News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

4 Door Plymouth Barracuda

Started by Lizey, January 19, 2013, 12:55:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TUFCAT

Quote from: ECS on March 11, 2014, 05:27:07 PM

I explained it on page 6. (I reposted that explanation below.)  You also posted on page 6 so I am surprised you continue to ask questions about things that have already been answered.  The Barracuda SX completely trumps the "opinions" about how Chrysler "NEVER" would have manufactured or wasted money on a Concept vehicle with a "sporty short wheel base design vehicle".  Below is the original quote made by Tufcat on why Chrysler would have "NEVER" made certain Concept cars.  

Tufcats Incorrect Assessment about Concept Cars:
"the process of "styling a vehicle" was not as simple as grafting an existing front and rear onto another body.  Chrysler would NEVER have gone through "such an exercise" in those days......ESPECIALLY to its sporty short wheel base design vehicle.... "

My explanation from page 6:
Chrysler made COMPLETE Concepts that never made it into production.  They "wasted" money just like the other automobile Manufacturers.  It can no longer be said a 4 Door prototype wasn't feasible due to the fact that Chrysler didn't have sufficient funds.  They obviously did!  It can no longer be said  that they wouldn't design something that wasn't logical with respect to certain design features.  They obviously designed them and then completely destroyed them!

This 1967 Concept Barracuda (shown below) dismisses any of those objections even if you choose not to believe that a 4 door Barracuda was actually built.  The possibility does however exist that there was a 4 Door Barracuda as described in Roger Johnson's commentary. If Chrysler could afford to engineer, build and destroy a newly designed vehicle then they could afford to have commissioned their Coach-work affiliates to add two doors to a 1970 Barracuda that was engineered around their "new" 1971 B Body design.

Now there's a change.... We started out with a running/driving prototype built by Chrysler, then we switched to a "coach-work affiliate" adding two doors to a 1970 E-body morphed into a 1971 B-body, that was morphed into an E-body Barracuda with 4-doors.  You have me so confused I can't keep up.

ECS

Quote from: TUFCAT on March 11, 2014, 08:11:05 PM
Now there's a change....

If my one presumptuous observation makes you feel better about your numerous incorrect comments & contradictions, I'll gladly give you that one!  :2thumbs:  :lol:
TIME WILL INEVITABLY UNCOVER DISHONESTY AND LIES!

ECS

Quote from: TUFCAT on March 11, 2014, 08:11:05 PM
We started out with a running/driving prototype built by Chrysler, then we switched to a "coach-work affiliate" adding two doors to a 1970 E-body morphed into a 1971 B-body, that was morphed into an E-body Barracuda with 4-doors.  You have me so confused I can't keep up.

For the record tufty, I haven't changed a thing.  It still could have been a running prototype!  I simply admitted that I should not have presumptuously said it was a running car.  Based on the information I was referencing, I can only state that it was a red 4 Door Barracuda created around a B Body chassis.  Below is the commentary written by Roger Johnson in case you have forgot.  If you want to argue its validity, contact him through his website and dispute it.  http://musclecaravenue.com/

4-Door Barracuda
As an employee of Chrysler Corporation in 1969-70, I had the opportunity to see many things the "general public" never
did.  Not because I was that  important, but because I worked in the mail room and delivering the mail was that
important. One such sight was a bright red 1970, 4-door Barracuda.  It was parked for only about two days on a kind of  
loading dock attached to the back of Chrysler's World Headquarters building in their Highland Park complex.  This was
around November of 1969.  The dock seemed to be a temporary holding cell for an assortment of interesting cars.  It was
the same building Lynn Townsend, Virgil Boyd and more importantly Tom Hoover worked in. Naturally, Chrysler never
made a 4-door Barracuda but the one I saw looked surprisingly good.  I always assumed it was created around a B-body
chassis because the proportions still looked just right despite the obvious body stretch necessary  to pull it off. Having
seen this car is even more significant now since the Autoweek story about Ford using their new Mustang platform to
build other, less sporty cars - like a 4-door.

