News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

political correctness

Started by polywideblock, January 09, 2013, 12:22:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

polywideblock

hi just wondering how p.c. (political correctness)has affected the hobby over there? we've just been told that the sat night strip show at this years street machine nationals has been nixt .  two years ago it was the wet t shirt comp  to make it more "family "friendly now this .I'm all for family participation but hell take the kids home at 6 o'clock and let the adults have some fun!left the last club i was in because a "wifey" got into social sec. position and from that point on ALL cruises were from Micky D's to hungry jacks and back to burger king (everywhere had to have a playground so mum could let the sprogs run amok and not have to worry about them) . this P.C. thing sucks

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

Daytona R/T SE

"Political correctness" Has ruined modern society.

It has removed the testicles of the modern man and hairied the chests of modern women.

I refuse to participate.

twodko

Within reason, if its a duck, I call it a duck!
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

JB400

Don't worry, I still say Merry Christmas :icon_smile_big:

In all honesty though, I think this could go both ways.  I don't mind seeing the adult fun stuff come out, but it does need to come out later on in the evening.  There is a time for family-friendly events and there's time for adults only.  I haven't had the opportunity yet to see the MATS or other big events yet, but I can speak for what's on tv and at the local hangouts.  I wish tv programmers would put more family friendly shows on after the news at 6pm.  I remember when Disney had programming on the weekends showing movies and cartoons after dinner.  Other channels had similar programming.  Now, it's shooting, cursing, sex, and domestic violence.  The comedy shows aren't that funny either.( A couple of exemptions though).  Personally, I don't like Fox having thier adult cartoons on Sunday evening airing as early as they do.  They're not suitable for young kids to watch.  Very few channels are worth watching as a family.

On a local level,  I'll give a  :2thumbs: for everyone holding off on the adult activities until after 9pm.  Some even hold off until 11.  Like I said, there's a time for family, and then there's time for the adults.  In the end, everyone has a chance to have fun.

Highway by the Sea

I have said for years that the beginning of someone being offended is NOT the end of my First Amendment rights.  To quote U.S. District Judge John E. Sprizzo, "You've got to be very careful in First Amendment cases to maintain the barriers, because it's so easy to slip into a kind of political correctness that sooner or later will be the end of the First Amendment'' .  This is also my philosophy.  

Ghoste

Not a fan of political correctness in any fashion.  It has caused more harm than good in my opinion.  I would much rather see the return and promotion of common sense.

Highway by the Sea

Quote from: Ghoste on January 09, 2013, 12:20:05 PM
Not a fan of political correctness in any fashion.  It has caused more harm than good in my opinion.  I would much rather see the return and promotion of common sense.

I am totally with you on that Ghoste.  Unfortunately we now live in a world where Common Sense is NOT so common.

Mike DC

Try going to an import/tuner event and then tell me about PC ruining car shows.  

The classic car hobby is squeaky-clean because the average car owner has changed since 1983.  They've gotten older and have families.

polywideblock

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on January 09, 2013, 05:02:03 PM

Try going to an import/tuner event and then tell me about PC ruining car shows.  

The classic car hobby is squeaky-clean because the average car owner has changed since 1983.  They've gotten older and have families.

some of us have just got older :2thumbs:

Robert96

I'm with Ghoste, COMMON FREAKING SENSE!!  But I'm not holding my breath

bull

It's probably got more to do with the age of the crowd than it does being PC in many cases. If you look at the tuner crowd they're known doing bikini/wet t-shirt contests and all that stuff but they are probably averaging in the 20-30 y/o range whereas most muscle car guys are in the 45-60 range. It's probably hard to convince the wife your car show is a good way to introduce the grandkids to muscle cars when she sees two topless chicks up on stage rubbing butts.

Budnicks

PC crap... I agree, the common sense would be the best way to approach the situation, if someone doesn't like what's going on, they can take the younger children or themselves somewhere else, so they don't have to see T&A on display, one persons rights shouldn't infringe on anyone else's either, it's all your choice whether to expose younger people or yourself to a adult scene, IMHFO I would say events should do what brings in the crowds & have a warning, that there will be an adult oriented event at a certain hour, to be warned... I never thought the T&A shows belonged at car shows either but, there's a time & a place for that stuff too & I can just leave if I don't like it, I won't force my views on the masses, like so many of our liberal politicians seem to want to do now... IMHFO we all have a choice, if you don't like what your seeing on TV, at a Car show or a Movie etc., you can change the channel, go somewhere else in the cars show, go to a different movie or theater, you don't have to make anyone who enjoys something suffer, just because you don't care for it... Common Sense Prevails, too bad the stupid idios we have in DC currently, can't ever see that simple fact of common sense, we have enough of our rights being infringed on these days, from the current crop of corrupt liberal idiots we have in Political office from the top to the bottom today, I'm sure we don't need more stupid regulations or more stupid PC crap, at Car show of all places....  :Twocents:
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

polywideblock

Quote from: Budnicks on January 10, 2013, 04:10:15 PM
PC crap... I agree, the common sense would be the best way to approach the situation, if someone doesn't like what's going on, they can take the younger children or themselves somewhere else, so they don't have to see T&A on display, one persons rights shouldn't infringe on anyone else's either, it's all your choice whether to expose younger people or yourself to a adult scene, IMHFO I would say events should do what brings in the crowds & have a warning, that there will be an adult oriented event at a certain hour, to be warned... I never thought the T&A shows belonged at car shows either but, there's a time & a place for that stuff too & I can just leave if I don't like it, I won't force my views on the masses, like so many of our liberal politicians seem to want to do now... IMHFO we all have a choice, if you don't like what your seeing on TV, at a Car show or a Movie etc., you can change the channel, go somewhere else in the cars show, go to a different movie or theater, you don't have to make anyone who enjoys something suffer, just because you don't care for it... Common Sense Prevails, too bad the stupid idios we have in DC currently, can't ever see that simple fact of common sense, we have enough of our rights being infringed on these days, from the current crop of corrupt liberal idiots we have in Political office from the top to the bottom today, I'm sure we don't need more stupid regulations or more stupid PC crap, at Car show of all places....  :Twocents:
:2thumbs:

r4daytona

I agree with the common sense, unfortunately thats becoming a thing of the past. Partially because politicians, news and TV psychologists are telling us all we need to listen to them for common sense.  I'm a high school shop teacher and believe me after doing this for 11 years I think there should be mandatory human sterilization for so many parents that are swimming at the shallow end of the gene pool.  Those younger parents (20's-30's) are watching things like The Jersey Shore, Mean Girls and the Housewives of whatever town, and since they like it, they don't have the common sense to not have it on when their kids are watching it.  Since they haven't had someone teach them common sense or how to be a responsible parent, they rely on TV psychologists or ill informed friends.  I've seen kids get pregnant in 9th grade and then come in here when their kids are one month old like they one a prize or look at my new toy, and some of the liberal women teachers, in their late 20's early 30's, fawn all over with  "oh how cute", "she's so adorable", "he looks just like you".  When, IMHO, they should be saying "what the hell was wrong with you"  There was some truth to the All in the Family song  Those were the Days!  Common sense is going to be a thing of the past. IMHO

F8-4life

I can watch a episode of gunsmoke and learn more then sitting iin school all day hahaha

Old Moparz

Quote from: bull on January 10, 2013, 01:19:44 PM

It's probably got more to do with the age of the crowd than it does being PC in many cases. If you look at the tuner crowd they're known doing bikini/wet t-shirt contests and all that stuff but they are probably averaging in the 20-30 y/o range whereas most muscle car guys are in the 45-60 range. It's probably hard to convince the wife your car show is a good way to introduce the grandkids to muscle cars when she sees two topless chicks up on stage rubbing butts.

I agree, this seems closer to the real answer than car shows trying to be being politically correct or that they lack common sense. (Although the later two have drastically been on the rise....lol)

When I was single or not bringing my daughter along to places I went, I'd occasionally go to the bikini contest at the car shows or check out Miss Direct Connection at the autograph booth. Priorities change when your life does. This is the same reason we don't go to R rated movies as a family, I wait until they're on HBO at night. A guy I work with is around 30 years old & has no kids. He goes to the tuner shows even though he's into the fox body Mustangs. He said it plain & simple, "The tuner shows have the hottest chics wearing the least amount of clothing."  :lol:

As far as being politically correct or having common sense, I think the two are tied together. The lack of common sense will allow one to be either offended by something very minor, or to say something very stupid without thinking. There is a huge difference between wishing a Jew a Merry Christmas & telling them the Holocaust didn't happen. Same goes with telling an ethnic joke to friends at a party & being a bigoted douchebag with no brain that would blurt out racist crap online as if nobody else would ever see, or possibly be offended by it.
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

Budnicks

Quote from: r4daytona on January 11, 2013, 09:08:35 AM
I agree with the common sense, unfortunately thats becoming a thing of the past. Partially because politicians, news and TV psychologists are telling us all we need to listen to them for common sense.  I'm a high school shop teacher and believe me after doing this for 11 years I think there should be mandatory human sterilization for so many parents that are swimming at the shallow end of the gene pool.  Those younger parents (20's-30's) are watching things like The Jersey Shore, Mean Girls and the Housewives of whatever town, and since they like it, they don't have the common sense to not have it on when their kids are watching it.  Since they haven't had someone teach them common sense or how to be a responsible parent, they rely on TV psychologists or ill informed friends.  I've seen kids get pregnant in 9th grade and then come in here when their kids are one month old like they one a prize or look at my new toy, and some of the liberal women teachers, in their late 20's early 30's, fawn all over with  "oh how cute", "she's so adorable", "he looks just like you".  When, IMHO, they should be saying "what the hell was wrong with you"  There was some truth to the All in the Family song  Those were the Days!  Common sense is going to be a thing of the past. IMHO
:2thumbs:

Budnicks

Quote from: Old Moparz on January 11, 2013, 12:07:16 PM

Quote from: bull on January 10, 2013, 01:19:44 PM

I agree, this seems closer to the real answer than car shows trying to be being politically correct or that they lack common sense. (Although the later two have drastically been on the rise....lol)

When I was single or not bringing my daughter along to places I went, I'd occasionally go to the bikini contest at the car shows or check out Miss Direct Connection at the autograph booth. Priorities change when your life does. This is the same reason we don't go to R rated movies as a family, I wait until they're on HBO at night. A guy I work with is around 30 years old & has no kids. He goes to the tuner shows even though he's into the fox body Mustangs. He said it plain & simple, "The tuner shows have the hottest chics wearing the least amount of clothing."  :lol:

As far as being politically correct or having common sense, I think the two are tied together. The lack of common sense will allow one to be either offended by something very minor, or to say something very stupid without thinking. There is a huge difference between wishing a Jew a Merry Christmas & telling them the Holocaust didn't happen. Same goes with telling an ethnic joke to friends at a party & being a bigoted douchebag with no brain that would blurt out racist crap online as if nobody else would ever see, or possibly be offended by it.
well siad  :2thumbs: