News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Any Viper people on here?

Started by RECHRGD, January 09, 2013, 01:20:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RECHRGD

I've recently been thinking that for the last 15 years, I've been trying to re-live my childhood with the Charger.  It may be time to move on to something from the 21st century for one last indulgence.  I've been looking at Viper pricing, specifically 2005 SRT 10 models.  The Kelly blue book has them in the mid 30k range, assuming excellent condition.  When looking on eBay, Craigslist, or anywhere they're listed for sale, they're mostly in the 45 to 60K range.  What's up with that?
13.53 @ 105.32

Mytur Binsdirti

Take your pick; supply & demand, dreamers, or exceptionally nice cars.

JB400

They are either dealers that bought them at book value looking to make a profit, or owners that don't know how much they're worth and just want that much for them.  Be patient, you'll find the car you're looking for.  Any particular color/stripe package you're looking for?  Coupe or convertible?

I'm not an owner, but I like to dream  :drool5:

RECHRGD

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on January 09, 2013, 01:25:40 PM
They are either dealers that bought them at book value looking to make a profit, or owners that don't know how much they're worth and just want that much for them.  Be patient, you'll find the car you're looking for.  Any particular color/stripe package you're looking for?  Coupe or convertible?

I'm not an owner, but I like to dream  :drool5:

I haven't really gotta serious yet, as I'd need to sell the Charger first.  I do prefer the coupe and the silver is sexy.....
13.53 @ 105.32

Indygenerallee

I had a chance to drive a 97 GTS back when I was a tech at the dealership, unfortunately my knees hit the dash before my ass hit the seat so I could not drive it!! Being 6'8 is a beeyotch sometimes!!!  :flame:
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

moparstuart

Quote from: RECHRGD on January 09, 2013, 01:20:56 PM
I've recently been thinking that for the last 15 years, I've been trying to re-live my childhood with the Charger.  It may be time to move on to something from the 21st century for one last indulgence.  I've been looking at Viper pricing, specifically 2005 SRT 10 models.  The Kelly blue book has them in the mid 30k range, assuming excellent condition.  When looking on eBay, Craigslist, or anywhere they're listed for sale, they're mostly in the 45 to 60K range.  What's up with that?
I just put a viper tranny in my car does that count   :rofl: :rofl:   keep the charger   :Twocents:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: Indygenerallee on January 09, 2013, 02:55:15 PM
I had a chance to drive a 97 GTS back when I was a tech at the dealership,

I bought a blue/white GTS new in '97.  :icon_smile_big:

Ponch ®

Viper is on my "to own some day" list right after a 2nd gen charger. I'd go with a 96-up GTS. I like the 03-09's, but my problem with those is that most of them are roadsters and I've never been a convertible/roadster guy.

I look on CL every now and then for shits and giggles and here in SoCal they're still going from the low 30's to 60-70s for a newer one. There are some very early ones for mid 20's, but I get the feeling one would just be buying someone else's problem.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

RECHRGD

Quote from: Ponch ® on January 10, 2013, 01:34:33 PM
Viper is on my "to own some day" list right after a 2nd gen charger. I'd go with a 69-up GTS. I like the 03-09's, but my problem with those is that most of them are roadsters and I've never been a convertible/roadster guy.

I look on CL every now and then for shits and giggles and here in SoCal they're still going from the low 30's to 60-70s for a newer one. There are some very early ones for mid 20's, but I get the feeling one would just be buying someone else's problem.

Agreed....  It seems the only ones anywhere reasonably priced are high mileage or have issues....
13.53 @ 105.32

JB400

You do have to stop and think a little bit about the early Vipers, they are 20 years old right now or almost.  While I'm sure some of them have problems, I say a lot of the reason for the price drop is due to depreciation in value.

Ponch ®

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on January 10, 2013, 04:00:38 PM
You do have to stop and think a little bit about the early Vipers, they are 20 years old right now or almost.  While I'm sure some of them have problems, I say a lot of the reason for the price drop is due to depreciation in value.

that, and they are kinda ugly. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't kick one to the curb, but the 96-02 coupes were arguably the best looking vipers until now.

this one's been up for sale for a looong time

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/ctd/3534982605.html

Some of them just look dated:

or if you can't afford the real thing,here's this stunner:

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/3531238554.html
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

chop0502

Hello, I had a 99 GTS with 40000 miles on it. I sold it a year ago and recently bought a 68 Charger. The Viper had a front end accident in 02 but was only cosmetic and drove straight. I had to replace tire rod ends when I bought it and the air conditioning never worked. I had it in the shop three times but they never figured it out. If you have a family and this is going to be your only toy stay with the Charger, If not the Viper is a blast and gets tons of attention, especially with the younger crowd. As far as performance, of course the Viper is going to win, had mine up to 180 no problem, but the ride is stiff and it is tight inside. Loved mine, but love the Charger as much and I can work on it and the whole family can enjoy.

bull

Quote from: Ponch ® on January 10, 2013, 04:08:09 PM
Quote from: stroker400 wedge on January 10, 2013, 04:00:38 PM

that, and they are kinda ugly. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't kick one to the curb, but the 96-02 coupes were arguably the best looking vipers until now.

this one's been up for sale for a looong time

Canary yella? :P I couldn't do that color on a Viper. That might be why it won't sell. :shruggy: But I prefer that body style over some of the newer ones. They look too much like Corvettes IMO.

1970Moparmann

I almost pulled the trigger on a 95 a year ago that had 8,000 miles on it.  The owner wanted $24k for it.   :2thumbs:  During the time, everyone told me to get a 99 - 2002.   

Check with your insurance company, I heard insurance can be a nightmare due to how many people total them.  :shruggy:
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

JPL

I have one, a '94, absolutely love it, agreed, not for everyone but man what a car. I loved it from day one, everything about it, no side windows, no door handles, sidepipes, V-10, 6 speed, 43" tall & miles wide, steamroller tires, ac,  and on and on. I like that you hardly see any of them. Also, I like the fact that there are aftermarket parts for them, like my hardtop & lockable sliding windows, plus there is a great car club, the VCA, (Viper Club of America), filled with knowledgeable people very willing to answer any questions and voice their opinion on anything from oil filters to superchargers. No regrets.

RECHRGD

Quote from: JPL on January 25, 2013, 07:39:18 AM
I have one, a '94, absolutely love it, agreed, not for everyone but man what a car. I loved it from day one, everything about it, no side windows, no door handles, sidepipes, V-10, 6 speed, 43" tall & miles wide, steamroller tires, ac,  and on and on. I like that you hardly see any of them. Also, I like the fact that there are aftermarket parts for them, like my hardtop & lockable sliding windows, plus there is a great car club, the VCA, (Viper Club of America), filled with knowledgeable people very willing to answer any questions and voice their opinion
Nice car!!  Question.....do the side mirrors fold in?  That thing looks so wide, I don't know if it would fit on my four post lift....

13.53 @ 105.32

moparstuart

I have one, a '94, absolutely love it, agreed, not for everyone but man what a car. I loved it from day one, everything about it, no side windows, no door handles, sidepipes, V-10, 6 speed, 43" tall & miles wide, steamroller tires, ac,  and on and on. I like that you hardly see any of them. Also, I like the fact that there are aftermarket parts for them, like my hardtop & lockable sliding windows, plus there is a great car club, the VCA, (Viper Club of America), filled with knowledgeable people very willing to answer any questions and voice their opinion on anything from oil filters to superchargers. No regrets.

Chris Marshall former club president  lives right by me  , great cars and great guy !!  He does the national magazine now .

JPL

Quote from: RECHRGD on January 25, 2013, 10:29:34 AM
I have one, a '94, absolutely love it, agreed, not for everyone but man what a car. I loved it from day one, everything about it, no side windows, no door handles, sidepipes, V-10, 6 speed, 43" tall & miles wide, steamroller tires, ac,  and on and on. I like that you hardly see any of them. Also, I like the fact that there are aftermarket parts for them, like my hardtop & lockable sliding windows, plus there is a great car club, the VCA, (Viper Club of America), filled with knowledgeable people very willing to answer any questions and voice their opinion
Nice car!!  Question.....do the side mirrors fold in?  That thing looks so wide, I don't know if it would fit on my four post lift....

Thanks! Yup they fold in, fyi, back in the day Chrysler went to the parts bin for a couple parts on the Viper, the mirrors for example, they are off a Stealth.....

Overall Length 175.1   
Overall Width 75.7 
Overall Height 43.5   
Ground Clearance 4.5 
Curb Weight - Est. 3,356 lbs. 
Weight Distribution, F/R 50/50 

Low & wide:
found this random vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IjD99Ou5qo

Ponch ®

sweet ride...but you gotta do something about those wheels. They scream "early 90's" like a Vanilla Ice record.

JPL

Quote from: Ponch ® on January 25, 2013, 01:43:14 PM

sweet ride...but you gotta do something about those wheels. They scream "early 90's" like a Vanilla Ice record.

Yeah, I was thinking about it, but's just another thing that separates the first generation Viper from the rest. I was looking at a set of HRE's but decided against it........for now.  ;)

RECHRGD

The more I surf for pricing that's anywhere close to what the Kelly Blue Book lists for these cars for, the more discouraged I get.  In most cases, they're 40 to 100+ percent low.  That is unless these listings are drastically negotiated down, but I doubt it.
13.53 @ 105.32

aussiemuscle

i'd like a Viper, but not at $140,000AUD (starting price for imported ones). :shruggy:

Mytur Binsdirti

Here's the best color combination.  :icon_smile_big:

moparstuart

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on January 26, 2013, 06:33:19 AM
Here's the best color combination.  :icon_smile_big:
personally i think the GTS coupe is the best looking one so far also,.   I like the White with blue stripe combo also

JPL

Quote from: moparstuart on January 26, 2013, 11:03:39 AM
Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on January 26, 2013, 06:33:19 AM
Here's the best color combination.  :icon_smile_big:
personally i think the GTS coupe is the best looking one so far also,.   I like the White with blue stripe combo also

A red sidepipe roadster always topped my list, followed closely by a white striped blue GTS, until I saw the 2013 at the unveil.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nrpie6VUx2E