TUFCAT

Quote from: ECS on March 11, 2014, 09:03:00 PM
For the record tufty, I haven't changed a thing.  It still could have been a running prototype.  I simply admitted that I should not have presumptuously said it was a running car.  Based on the information I was referencing, I can only state that it was a red 4 Door Barracuda created around a B Body chassis.  Below is the commentary written by Roger Johnson in case you have forgot.  If you want to argue its validity, contact him through his website and dispute it.  http://musclecaravenue.com/

:popcrn:

pettybird

I didn't read about the SX...I assumed it was a running car and not a skeleton!

In taking with Roger, did he make mention of the sedan window frames?  Did he give any more details to you beyond what you've quoted?  

I'm on board with a pillarless hardtop made out of fiberglass and bondo...it's totally plausible.

TUFCAT

Quote from: pettybird on March 11, 2014, 09:19:05 PM
I didn't read about the SX...I assumed it was a running car and not a skeleton!

In taking with Roger, did he make mention of the sedan window frames?  Did he give any more details to you beyond what you've quoted? 

I'm on board with a pillarless hardtop made out of fiberglass and bondo...it's totally plausible.

Maybe he saw a 1970 Barracuda funny car body?  Or an actual red unfinished funny car without decals and other distinguishable funny car features?  :shruggy:  You know how long and stretched out they are in the middle.  I can be on board with that. :icon_smile_wink:

ECS

Quote from: pettybird on March 11, 2014, 09:19:05 PM
Did he give any more details to you beyond what you've quoted?  I'm on board with a pillarless hardtop made out of fiberglass and bondo...it's totally plausible.

All I have is that did bit of data.  As I have said before, we are doing a tribute to the Concept that Roger Johnson wrote about.  We know it was not a production vehicle so we decided to do a "What If" scenario.  We are building the Concept 4 Door Barracuda (mentioned in his writing) as if it did make it to production.  I am POSITIVE that what we are doing would not have been done by Chrysler.  If they went to the extremes and trouble that we are going through, the car probably would have been mass produced.  

I'll post additional pictures of the Custom Door Skins that were made for this project and the "hand made" crimped edges that were necessary to attach them to the Door Frames.

TUFCAT

Quote from: ECS on March 11, 2014, 09:30:51 PM

All I have is that did bit of data.  As I have said before, we are doing a tribute to the Concept that Roger Johnson wrote about.  We know it was not a production vehicle so we decided to do a "What If" scenario.  We are building the Concept 4 Door Barracuda (mentioned in his writing) as if it did make it to production.  I am POSITIVE that what we are doing would not have been done by Chrysler.  If they went to the extremes and trouble that we are going through, the car probably would have been mass produced. 

IF you would have just said something this honest on page two, then left it alone we wouldn't have had to go 11 pages.  

ECS

Quote from: TUFCAT on March 11, 2014, 09:22:27 PM
Maybe he saw.......

Whatever he saw I'm sure you'll be the first to correct him on his recollection.  If you do contact him tufty, why don't you tell him what he had for Supper tonight?  Better yet, why don't you tell him if he liked the way it tasted?   :lol:

TUFCAT

Quote from: ECS on March 11, 2014, 09:35:38 PM

Whatever he saw I'm sure you'll be the first to correct him on his recollection.  If you do contact him tufty, why don't you tell him what he had for Supper tonight?  Better yet, why don't you tell him if he liked the way it tasted?   :lol:

I'm not the one building the car. Nor saying it was ever built by Chrysler.  I don't need to ask him anything.  :icon_smile_wink:

ECS

Quote from: TUFCAT on March 11, 2014, 09:33:54 PM
IF you would have just said something this honest on page two, then left it alone we wouldn't have had to go 11 pages.  

You are delusional.  I posted a very SIMPLE comment on the first page and YOU went on your rude tirade two posts later.  Now you want to act like I made this into a federal case?  What a nice way of backtracking and admitting that you were wrong!

TUFCAT

Quote from: ECS on March 11, 2014, 09:48:06 PM
You are delusional.  I posted a very SIMPLE comment on the first page and YOU went on your rude tirade two posts later.  Now you want to act like I made this into a federal case?  What a nice way of backtracking and admitting that you were wrong!

Its always somebody else's fault.

pettybird

JB400

I guess this has gone from building a one off idea to just bickering.

Time to move along

ECS

Quote from: TUFCAT on March 11, 2014, 09:50:28 PM

No.......it's just your fault.

My first post.
We're building the "real" version of the only Concept that was actually made in 1969.  :lol:  We are updating pictures of the project on 3 other Forums.  Below is a link to one of those venues.  We can post updated pictures (here) for those who are interested.

Your response.
What you are looking here is a pure "fantasy"...

My Dad witnessed the development of many (now historical) pre-production cars as they moved through Chrysler engineering at Highland Park within his 35 year career with Chrysler that began in 1965....

His job took him to every corner of engineering, and his office was 200 feet from the engineering paint shop which was in close proximity to the metal and trim shops. He had the run of engineering which included access to the "security room" where early prototypes were built.

I talked to him about this cobbled up abortion of a Barracuda Dave at ECS is trying to convince the world to be some sort of estranged engineering prototype.....

READY FOR THE ANSWER?? 

IT NEVER EXISTED. PERIOD. 

Oh come now, surely one would think that it  "must have happened" because building such car sounds like SUCH A GOOD IDEA...!!   ...oh yes, and SUCH AN EXCELLENT use of valuable TIME AND RESOURCES  to make a 4-door version of Chryslers first year Pony car when NOBODY ELSE WAS DOING IT!!  (Ford and GM)

NOT to mention a BRAND NEW PLATFORM ( called the 1971 B-Body) was currently being developed....SO DO YOU THINK CHRYSLER WOULD SPEND ALL THIS EXTRA MONEY (THEY DIDN'T HAVE AT THE TIME) TO HAND FABRICATE A FOUR DOOR BARRACUDA THAT WAS NEVER PART OF THE PRODUCT PLAN EVER!!!!   - - Just for giggles? 

If such a car EVER EXISTED people like my Dad would have known about. Its a FAKE, a FARSE, and a FABRICATION of FANTASY!   

One more thing for you non-believers to ponder....the process of "styling a vehicle" was not as simple as grafting an existing front and rear onto another body. Chrysler would NEVER have gone through "such an exercise" in those days......ESPECIALLY to its sporty short wheel base design vehicle.... 

Finally, "IF" such an abortion was ever to be created, then one or more "clay bucks" would have been built first....and that would have been expensive.

Chrysler Engineering wasn't like "Romper Room" with a bunch of guys in the corner of the experimental metal shop playing with welders and torches trying to build their own version a 4-door 'Cuda just for "kicks" while their supervisor was on vacation for a week - think about it. 

If he wants to build such a car - go ahead!!  But there's no reason to bullshit people into believing that Chrysler actually built a prototype.

TUFCAT

Quote from: ECS on March 11, 2014, 10:03:40 PM
Quote from: TUFCAT on March 11, 2014, 09:50:28 PM

No.......it's just your fault.

My first post.
We're building the "real" version of the only Concept that was actually made in 1969.  :lol:  We are updating pictures of the project on 3 other Forums.  Below is a link to one of those venues.  We can post updated pictures (here) for those who are interested.

Your response.
What you are looking here is a pure "fantasy"...

My Dad witnessed the development of many (now historical) pre-production cars as they moved through Chrysler engineering at Highland Park within his 35 year career with Chrysler that began in 1965....

His job took him to every corner of engineering, and his office was 200 feet from the engineering paint shop which was in close proximity to the metal and trim shops. He had the run of engineering which included access to the "security room" where early prototypes were built.

I talked to him about this cobbled up abortion of a Barracuda Dave at ECS is trying to convince the world to be some sort of estranged engineering prototype.....

READY FOR THE ANSWER??  

IT NEVER EXISTED. PERIOD.  

Oh come now, surely one would think that it  "must have happened" because building such car sounds like SUCH A GOOD IDEA...!!   ...oh yes, and SUCH AN EXCELLENT use of valuable TIME AND RESOURCES  to make a 4-door version of Chryslers first year Pony car when NOBODY ELSE WAS DOING IT!!  (Ford and GM)

NOT to mention a BRAND NEW PLATFORM ( called the 1971 B-Body) was currently being developed....SO DO YOU THINK CHRYSLER WOULD SPEND ALL THIS EXTRA MONEY (THEY DIDN'T HAVE AT THE TIME) TO HAND FABRICATE A FOUR DOOR BARRACUDA THAT WAS NEVER PART OF THE PRODUCT PLAN EVER!!!!   - - Just for giggles?  

If such a car EVER EXISTED people like my Dad would have known about. Its a FAKE, a FARSE, and a FABRICATION of FANTASY!    

One more thing for you non-believers to ponder....the process of "styling a vehicle" was not as simple as grafting an existing front and rear onto another body. Chrysler would NEVER have gone through "such an exercise" in those days......ESPECIALLY to its sporty short wheel base design vehicle....  

Finally, "IF" such an abortion was ever to be created, then one or more "clay bucks" would have been built first....and that would have been expensive.

Chrysler Engineering wasn't like "Romper Room" with a bunch of guys in the corner of the experimental metal shop playing with welders and torches trying to build their own version a 4-door 'Cuda just for "kicks" while their supervisor was on vacation for a week - think about it.  

If he wants to build such a car - go ahead!!  But there's no reason to bullshit people into believing that Chrysler actually built a prototype.

Is now a bad time to ask for a 10% discount on a jar of your RPM paste?  ???

ws23rt

Good grief ECS---You are starting to stammer.    :smilielol:   I'm remembering another that could not stop :eek2:

ECS

Quote from: TUFCAT on March 11, 2014, 10:09:07 PM
Is now a bad time to ask for a 10% discount on a jar of your RPM paste?

Call and ask for Charlie at our 1-800 number.  Tell him where you want them shipped and I'll instruct him to send you 2 Containers free of charge!  No Joke!   :2thumbs:   :2thumbs:

ECS

Quote from: ws23rt on March 11, 2014, 10:12:36 PM
Good grief ECS---You are starting to stammer.    :smilielol:   I'm remembering another that could not stop :eek2:

Oh well............. :shruggy:

TUFCAT

Quote from: ECS on March 11, 2014, 10:13:12 PM

Call and ask for Charlie at our 1-800 number.  Tell him where you want them shipped and I'll instruct him to send you 2 Containers free of charge!  No Joke!   :2thumbs:   :2thumbs:

Fist bump! I know you would do it.  There's never been any doubt about your generosity or helpfulness to others. In fact I've heard you're actually a pretty nice guy in person.  :thumbs: I'm sure if we met at our kid's baseball game we would hit it off well.  :grouphug:  

Now, is it possible for us to both agree that it could have been a fiberglass/bondo thing that "kinda sorta" looked like a 4-door 'Cuda - - since nobody really knows for sure?

ECS

Quote from: TUFCAT on March 11, 2014, 10:21:02 PM

Fist bump! I know you would do it.  There's never been any doubt about your generosity or helpfulness to others. In fact I've heard you're actually a pretty nice guy in person.  :thumbs: I'm sure if we met at our kid's baseball game we would hit it off well.  :grouphug:

:2thumbs:  :2thumbs:  :2thumbs:

Now, is it possible for us to both agree that it could have been a fiberglass/bondo thing that "kinda sorta" looked like a 4-door 'Cuda - - since nobody really knows for sure?

Sure!  Like I said before, other than what Roger wrote, I couldn't tell you anything else other than what he said.  I have messages into 5 different people that will hopefully be able to shed some light on this topic.  I'll keep you posted.  Thanks TUFCAT!

TUFCAT

AKcharger

Quote from: ECS on March 11, 2014, 10:49:02 PM

Sure!  Like I said before, other than what Roger wrote, I couldn't tell you anything else other than what he said.  I have messages into 5 different people that will hopefully be able to shed some light on this topic.  I'll keep you posted.  Thanks TUFCAT!

I am going to miss this thread though  :-\

ECS

Quote from: AKcharger on March 11, 2014, 11:10:43 PM
I am going to miss this thread though  :-\

Don't go anywhere.  The thread is about to start REALLY getting good!  :coolgleamA: