News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Aftermarket air con systems installs? Success stories or not?

Started by Bob T, January 11, 2013, 07:51:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob T

Having just done a hot summer roadtrip with just the windows down and vent open for airflow, I've been wondering what other options are out there and whose done it successfully? Mine's a 68 R/T and has the dash controls, albeit non functional, with fan and heater box but is missing everything else in the engine bay except for the pipework. I guess it all got binned years ago when the new manifold was fitted.    What other retro fit type systems are out there? Cheers  
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

Dmichels

As I understand you have an original AC car? I am in the same boat and have looked into it. If your under dash AC is intact. You can get a modern dash forward kit from Vintage Air.
Dave
68 440 4 speed 4.10

Bob T

Quote from: Dmichels on January 11, 2013, 10:27:12 PM
As I understand you have an original AC car? I am in the same boat and have looked into it. If your under dash AC is intact. You can get a modern dash forward kit from Vintage Air.
Dave

Yes, its an original a/c car, the control knobs are still on the dash pad and still slide but not much else happens from there, the plastic guts of the slider switch has fallen to bits so will have a look at the vintage air website. Ideally the plan would be to utilise the existing Dodge controls for the ''correct'' look at least inside the cabin anyway, I would expect the compressor pump and brackets would look different to stock.
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

mauve66

as a side note to those with a heat only dash wanting to go to AC:

don't try to convert your dash for an original AC look, aftermarket kits for heat only cars aren't designed to work with AC dash controls, they only work with heat controls, no mixing and matching according to classic auto air

i wanted the dash side to look completely original to an AC car so i bought the AC Dash controls (1 year only/very hard to find), had a new EL button setup made and bought all the Vents to put into my heat dash frame
almost bought a new AC dash panel for the switch to sit in and then found this out from classic auto air, whew, that was close, lesson learned, thankfully i didn't cut my dash yet
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

Rolling_Thunder

Classic Auto Air will sell a "firewall forward" style kit that replaces everything in the engine bay (hoses, compressor, dryer, condenser) and uses your stock A/C evap box - your stock evap box will use your stock a/c controls.

OR

If you have time, money, and more ambition than brain cells - you can do what I did. I used a hot rod A/C box that uses VAC pods to control the doors. The vac pods are not as reliable as electric actuators - but remember your stock Evap box uses VAC - so I used my stock controls (modified slightly) to work my aftermarket A/C box. This allowed me a shaved firewall by routing my A/C lines under the passenger side fender. It wasn't super difficult if you have some electrical know how and can "kit-bash" two different electrical diagrams together.
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Bob T

Thanks for the replies. Rolling Thunder, I have time, ambition and I don't like spending money unnecessarily  :lol:, but as I'm an electrical contractor I would be able to cobble two systems together. Am interested to see how you did yours,  at this stage its just at the enquiry level though, did you have a build thread or an you put a few pics up.  :cheers:
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

Charger_Dart

My car was an original A/C car that was missing everything forward of the firewall when I got it. I found a condenser at a swap meet and one of the hard lines. I then had Classic auto air send me the rest of the parts to piece it together. It has worked well for many years now and doesn't look too bad IMHO.

68 Charger R/T & 68 Dart GT Convertible

bill440rt

There is something to be said about the tried & true vac operated heater/AC box.
My CAA box ate a servo last season, the one that switches from floor to dash. CAA however, is great. They sent me a free replacement, even though it was out of the warranty period. "We just want our customers who paid for our systems to have working A/C" was their response to me when I told them about the problem.  :2thumbs:

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: bill440rt on January 13, 2013, 10:12:15 AM
There is something to be said about the tried & true vac operated heater/AC box.
My CAA box ate a servo last season, the one that switches from floor to dash. CAA however, is great. They sent me a free replacement, even though it was out of the warranty period. "We just want our customers who paid for our systems to have working A/C" was their response to me when I told them about the problem.  :2thumbs:

CAA is awesome when it comes to customer service...    I do like the VAC operation pods.   
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

rt green

i thought about using one of those under dash units that look like dealer installed units. the one i have was found in a 71 satellite
third string oil changer

warpspeed

Charger-Dart, do you mind telling us what you paid for that part of the system that you bought.  That is what I am looking to do when I am able to finish everthing later this year. 

Charger_Dart

Quote from: warpspeed on January 22, 2013, 09:16:34 AM
Charger-Dart, do you mind telling us what you paid for that part of the system that you bought.  That is what I am looking to do when I am able to finish everthing later this year. 

I don't think the pricing will be very useful since I purchased it in 2006, but at that time it was around $500. They were very helpful in putting together the pieces I needed and getting the water valve rebuilt for me.
68 Charger R/T & 68 Dart GT Convertible

warpspeed

Understand price difference over the years,  but still viable for what is needed.  Thanks.  That is where I thought it would be.  Need to do that as soon as I finish starting up the 68 later this spring.