News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New here and pics of my 71 Superbee :) New pics! 2/19/06

Started by Couga, February 14, 2006, 02:21:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Couga

Hello,
As stated before Im new here and as promised pics of my newly aqquired 71 superbee.

383Magnum,HD727,HD Suspension, open 8 3/4 diff, slapstik, drum brakes on all 4 corners, PS, no PWB, Dual exhaust, has brown interior with lighter brown inserts, and a white vinyl top.

I posted in need of parts in the need parts section, please help me get her road ready soon. :yesnod:
paid $1,000 for it and owner gave me boxes of year one repo stuff and a almost complete original stripe kit from mamopar , in blue mopar boxes.

Couga

RD

damn!!!! 1,000 dollars!! recently??  if so, you got a steal!  welcome to the board, love to see dem 3rd gens!!
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

plum500

Welcome to the site! -- Nice ride!

And may I say...

Quote...paid $1,000 for it...

Holy crap!?! For the whole car?

rich4406bbl

You got a REAL DEAL if you only paid 1k for that plus parts!!!! Since you now have a Superbee, you might want to check out www.71superbee.com and sign up on it.

Lets see some pics of the interior and engine compartment. Is it all original??

andy74

great score! welcome aboard,just a warning-its an addiction

TruckDriver

WOW! That was a real steal! Wish I would get lucky like that once with a R/T or Bee. By the way Take a look at the Third Gen Charger Registry and register that thing ;) The link is at the bottom of my signature scrolling.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Shakey

I'd agree that that was a good deal.

I also like the colour.

Keep the progress pics coming.

Welcome to the site.

Couga

All original, got everything the aircleaner with the 383 tin on top of it, interior needs a drivers front floorpan, new underlayment and carpet.
I bought this from the original owner that had it special ordered in 1970. (He got the slap stick shifter if his wife chose the vinyl top- thats why its a white vinyl top instead of black.I have the original title that dates back to 71. ;D
I either need a quarter for the pass rear or get it hammered out? Why you say? because a few days ago my dad backed his k1500 Chevy pickup into that rear quarter that had no bondo, dents..... :flame:. oh well he said he will pay for it when it goes into the shop.

But back on topic, it is a all original unmolested uncut car.

other oddities:
14x6 road wheels(magnum 500's) with trim rings and black bullet centercaps.
has the 3 button horn/steering wheel than the round center style SE type ( i think)

the original owner gave me a new package tray that matches the interior(still in plastic) new lenses for the turnsignals that go in the front valence panel, new emblem for the center of the front bumper. and some other stuff I can't think of right now.

when removing the 383 out for some ungodly reason the small cable that goes to the starter- the nut rounded off and the cable broke so got a new one from the dealership, as well as resto plug wires, I wanted the resto dist cap(tan) and rotor but they accidentally ordered me the performance one (black) and it will have to do till the next tune up.

383 Specs:
Bored .40 over w/ Sealed Power forged Flat tops
Whole rotating assembly has been balanced
Rods resized with ARP Rod bolts/nuts.
Block honed, pressurechecked, coated with glycol
replaced stock magnum cam with mopar pn:p4286677  272 duration for a little more thump. :icon_smile_big:
High volume oil pump
had the oil holes on the crank chamfered(Sp?) for better oiling.
Heads disassembled, vatted, pressurechecked, 3 angle valve job, hardened valve seats on exhaust valves, new bronze valve guides installed, new oil seals on valves and reassembled.
and a windage tray.
(phew)
I have to finish the reassembly of the engine and put it back in and I will be trying to get the body/floorpan done so I can start driving it.

So, like I said before- anyone got a gastank for a 71 superbee?

Ill get some more pics of the bee uploaded , and post more pics.

RD

67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Couga

RD,
Thanks very much
and I'd also like to say thanks to the other members that have welcomed another charger lover to the forums.

And yes, $1,000 for the whole car. I saw it 5 years ago sitting in a mans back yard- I didn't have money at the time so I didnt even ask if it was for sale. 5 Years later I was coming home from a fishing trip with my wife and son and happened to come down the road where is was near. I told my wife about it, she said "go look" turned the corner and wow, it never moved for 5 years. Talked to the owner, told him my first car was a 71 and when I sold it along time ago that I was going to get another one. From the street it looked like a normal /baseline charger- as I got closer to it I saw the powerbulge hood, and when I walked up to it I saw the bee on the hood. I gave it a good lookover, we chatted about it, the Original owner tld me to give it some thought. came back the following week and talked some more, I made a offer, he told me he was offered more but liked the way I talked about the car and I could get it for a grand. Needless to say- SOLD! So as we were loading the car up on a trailer he said" wait, I have to give you the rest of the car." And promptly opened the little storage shed that was beside the car and handed out many boxes. Only thing he kept trying to tell my wife is that for me to paint it back the original color and not change it to plum crazy purple with a white top. LOL

The more I have looked at the color the more it has grown on me- and even my dad said that it wouldn't be the same if I changed the color. So back original it is- only thing I thought about changing is putting the hideaways in the front. But maybe not - I havent priced them but could be expensive.

Charger_Fan

$1,000??? You're one lucky S.O.Bee! ( ;D )
I'd get my butt over to the nearest lottery outlet, if I were you. :icon_smile_big:

Oh & welcome aboard! :wave:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Couga

ONe more thing for kicks,..
the pass rear tire thats still holding air is the original poly spare that came with the car in 71 ,..
I have got to get some tires on this thing hehe

hemi68charger

Holy-Superbee batman !!!  You made out bigtime !!!!  Congrad's to you.. Sounds like the car came to someone who will rebuild her to her former glory.....

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

PocketThunder

Quote from: Couga on February 14, 2006, 03:50:58 PM
ONe more thing for kicks,..
the pass rear tire thats still holding air is the original poly spare that came with the car in 71 ,..
I have got to get some tires on this thing hehe

Probably has the original air in it also!
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

hotrod98

Don't let the air out of that tire...scientists might pay big money for it. lol

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

Headrope

Has anyone mentioned what a steal that was?

But seriously, get as much info as you can, write it up and submit it to a magazine. Make sure to include the bit about dad backing into it. You're sure to be published (and someone will likely provide you with a quarter panel.)

What you've got is the type of thing many dream of. Congrats!
Sixty-eights look great and the '69 is fine.
But before the General Lee there was me - Headrope.

golden73

:o HOLY CRAP MAN!!! You really lucked out on that. Love them 71's...

TruckDriver

Quote from: Headrope on February 14, 2006, 05:02:55 PM
Has anyone mentioned what a steal that was?

But seriously, get as much info as you can, write it up and submit it to a magazine. Make sure to include the bit about dad backing into it. You're sure to be published (and someone will likely provide you with a quarter panel.)

What you've got is the type of thing many dream of. Congrats!
:iagree:

I agree. Mopar Muscle would find this a good story in the Rare Finds section :yesnod:
PETE

"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

JohnnyBee

Couga,

Welcome!

Hookup with me if you want. I run the http://www.71superbee.com and http://www.superbeeregistry.com/ web sites.

The prefix for your URL will be http://www.71superbee.com/Your_Name.

You provide me with necessary information, photos, and materials regarding your Bee. The more information you provide, the more interesting your site will be to our visitors.

You can update your site as many times as you like - there are no restrictions!

On the http://www.superbeeregistry.com/ web site, I have a swap meet section for Super Bee owners

johnny bee

WM23N1

1971 Super Bee 383 "The WM23N1" http://1971-1974dodgecharger.com/

Nupe

That is such a steal and I'm SO jealous!  Congrats on the score and cool wife for telling you to turn around and look at it.   :icon_smile_cool:

I like the white top.  So how about some more pics?   :yesnod:

'79 Lil'Red Express.

chrisII

huumph  an here i figured i got a steal buying my 72 in similar(not quite as nice) shape with an abused 360 for a grand..congrats and its cool to see your puting it back to its former glory..this car will stand out much better in its factory color than in plum crazy.

Couga

Thanks everyone ,

on a side not I have a option to uy a ramcharger setup for a flat hood (so it looks like it would have the hood bubble) If I bought this would it take away from my car or should I just leave it with what I have now?
I would love to have a air grabber setup for the 383.
I just love the look of it.

