News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

4 Door Plymouth Barracuda

Started by Lizey, January 19, 2013, 12:55:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ECS

Quote from: AKcharger on March 10, 2014, 03:02:37 PM
Well Hold on there wingcar...Dodge did build two prototype challenger station wagons...look, see.

Could you please show the actual Automotive Design Studio photos of those cars or am I the only one required to show air tight proof about what I am expressing?   :brickwall:  :lol:
TIME WILL INEVITABLY UNCOVER DISHONESTY AND LIES!

TUFCAT

Quote from: ECS on March 10, 2014, 03:30:08 PM

Could you please show the actual Automotive Design Studio photos of those cars or am I the only one required to show air tight proof about what I am expressing?   :brickwall:  :lol:

um, excuse me...Chrysler NEVER built that car so there won't be any. Everyone pretty much knows that, Wingcar was making a "joke".  Take a good look at the Oldsmobile Vista Cruiser roof grafted on. I think the guy said he used a Pinto hatchback glass also...

JB400

The only purpose for concept cars is to draw attention to that manufacturer.  Some cars will have design features and technology that maybe seen on future cars 7 or 8 years down the road.  Even then, most of these are clay mockups with plastic sheeting for paint, on a wood frame.  That Camaro wagon is a perfect example of this concept.  Outside of the Diamonte, the other cars were probably made out of house by individual coachbuilders, not the manufacturers.

The Diamonte was a design study to compete with the AMX and the Corvette, but never gained significant interest.

bill440rt

I say this out of pure observation, but even "if" Chrysler built something like this as a "concept", it's not consistent with any other period concept cars that I'm aware of.
Meaning, their concept cars were styling extremes. From wild paint, to styling, to features. Even many of the clay bucks had weird features that never made it into production. The Diamante is a perfect example of this styling extreme. And it was based on a factory car.
This 4-dr 'Cuda, if it did exist, is a totally factory stock appearing car. If Chrysler wanted to use this car to make a statement, that's not how it would have looked.  :Twocents:  
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

wingcar

Quote from: AKcharger on March 10, 2014, 03:02:37 PM
Well Hold on there wingcar...Dodge did build two prototype challenger station wagons...look, see. Although the factory paperwork is missing  :shruggy:

Customs....NOT Chrysler built....
(I find it interesting how the "paperwork" is always missing.....)

These two Challenger "wagons" have been on many sites throughout the years and not once where they ever passed off as Chryler built.

I think what started the whole thing was a Motor Trend story that had a drawing of what a Challenger wagon would look like.....I know Pontiac actually built a wagon out of a Firebird Trans Am, which may have been featured in the same story.....
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

ECS

Quote from: TUFCAT on March 10, 2014, 03:36:45 PM
um, excuse me...Chrysler NEVER built that car......

Quick question tufty?!  Are you using the word "NEVER" in the same context that you used the words "NOBODY ELSE WAS DOING IT" in your previous quote shown below?  :smilielol:

"....to make a 4-door version of Chryslers first year Pony car when NOBODY ELSE WAS DOING IT!!  (Ford and GM)"

resq302

So what of the Dodge Tomahawk then?  I figured I would create a stir with that since that was made back around 2004 or there abouts?  What motivation did Chrysler have to build 3 or 4 of them?  Were they going to branch off into the motorcycle business and compete with Honda or Harley Davidson?  Say the Tomahawk was produced or conceptualized back in say 1967.  Do you think anyone would have taken pictures of that then?  If no one took pictures of the Tomahawk when it was on the Autoshow circuit, we would be in the same dilemma that we are now with "lack of proof" of pictures that it actually existed.

The E body was a new line of cars.  Why wouldn't Chrysler have designed a bunch of cars to "potentially" be made.  Lets just say that they did and once it looked good on paper, they saw it in real life and decided to scrap the idea.  Maybe Chrysler was trying to prove that they could do it to the new E body and make it a 4 door just as GM and Ford tried.  Lets face it, I'm sure that there were some inside spies going along back in the day as I've seen some similar designs with Chrysler badging as other manufacturing brands.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

ECS

Quote from: wingcar on March 10, 2014, 04:19:24 PM
Customs....NOT Chrysler built....
(I find it interesting how the "paperwork" is always missing.....)

