") and their rear leaf spring rate (which i think is 160 or 170lbs), bigger sway bars ect. If your running something softer or harder for a setup, the bilstiens are probably the better way to go

Yep, I've got the TVS setup along with the Hotchkis 1.03" torsion bars. I've heard from others that the edelbrocks and bilsteins have a comparable feel, I'm hoping that the Hotchkis/Fox shocks will be much better.
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

I've used bilsteins in the past and would definitely use them again. They offer a great firm ride without being harsh. I think they describe it as a euro ride. They are excellent in my opinion.

garner7555

I am anxiously waiting to hear how you like the Fox shocks!!
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

WHITE AND RED 69

Quote from: garner7555 on January 04, 2013, 10:31:11 PM

I am anxiously waiting to hear how you like the Fox shocks!!

Soon...I just haven't had any time to get them on yet. 
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

garner7555

Finally got a picture to post
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

WHITE AND RED 69

Looks killer! What size rear wheels are those?
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

garner7555

20 x 10 rear   20 x 8 fronts      Tires are way too big.  I didn't buy these for the charger, I had them laying around and decided to see if they fit.  I liked them on the car, and they fit good, other than the tires are too big. 
255/45/20 Fronts
285/40/20 Rears

I think I would like 18s better but hey, I got these cheap.

Man your car makes me want to paint mine white with red stripe!!!  (I really like your car!!) :2thumbs:
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

garner7555

Picked up a glass hood today for $100.  Its ruff, but I was gonna cut a hole in it anyway for the tunnel ram and that will save my factory hood.
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

WHITE AND RED 69

Quote from: garner7555 on January 11, 2013, 08:45:23 PM
20 x 10 rear   20 x 8 fronts      Tires are way too big.  I didn't buy these for the charger, I had them laying around and decided to see if they fit.  I liked them on the car, and they fit good, other than the tires are too big. 
255/45/20 Fronts
285/40/20 Rears

I think I would like 18s better but hey, I got these cheap.

Man your car makes me want to paint mine white with red stripe!!!  (I really like your car!!) :2thumbs:

Thanks! The rears don't look bad with the 20's. But the fronts look like they must rub pretty bad? Maybe stagger them and get a pair of 18's for the front?
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

garner7555

Thanks! The rears don't look bad with the 20's. But the fronts look like they must rub pretty bad? Maybe stagger them and get a pair of 18's for the front?
[/quote]

I still don't have the steering box and linkage installed so I'm not sure if its gonna rub or not yet. :scratchchin:  We will see.
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Finn

Quote from: garner7555 on December 18, 2012, 07:27:01 PM
Wow, thanks for the heads up on the sale. I actually just received the Hotchkis springs and shackles today. I ordered through Summit (price looked better).  While ordering I also got a locker for the 8 3/4, all 4 shocks, and a rear adjustable sway bar.  I went through the front suspension this summer and about to tackle rear suspension and brakes this winter. I hope these springs give it a stance like your car,  I have got 20 x 10s on the rear now. It needs to be lowered, the big wheels have it looking a little like my 4x4 truck. Haha.   Out front I used 1.03 T bars, tubular upper control arms, I welded stiffener plates on lower control arms, disc brake conv., heavy sway bar,  and a stage 3 power steering box.  I hope it will handle "better than new" after all this.

Damn, we need pictures of your ride man. Sounds like you're building it right!
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

garner7555

Quote from: Finn on January 30, 2013, 02:46:40 AM
Quote from: garner7555 on December 18, 2012, 07:27:01 PM
Wow, thanks for the heads up on the sale. I actually just received the Hotchkis springs and shackles today. I ordered through Summit (price looked better).  While ordering I also got a locker for the 8 3/4, all 4 shocks, and a rear adjustable sway bar.  I went through the front suspension this summer and about to tackle rear suspension and brakes this winter. I hope these springs give it a stance like your car,  I have got 20 x 10s on the rear now. It needs to be lowered, the big wheels have it looking a little like my 4x4 truck. Haha.   Out front I used 1.03 T bars, tubular upper control arms, I welded stiffener plates on lower control arms, disc brake conv., heavy sway bar,  and a stage 3 power steering box.  I hope it will handle "better than new" after all this.

Damn, we need pictures of your ride man. Sounds like you're building it right!

Thanks!!  I hope so but who knows how my choices will work together.  :shruggy: I haven't had time to work on it lately.  Maybe I can get some better pictures up next time I work on it.
69 Charger 440 resto-mod