TruckDriver

I have never seen a air grabber on a '71 Bee. I'd leave it the way it is.
PETE

Couga

check the 71 registry there is a few on there, i think it's beu-t-ful :)
and I will register soon  :icon_smile_big:

Brock Samson

:wave: WELCOME !! and Congrats on the Sweet Deal, & as far as that ramcharger setup, i'd get it if i was you as they are pretty dear and hard to find these days..
This is the best site on the web!  :yesnod:

Cool car!  your a lucky man!

rich4406bbl

If you can get a COMPLETE ramcharger set-up for the car at a reasonably price then get it. It could cost you close to 4500.00 if you have to get everything individually. Some of the parts are down right close to impossible to find and very expensive like an original switch and solenoid. Air cleaners for a 383 for this hood are quite common and show up on ebay often as do most of the other parts.

41husk

1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Goldfinger71

Wow!....What a deal!.....Great car!........Great story! :icon_smile_cool:
1971 Charger R/T   GY9 Dark Gold Metallic, V1Y Gold Top, GY4 Light Gold Interior- A/C, Rimblow, PW, Front Disc, AM-FM, Tach, Light Package, Slotted Tips, Trailer Tow Package(MIA)and a few other odds and ends...including a luggage rack!

charge69

Congrats!!  Great Charger at an unbelieveable price!  Put it back as original as possible and you will never be sorry!

chargerkid

Nice ride.  We are working on my brothers 71 Bee 383 airgrabber, yellow.  We are working on the passenger quarter panel.  We had to do some modifications to the trunk extensions and fabricate some pieces before we can welld the quarter on.  It's not an aftermarket quarter.  It's one that we cut out of a 72 and using the existing 71 side marker lights.  Just make sure you get either a 71 or 72 quarter panel.  Watch out for the aftermarket stuff.

Darkness

Nice car. Wish I could find deals like that. ::)

Khyron

sooooo, how much did you pay? :lol:

j/k Great looking car man, good luck and feel free to ask as many questions as you need too :D

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

TheGhost

Quote from: Couga on February 14, 2006, 10:41:18 PM
Thanks everyone ,

on a side not I have a option to uy a ramcharger setup for a flat hood (so it looks like it would have the hood bubble) If I bought this would it take away from my car or should I just leave it with what I have now?
I would love to have a air grabber setup for the 383.
I just love the look of it.

I personally prefer the Superbee hood. Plus, not buying the Ramcherger setup will save you a few grand you can put into other, more neccisary parts of the cars restoration.

And, damn, I love those 71 Bee's.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

chargerkid

Your car needs to be repainted.  Keep the Bee hood and get a ramcharger hood.  Paint both of them.  That way you can switch them out.  It will not hurt the value of the car.  I personally think that adding a ramcharger hood wll increase the value.

TruckDriver

You know, I never seen a Bee with a air grabber hood yet. Was it even a option that you could get on the Bee? I've seen them on R/Ts.
PETE

General_01

Yes, the air grabber was an option. Unfortunately, I don't have either on my Bee. I just have a regular bulge hood. The original hood was missingwhen I bought the car in '89.

Nice car Couga. You gotta a great car at a great price.
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

Couga

Here are a few pics I got with a better camera I borrowed from a friend. I would post better pics but upload pixels limits filesize to 11 kb.

this is the paint after i hit it w/compound

General_01

That fender looks good after hitting it with some compound. Post some pics after your done doing it to the whole car.
496 stroker
4-speed

Johnny SixPack

Wow!  :o

Congrats, man! :cheers:

Seems like you're definitely on "carma's" good side. :D

Can't wait to see it progress as you begin the work. :2thumbs:
Johnny's Herd:
'69 Charger SE, '70 Charger R/T SE 496 Six Pack, '72 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron, '74 International Scout II, '85 Ford F-250 Diesel, '97 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

"If its got tits or tires, you're going to have trouble with it." - Unknown

Got Dodge Fever? There's only one cure.....Charger!

Couga

OK,
Update 1-17-2008

I had to put the SuperBee on hold for a little while. Bought a new house with a 4 bay "equipment shelter" that I plan on turning into a garage.
So we bought a house, had to sell the old house- had 2 morgauges at one time....
Sold old house and now the restoration will continue .
I still have not had time to finish assembling the 383 yet...

So,
Once I get the 383 back together/ installed/ broken in Ill get video/pics and post them up. Does anyone know a good way to prime the oil before starting it? I have seen the primer shafts u use with a drill and do before start up- might need to pick one up.
Also, I notice the bottom of the distributor is slotted, so is it safe to say the timing would be dead on or 180 off?
Man this place has changed since I have dissapeared for a little while.

I'm going to need a top and the drivers floorpan for starters.
And Im having trouble deciding if I should make it a straight HT car or put the white vinyl top back on..

Missed ya guys, just been busy taking care of things/house/wife/kid, now he's 6 years old and is eager to help dad work on the Superbee, he tells all his frends it's the coolest car.

General_01

I like the HT look myself. My Bee is supposed to have a vinyl top, but I just had the paint guys paint it black and put the trim back on. If I ever get it painted again, I will do the same thing again. Just my  :Twocents:.

Kinda cool your gonna have a little helper. :2thumbs: Post the pics when you can.
496 stroker
4-speed

Couga

Thanks,
I think I will put the vinyl top back on-it has kinda grown on me now that I think about it. My father said it wouldn't be my car if it did not have it on... but I have to source a rust free top to replace the one that is on it now. It has rusted out across the front near the top of the winshield.

I had gave an Idea to turn it to a Hemi car, but I think I will be just as happy making it a 440 6/pk later on , always wanted one  :2thumbs:

List of pieces I need so far to get this going:
New top
drivers floorpan
turnsignal lens and cover for passenger side rear quarter (where my father backed into it by accident)
I might need a quarter panel for the driver's side and possibly the outer wheelwell for that side as well.
New leafsprings/shackles
New gastank and straps.

It came with the 14x6 Magnum 500's, going to upgrade to 15x7 front 15x8 rear .
I have alot on the plate in '08 but I am going to drive the Bee this year. I can't stand to see it sit anymore.

Many thanks to those who give insight/help in advance,
Trying to make a dream become reality.
Steve

69bronzeT5

Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

71 Bee Man

Quote from: Couga on January 17, 2008, 05:54:33 PM
OK,
Update 1-17-2008

I had to put the SuperBee on hold for a little while. Bought a new house with a 4 bay "equipment shelter" that I plan on turning into a garage.
So we bought a house, had to sell the old house- had 2 morgauges at one time....
Sold old house and now the restoration will continue .
I still have not had time to finish assembling the 383 yet...

So,
Once I get the 383 back together/ installed/ broken in Ill get video/pics and post them up. Does anyone know a good way to prime the oil before starting it? I have seen the primer shafts u use with a drill and do before start up- might need to pick one up.
Also, I notice the bottom of the distributor is slotted, so is it safe to say the timing would be dead on or 180 off?
Man this place has changed since I have dissapeared for a little while.

I'm going to need a top and the drivers floorpan for starters.
And Im having trouble deciding if I should make it a straight HT car or put the white vinyl top back on..

Missed ya guys, just been busy taking care of things/house/wife/kid, now he's 6 years old and is eager to help dad work on the Superbee, he tells all his frends it's the coolest car.

Hi Couga,

sounds like you've got a great car on your hands, but unfortunately I can't see it. My computer won't allow any of your pictures to be displayed. I don't suppose you have a seperate website somewhere do you ?

Peter
Add your details to the Forum members List. Visit this thread to find out more :
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,21133.240.html

Couga

Messing around in photoshop

These are the pics I have from after moving them to the new home.
The other car is my 69' Cougar that i have had since highschool.
I'll have to rehost the old pics that I first posted, will do that when I get home later on tomorrow.

Couga

Peter,
I just saw your 71 bee in your avitar and that Blue is absolutely gorgeous. :2thumbs:
Mine is like a burnt copper color, I dont remember the paint code.
I know it came from the factory with the HD suspension, HD Transmission, but with  open diff and 4wheel non power drum brakes.
I'd like to change it to disc upfront and add a posi later on as well.

Thanks,
Steve

Couga

The pics above do not do the car justice. These were taken with my digital camcorder, that has the option to be used as a camera as well.
I was messing with the settings and that is how they turned out.
I have removed the pics from the original post in this thread and was going to reup them- but photobucket is being a pain in the a$$.
So when I can finally login to my PB account I will reupload the original pics and update the thread with what I have.

Couga

Ok, these ore the pics that were up on the original posting.

I will try to get some more up that I have later on.
Steve

Couga

Sorry for the double.triple post but I have been hanging around and finding out a wealth of info that I did not know before.
This place is awesome :2thumbs:

Couga

Wow, no comments? maybe I should start a buildup thread when I get the 383 back together and video the first crank/breakin . :scratchchin:

71 Bee Man

Quote from: Couga on January 19, 2008, 12:54:11 AM
Wow, no comments? maybe I should start a buildup thread when I get the 383 back together and video the first crank/breakin . :scratchchin:

G'day Couga,

always to see other peoples Super Bee's. I think you'll like it more with front disc brakes. As for the diff, I've just finished rebuilding mine with a 3.55 Sure Grip from Moparts P&S. Runs great and only did the axle bearings a couple of days ago as well. It's never ending on these cars, isn't it ? :shruggy:

Peter
Sydney, Australia.
Add your details to the Forum members List. Visit this thread to find out more :
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,21133.240.html

mikesbbody

couga, great score  :2thumbs: you definitly should put your car on johnny bee's site that's THE place for 71 super bee's

Couga

Peter,
Yes it's never ending- If I get the top replaced and the new motor back in and some fresh rubber I'm taking it on a small road trip.

Mike,
I plan on getting it on th site, I work at nights and sleep most of the day - so I haven't had much time to do it but it will be there :)

I also had a bad experience last week, I was on the way home- just around the corner from my house and a deer jumped out in front of me and I hit it. Well I got lucky and it didnt go through the winshield it flew over the drivers side of the car and landed in a ditch. As I stopped it got up and ran off. So now I have had to source a hood and new headlights for my 91 notchback mustang 4cyl I use for my daily.

I believe I saw a thread with Butterbee asking about a certain aftermarket mfg body parts?
I believe I will need a drivers side lower patch panel, and I was wondering about the fit. Or would it just be better to get  a clean 1/4 cut off and sent to me off another car?

I'll take pics of what I am talking about and post up tomorrow.

The list gets longer and longer.... lol

Couga

Update::
Met Goldfinger 71 at a local shop that I plan on having my top replaced at.
Got things taken care of so now I can turn my attention back to the 'Bee.
I'll get pics/video once I get the engine in.

hemi68charger

Again, I'll say WOW !!!!  That is one nice car at a grand...........  Actually nice color combination..............    :2thumbs:
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

mikesbbody

couga, id just like to add build it how you want it I know some guys will tell you not to put the ram charger hood on etc but its your car i say do what you want as long as it can be changed back  :2thumbs: once again great score and a great price  :2thumbs:

Couga

Wow,
It's been a looooong time...

I have acquired some parts since the last time I got here. New Qtr panels are on the way, and a inner wheelhouse and trunk extension for the driver's side.

Talked to the shop about replacing the sheetmetal, so things are moving forward. I will know once I get the parts in. Now I need a drivers side floor pan, or do they make these 1 piece now?

I'll update the thread soon,
Thanks,
Steve

FJ6N96

Couga

Ok,
Update..
I have 2 ful Qrtr panels, drivers side innner wheelhouse, and trunk extension on the way from AMD. I was pleasantly advised that these are stamped and the original thickness sheetmetal from Dave and will post pics when I get them home. :2thumbs:

Still looking for a floorpan, and possibly a roof.

I have been turning the "equipment shelter" into a garage so I can work on the Bee and the Cougar.

I have to say I'm looking forward to getting this on the road finally, even though it will probably be months ahead.

Thanks FJ6N96 I will go check the site out and register it as well.

383 Magnum is coming along nicely, I put in a mopar purple shaft 272 duration cam ,(if I remember correctly) I think it was a little more than factory- think I am going to have to use a stall converter with this? I am also running a factory intake as well.

Thanks in adavance,

Steve