Why would any Concept car have "paperwork"?  Do you really think that Chrysler (or any automobile manufacturer) would use Assembly Line protocol or Factory "paperwork" with a car that was hand built or done by one of their affiliates?  Read the description in the upper top right corner of the article below that explains how Chrysler Concepts were built.  I guess if no "paperwork" for the Concept Barracuda SX exists, it too must be a vehicle of delusional fantasy......right?

JB400

Tomahawk was built just to showcase the v10 engine.  Nothing more, nothing less.

ECS

Quote from: resq302 on March 10, 2014, 04:26:08 PM
So what of the......

This is pointless Brian!  They argue one point and when their "concept" logic is proven wrong they deflect to the next point and then to the next and the next and the next.  I may not have shown a picture of the 4 Door Barracuda Concept but the rest of their Concept rhetoric has been completely trumped and they don't have the decency to even admit it.  

TUFCAT

Quote from: JB400 on March 10, 2014, 04:35:23 PM
Tomahawk was built just to showcase the v10 engine.  Nothing more, nothing less.

That's right JB, it also showcased the feasibility of using "super strong" lightweight cast (and billet) aluminum alloys along with other lightweight materials from what I've read.  There's no better place to show off an engine than on a motorcycle. It was a rolling display!

Wikipedia says:  "Hand-built examples of the Tomahawk were offered for sale through the Neiman Marcus catalog at a price of US$ 555,000, and up to nine of them "might have sold". Dodge emphasized that the bikes were "rolling sculptures" not intended to be ridden".

Who knows for sure.  :shruggy:

Update:  many of the technologies and manufacturing processes learned were later used on the concept Prowler, and the production Prowler.

TUFCAT

Quote from: ECS on March 10, 2014, 04:39:22 PM
Quote from: resq302 on March 10, 2014, 04:26:08 PM
So what of the......

This is pointless Brian!  They argue one point and when their "concept" logic is proven wrong they deflect to the next point and then to the next and the next and the next.  I may not have shown a picture of the 4 Door Barracuda Concept but the rest of their Concept rhetoric has been completely trumped and they don't have the decency to even admit it.  

:popcrn:.....

Quote from: ECS on March 10, 2014, 04:32:50 PM

Why would any Concept car have "paperwork"?  Do you really think that Chrysler (or any automobile manufacturer) would use Assembly Line protocol or Factory "paperwork" with a car that was hand built or done by one of their affiliates?  Read the description in the upper top right corner of the article below that explains how Chrysler Concepts were built.  I guess if no "paperwork" for the Concept Barracuda SX exists, it too must be a vehicle of delusional fantasy......right?

:popcrn:

JB400

Quote from: TUFCAT on March 10, 2014, 04:44:48 PM
Tomahawk was built just to showcase the v10 engine.  Nothing more, nothing less.

That's right JB, it also showcased the feasibility of using lightweight cast (and billet) aluminum alloys along with other lightweight materials from what I've read.  There's no better place to show off an engine than on a motorcycle. It was a rolling display!

Wikipedia says:  "Hand-built examples of the Tomahawk were offered for sale through the Neiman Marcus catalog at a price of US$ 555,000, and up to nine of them "might have sold". Dodge emphasized that the bikes were "rolling sculptures" not intended to be ridden".

Who knows for sure.  :shruggy:
Never mind, I was mistaken

DAY CLONA

QuoteHow many of you watching this thread knew about the 1967 Barracuda SX (or these other Concepts Cars) before I posted pictures of them?      

I knew about the 67 SX Barracuda and many of Chrysler concept cars/ideas back in the day, when I usually gleaned my info from these things called "books",...computers were something only the Rand corporation had access to, and the Internet was just a twinkle in Al Gores mind :icon_smile_big:

Seriously though Dave, your wasting your effort with some here, you could have black and white, even colour photos, and eye witness accounts from Chrysler individuals even involved with a particular concept car, and they would still be a "doubting Thomas" ....most, I guess want a notorized letter from Walter P Chrysler himself...or for some a GG report and an anointment to be a believer

It seems in this "click-click.com" world of instant info and gratification, we've lost touch, both old and new enthusiast with the fact that back in the day many things were done on the "cuff", documentation was sometimes very little, or nonexistent, then add to the fact, that Chrysler having gone thru major management changes, and corporate restructuring many times since the 70's, that records, property, documentation, tooling, vehicles, etc, etc was purposely destroyed, long gone, nothing left in some cases but memories... :Twocents:

Mike  

odcics2

Personally, I'd want more proof than hearsay.

