News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

4 Door Plymouth Barracuda

Started by Lizey, January 19, 2013, 12:55:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ECS

TIME WILL INEVITABLY UNCOVER DISHONESTY AND LIES!

Homerr

Quote from: wingcar on March 10, 2014, 02:21:03 PM
I found this "photoshop" picture (along with the one below) some time ago on Aaron Beck's E-body site.  Unless someone comes up with proof, in the form of office paperwork or a photo, it is and will remain just someone's idea of what a 4dr E-body would look like.   I can't believe all those who actually buy into the fact that Chrysler would have made one of these.   Why would they?  They already had 4dr B-bodies, and I can't see a 4dr E-body being that big a seller......

Bottomline, don't believe everything you see on the internet...even if it was posted by a French model.....

I love it.

The haters can hate.

That Formula SX has some interesting features but it looks like they hired a GM guy to style a Mopar.

AKcharger

I don't think anyone hates Ethel Merman ...How did Ethel Merman get dragged into this!!

TUFCAT

WOW!!  :o  Ethel Merman owned the Barracuda Station Wagon with the woodgrain siding?   I learn something new here everyday! :icon_smile_wink:

AKcharger

Well, to be honest there's no definitive proof, but I think the answer is an Obvious "YES". I mean the parallels of her Broadway days in the Play Gypsy vs. The stealthy development of a 4 dr. E-body station wagon are pretty clear. But what's not clear is why people are dragging her name through the mud, I mean come on she's been dead for 30 years...give her a break!

TUFCAT

Ethel was a hottie.   :drool5: :drool5: :drool5:   - - Ugly 4-door Barracuda station wagon owner or not....

ECS

Quote from: wingcar on March 10, 2014, 06:09:16 PM
With all the pictures of various concepts Chrysler had for the Challenger that have come to light and none of the 4dr pictures survived...that speaks volumes.   My doubting meter is really starting to peg at this point.  Personally, I hope you do come across some pictures....a drawing does not a real car make.

I guess you came into this thread a little late.  It is not a 4 Door Challenger that we are trying to verify.  It is a 4 Door Concept Barracuda.  A Gentleman named Roger Johnson wrote specifically about seeing the car while he was employed by Chrysler in 1969.  This Man is also an Automotive Historian and Writer of more than 30 years.  Below is his recollection about personally seeing the car.  I also included commentary that tells some of his background.  The Man was either telling the truth, was delusional or a blatant liar.  Those are the three choices people have regarding what he wrote.

4-Door Barracuda
As an employee of Chrysler Corporation in 1969-70, I had the opportunity to see many things the "general public" never
did.  Not because I was that  important, but because I worked in the mail room and delivering the mail was that
important. One such sight was a bright red 1970, 4-door Barracuda.  It was parked for only about two days on a kind of  
loading dock attached to the back of Chrysler's World Headquarters building in their Highland Park complex.  This was
around November of 1969.  The dock seemed to be a temporary holding cell for an assortment of interesting cars.  It was
the same building Lynn Townsend, Virgil Boyd and more importantly Tom Hoover worked in. Naturally, Chrysler never
made a 4-door Barracuda but the one I saw looked surprisingly good.  I always assumed it was created around a B-body
chassis because the proportions still looked just right despite the obvious body stretch necessary  to pull it off. Having
seen this car is even more significant now since the Autoweek story about Ford using their new Mustang platform to
build other, less sporty cars - like a 4-door.

Roger has been in the advertising agency business since 1975 and has spent the last 11 years with Pratt & Buehl advertising in Atlanta. He is responsible for new business development for the agency, copywriting and account services.  He has also been a freelance automotive writer since 1980 and has been published in virtually all the major automotive enthusiast magazines both consumer and trade. Roger is an automotive historian and focuses on post WWII performance cars and the automotive industry as a whole. He publishes a website called Muscle Car Avenue which can be found at www.musclecaravenue.com. CNN recruited him for a six part broadcast on muscle car collecting in the Nineties and he was hired by Barrett-Jackson auctions to provide color commentary for the muscle segment of their first Palm Beach Auction in 2003.

TUFCAT

Hey AK, did you notice all of these Barracuda concept renderings are pillarless 4-door hardtops not sedans??  Even poor Ethels car, God rest her soul.  :angel:

ECS

Quote from: TUFCAT on March 10, 2014, 08:11:30 PM
Hey AK, did you notice all of these Barracuda concept renderings are pillarless 4-door hardtops not sedans??
At this point I would suggest you put the bottle down in order to fully comprehend what has been said about the project.  :lol:  It is not being patterned from an animated artists drawing.  It is patterned from Mr. Johnson's comments about it being built from a B Body platform.  :coolgleamA:

ECS

Quote from: Homerr on March 10, 2014, 07:08:17 PM

I love it........The haters can hate.

.....and I Love that they Hate it!  :smilielol:

TUFCAT

Quote from: ECS on March 10, 2014, 08:20:53 PM

At this point I would suggest you put the bottle down in order to fully comprehend what has been said about the project.  :lol:  It is not being patterned from an animated artists drawing.  It is patterned from Mr. Johnson's comments about it being built from a B Body platform.  :coolgleamA:

I don't drink!  :fu: :flame:   Not a drop. :2thumbs:  ....and please don't interrupt me to answer your accusations while I'm watching Dallas on TNT.

AKcharger

Well I'm pleased to see the main belligerents in this appreciate and respect Ethel Merman... :2thumbs: Thank you for showing class Gentlemen

You other people just jumping in here like the cheap trolls you are slandering a well known, accomplished and loved actress you've earned my contempt! yeah, you know who you are!!!

Now back to the discussion:

Nope didn't  notice about the Pillars missing...sounds like that might indicated a structural weakness for a longer wheelbase car would Chrysler have done that? and is that what the witness claims he saw??

:popcrn:

odcics2

Here's a photo of the 20 buildings and over a dozen loading docks of the headquarters, for reference.
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

ECS

Speaking of "pillars", here are a few photos showing the custom C Pillars that Steve Been fabricated with the English Wheel.  Both panels started out as a flat, square piece of metal stock.  It was necessary to fabricate these in order for the B Body roof line to smoothly transition and connect with the E Body Quarter Panels.

ECS

Sound deadening (Mastic Material) applied on the back side of the Quarters.

ECS

AKcharger

.."Break Break"...

Regardless of the comments, accusations and arguments...No denying there's some  outstanding craftsmanship going into that project!

OK, now back to the fights...

ECS

Quote from: AKcharger on March 10, 2014, 09:00:34 PM
No denying there's some  outstanding craftsmanship going into that project! .......OK, now back to the fights...

No more need to fight!  We are building it and there is no turning back now!  I know that the Concept 4 Door Barracuda has looked very rough in the pictures I have posted to this point.  The first picture below shows the starting point of the Challenger that we restored in 2007.  The photos that follow show how the car turned out.  I guarantee that Steve and I will have this Concept 4 Door looking like a new car that was built on a Chrysler Assembly Line.  Stay tuned!  :2thumbs:

BEFORE

AFTER

cudaken

If you ordered the Barracuda wagon with the Hemi, would the shaker be wood grain? :scratchchin:

For a wagon, did not look bad at all!

On with the food fight!  :nana:

Cuda Ken
I am back

TUFCAT

Actually, the wagon looks much better than the 4-door....in my opinion.  

69CoronetRT

Quote from: TUFCAT on March 10, 2014, 10:03:31 PM
Actually, the wagon looks much better than the 4-door. 

That's next year's thread........ :popcrn:
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

ECS

Quote from: cudaken on March 10, 2014, 10:01:02 PM

If you ordered the Barracuda ......On with the food fight! 

Ooops!  I forgot it was a 4 Door Cuda that is the subject at hand.  I don't want the Challenger pictures to confuse things even more.  Here is the CUDA that Steve and I did in 2004.   :lol:

JB400

You mean we're showing build pix again?   :faint: :faint: :faint:

TUFCAT

Quote from: JB400 on March 10, 2014, 11:03:38 PM
You mean we're showing build pix again?   :faint: :faint: :faint:

It's better than waiting for the concept "Barracuda School Bus" rendering to show up...  :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

JB400