News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How to get cigarette stink out of a car?

Started by Mytur Binsdirti, January 18, 2013, 07:54:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mytur Binsdirti

I just bought a used work van & the previous owner was a smoker. It's got a rubber mat on the floor & cardboard headliner that is cloth covered. Does anyone have any idea how to get that hideous stench out?   :shruggy:

b5blue

Lots of cheap Vodka......Buy 3 bottles, get a garden sprayer and 3 rolls of paper towels. Spray the whole inside of the van, wetting and wiping as you go with the first 2 bottles. Use the 3rd bottle as a back-up to resoak any cloth or drink with orange juice till you are ether done or don't care.  :2thumbs:
  It works except in the A/C system. Peroxide cleans most cloth and carpet "organic" stains, coffee, soda, body funk and so on, Apply and wet vac or absorb with towels. 

Chatt69chgr

Ozone will get rid of it.  I believe that's what the car dealers use.  The cheapest machines cost several hundred dollars.  You might be able to find someone in your area that would perform this service for you.  Maybe someone the used car lots use.  Might check with ServePro and see if they could help.  You set up the machine inside the vehicle and let it run for several hours.  The ozone is toxic but it changes from O3 back to O2 (pure oxygen) in a hour or so.  Just don't want to breath the O3. 

1970Moparmann

I purchased a four year old police car from my city years ago and it smelled like crap, not smoke though.  I took the seats out, rubber floor, and took the dash apart and you wouldn't believe the the dust / dirt / overall crap I found.  I would think your work van is going to be the same.  There was so much crap under the rubber mat, that if I were you, take it out and do it right.  You may think your smell is all smoke, but it is also dirt that the other crap.   Just my  :Twocents:.
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

limegreen69

Yup, ozone machine will do it.Did it to van of mine a long time ago. incredible difference.

skip68

Start smoking.  Then you won't notice it.    :icon_smile_big:
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

projectanimal

Fart.... A LOT!   :smilielol:

I bought an 80s car and it had a funk...   NAPA (and I'm sure all auto stores) sell car Bombs.  Like bug bombs with different scents.  Open the vents, close all windows and set the bomb off over night.    :2thumbs:
northwest CT

mrsskip68

Yea those ozone machines are great. That's what they use in hotel rooms if someone smokes in a non-smoking room. Once you get the van to your preferred cleanliness level, buy a couple bottles of febreze and spray the hell out of it. I would keep a bottle in the van for random smells that will pop up as the weather heats up.  :Twocents:

Lisa

oldgold69

pimp oil  put it on a paper towel in the ash tray  close the car for a couple days  the whole car will stink like what ever scent you pick for ever

DC_1

I would have thought the curry smell from your turbin would take care of that.

MoparSam

Apples. Buy a bag, slice them up, and set them on cardboard on the dash and seats. Then let them dry out. Lots of sunshine helps the process. Repeat as needed.
'68 Charger R/T 440
'74 D-100 Adventurer 318
'75 Ramcharger 360 4x4 4 Speed
'78 Ramcharger 360 4x4 4 Speed
'67 Dart GT (Soon 440)
'05 Ram 1500 4.7
1/2 '71 Dart

Mytur Binsdirti

Well, I found an auto detailer that has an ozone machine & he said that he'll wash the interior first to get the worst out & depending how bad it is, he'll put an ozone machine (or two) in it & let it sit overnight.    :2thumbs:

1BAD68

An ozone machine won't do it. I have a commercial duty one and have tried it on different vehicle's with no luck.
The only thing that will work is thorough scrubbing of every surface that can be washed.

Mytur Binsdirti

For the $150.00 that hthey are charging, I'm more than glad to let them do it.

rt green

use mouthwash. that's what they clean up crime scenes with. don't ask how i know. nothing gets past that stuff.
third string oil changer

Tilar

I've bought and flipped a lot of older cars. It's mostly in that cheap cloth covered piece of cardboard headlinder. I clean the seats and the visors and use an upholstery cleaner on that headliner and you'll be good to go. Never tried an ozone machine in a car but I can tell you they won't take the smoke or candle smell out of a rent house.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

odcics2

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on January 18, 2013, 07:54:27 AM
I just bought a used work van & the previous owner was a smoker. It's got a rubber mat on the floor & cardboard headliner that is cloth covered. Does anyone have any idea how to get that hideous stench out?   :shruggy:

Torch the car??   :flame:  :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

JB400

First off, if the weather's good, roll the windows down, and open up the doors.  Let it air out.  Nature alone will take some of the smell out of it.  After that, it's just a matter of wiping everything down and if easily possible, replace the air duct hoses on the heater.  Otherwise, your heater will still smell like smoke.  Maybe, a high concentrate deodorizer will help it out as well.  Afternoon project.

Ram07

I work in various grouphomes and such....gets a little stanky at times....we have a spray, it has no smell to it...called Medisafe, odor and cleanser...sprayed the crap outta a truck with cigarette smell...worked...and in the house for nasty stuff...Works well...give it a try! 

cant buy it in retail stores, more like commercial cleaning stores!