Keep in mind that drugs were rampant in the late 60s!

Could have been a mirage.... :shruggy:

I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

AKcharger

Quote from: DAY CLONA on March 10, 2014, 05:12:57 PM

Seriously though Dave, your wasting your effort with some here...

Don't listen to him ECS and TUFCAT!  both of you are so close to making that final convincing argument plus we're closin' in on 10 pages!!!

Man you guys are nothin' if not Tenacious!

"...And as round 7 rolls around we find the contenders as focused as ever in landing that one final punch which remains elusive."

TUFCAT

Quote from: AKcharger on March 10, 2014, 05:33:20 PM

Don't listen to him ECS and TUFCAT!  both of you are so close to making that final convincing argument plus we're closin' in on 10 pages!!!

"...And as round 7 rolls around we find the contenders as focused as ever in landing that one final punch which remains elusive."

I'm out by TKO. :icon_smile_wink:   

dyslexic teddybear

Quote from: TUFCAT on March 10, 2014, 05:37:39 PM
Quote from: AKcharger on March 10, 2014, 05:33:20 PM

I'm out by TKO. :icon_smile_wink:   

The "cat" is not out......he's driving the dam thing. :smilielol:

wingcar

With all the pictures of various concepts Chrysler had for the Challenger that have come to light and none of the 4dr pictures survived...that speaks volumes.   My doubting meter is really starting to peg at this point. 
Personally, I hope you do come across some pictures or proof to prove all us doubting Toms wrong.  At that point I will bow down to your investigative skills.  But, until then....a drawing does not a real car make.

I think we should lay this trend to rest until someone can produce solid proof so that we don't hurt someone's feelings......    :pity:

As for me I need to go onto the Obama Care site and sign up......and while there I'll look for the elusive 4dr
E-body.   :icon_smile_wink: 
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: AKcharger on March 10, 2014, 12:47:01 PM
Wow Great thread! I mean it's like a boxing match!

Page 1 "And the match starts out a little slow as both contestants enter the ring...but BAM! out of now where TUFCAT lands some quick body blows to ECS. ECS staggers a bit then comes back swinging, landing a few good punches on the cat"

Page 2 "TUFCAT continues the relentless pummeling, ECS offers a good defense but through the relentless pounding TUFCAT has ECS on the ropes, this might be a short fight"

Page 3 "...and what do we have here! ECS is able to tag RESQ302 who quickly enters the ring and lands some sucker punches to TUFCAT while he's distracted on ECS, oh, this could be a different fight here ladies and gentlemen"

Page 4 "Well looks like the worm has turn in this match, TUFCAT is sent staggering as RESQ302 continues the assault while a reinvigorated ECS rejoins the fight in earnest. TUFCAT is getting wobbly, he's visibly tiring...Looks like he's about to go down any minute. Whoa, TUFCAT lands a surprise uppercut to RESQ302 with a  You tube video depicting him as "Chester" the sycophantic dog...but it's not enough TUFCAT is going down"

Page 5 " Hold everything ladies and Gentlemen! who is this, we have a new contender...DYSLEXIC TEDDYBEAR! Could this get any more exciting! DYSLEXIC TEDDYBEAR doesn't seem to land many hard blows right off the bat but he is serving to draw the heat off TUFCAT...who defiantly needs the rest. Wait wait...TUFCAT is back! it's a full out brawl ECS, RESQ302, TUFCAT and DYSLEXIC TEDDYBEAR the punches are flying ladies and gentlemen...it's a free for all, Who saw this coming!!!"

Page 6 " As we move into round 6 we find 69CORONETRT out in the audience throwing things in the ring but the question remains what side is he on and will he actively jump in? It's anyone guess, But we do know that TUFCAT has got a second wind but ECS seems steadfast and isn't giving ground it's still anyone's match ladies and gentlemen..."

Don't stop now guys!!!!!  :2thumbs: :popcrn:

Thats some funny sheet right there, I dont care who wins...best post in this WHOLE thread ;)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

dyslexic teddybear

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on March 10, 2014, 06:16:53 PM
Quote from: AKcharger on March 10, 2014, 12:47:01 PM
Wow Great thread! I mean it's like a boxing match!

Page 1 "And the match starts out a little slow as both contestants enter the ring...but BAM! out of now where TUFCAT lands some quick body blows to ECS. ECS staggers a bit then comes back swinging, landing a few good punches on the cat"

Page 2 "TUFCAT continues the relentless pummeling, ECS offers a good defense but through the relentless pounding TUFCAT has ECS on the ropes, this might be a short fight"

Page 3 "...and what do we have here! ECS is able to tag RESQ302 who quickly enters the ring and lands some sucker punches to TUFCAT while he's distracted on ECS, oh, this could be a different fight here ladies and gentlemen"

Page 4 "Well looks like the worm has turn in this match, TUFCAT is sent staggering as RESQ302 continues the assault while a reinvigorated ECS rejoins the fight in earnest. TUFCAT is getting wobbly, he's visibly tiring...Looks like he's about to go down any minute. Whoa, TUFCAT lands a surprise uppercut to RESQ302 with a  You tube video depicting him as "Chester" the sycophantic dog...but it's not enough TUFCAT is going down"

Page 5 " Hold everything ladies and Gentlemen! who is this, we have a new contender...DYSLEXIC TEDDYBEAR! Could this get any more exciting! DYSLEXIC TEDDYBEAR doesn't seem to land many hard blows right off the bat but he is serving to draw the heat off TUFCAT...who defiantly needs the rest. Wait wait...TUFCAT is back! it's a full out brawl ECS, RESQ302, TUFCAT and DYSLEXIC TEDDYBEAR the punches are flying ladies and gentlemen...it's a free for all, Who saw this coming!!!"

Page 6 " As we move into round 6 we find 69CORONETRT out in the audience throwing things in the ring but the question remains what side is he on and will he actively jump in? It's anyone guess, But we do know that TUFCAT has got a second wind but ECS seems steadfast and isn't giving ground it's still anyone's match ladies and gentlemen..."

Don't stop now guys!!!!!  :2thumbs: :popcrn:

Thats some funny sheet right there, I dont care who wins...best post in this WHOLE thread ;)

:iagree:

Very creative. :smilielol:

ECS

Tomahawk was built just to showcase the v10 engine.  Nothing more, nothing less.

Really?  :lol:  What exactly do you think is the word "Concept" refers to?  The reason a "Concept" vehicle was built was to showcase something different or unique!  Nothing more, nothing less.   

ECS

Seriously though Dave, your wasting your effort with some here, you could have black and white, even colour photos, and eye witness accounts from Chrysler individuals even involved with a particular concept car, and they would still be a "doubting Thomas"

Without a doubt Mike.  I am the ONLY person who has presented ANY third party information but some of these guys feel that their typed opinions are just as compelling as the PROOF I have posted about 4 Door Sport Concept Cars.  First they said that 4 Door Sport Concepts were "NEVER" made by any of the Auto Manufacturers!  When they were proven wrong, they back tracked saying that it was just CHRYSLER that would "NEVER" have done such a thing.  They couldn't afford it......right?!  After I posted a picture of the Barracuda SX they had to back track again to find something else to be "right" about.  It's one contradiction after another!  Keep in mind that if Tufcat or any other fraternal DC Member had presented the article (written by Roger Johnson about the 4 Door Barracuda Concept) they would be THANKING and PRAISING him for providing such factual Chrysler data.  :lol:

TUFCAT

Quote from: ECS on March 10, 2014, 04:32:50 PM

Why would any Concept car have "paperwork"?  Do you really think that Chrysler (or any automobile manufacturer) would use Assembly Line protocol or Factory "paperwork" with a car that was hand built or done by one of their affiliates?  

Your car will have a vin.

TUFCAT

Quote from: ECS on March 10, 2014, 06:56:17 PM

Without a doubt Mike.  I am the ONLY person who has presented ANY third party information but some of these guys feel that their typed opinions are just as compelling as the PROOF I have posted about 4 Door Sport Concept Cars.  First they said that 4 Door Sport Concepts were "NEVER" made by any of the Auto Manufacturers!  When they were proven wrong, they back tracked saying that it was just CHRYSLER that would "NEVER" have done such a thing.  They couldn't afford it......right?!  After I posted a picture of the Barracuda SX they had to back track again to find something else to be "right" about.  It's one contradiction after another!  Keep in mind that if Tufcat or any other fraternal DC Member had presented the article (written by Roger Johnson about the 4 Door Barracuda Concept) they would be THANKING and PRAISING him for providing the factual Chrysler data.  :lol:

:popcrn: :popcrn: