News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

4 Door Plymouth Barracuda

Started by Lizey, January 19, 2013, 12:55:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lizey

Found This - Thought It Was Interesting
1977 Dodge Charger SE - Sold 4/18/15
2013 Chevrolet Camaro RS
1993 GMC K1500
1943 Farmall A

Aero426

Like a four door Porsche, this is the answer to the question that nobody asked. 

Cooter

" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Ghoste

Mustache for the Mona Lisa anyone?

TruckDriver

PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

F8-4life

actually looks good reletive to other 4 doors. Being a pillerless hardtop helps/

rt green

third string oil changer

dyslexic teddybear

From the title, I thought I would :puke:

Suprise...the lines work. Some. Not much....but some.

HPP

That is a rendering done by Aaron Beck. However, Plymouth did build one as a styling exercise back in the day. Reception was rather cool and it was destroyed. However, one is being built right now by ECS Automotive using reproduction panels and pieces of a Dodge 4dr sedan. http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=85677.0

Ghoste

Any photos exist of the original Plymouth one?

odcics2

I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Old Moparz

I'll take one, but it also has to have wood grain down the sides & curb feelers.
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

greenpigs

Looks better than the new Charger. :Twocents:
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

cordoba76

I like it, but would rather have a 2 door

ECS

Quote from: Lizey on January 19, 2013, 12:55:45 PM
Found This - Thought It Was Interesting

We're building the "real" version of the only Concept that was actually made in 1969.  :lol:  We are updating pictures of the project on 3 other Forums.  Below is a link to one of those venues.  We can post updated pictures (here) for those who are interested.

http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/showthread.php?67700-4-door-1970-concept-cuda-b-body-platform

TIME WILL INEVITABLY UNCOVER DISHONESTY AND LIES!

hemigeno

Hi Dave,

This is no lie - Just yesterday a local dyed-in-the-wool GM guy calls me up, asking if I knew of you and your 4-door Barracuda project.  He had heard about it from a friend of his and was blown away that such a project was in the works.  Wanting to find out more about it, he asked his Mopar contact... me... 

Do you know R. Bommarito?  That's Tom R.'s (the GM guy) friend's name - and from what Tom said, his friend seemed like he knows you from way back.  Tom has heard a lot about this car and your other handiwork from Mr. Bommarito, who spoke very highly of how everything is turning out on the Barracuda.  Tom and I also talked about it for a while, but I didn't know where to point him so that he could see the project for himself.

Would it be possible to post some or all of the same info about your Barracuda project that used to be available on Cuda-Challenger.com?  This thread would be as good a place as any (hint, hint).

:cheers:

Baldwinvette77

I'd just weld all the doors shut, and fill the seams  :yesnod:

TUFCAT

What you are looking here is a pure "fantasy"... :image_294343:

My Dad witnessed the development of many (now historical) pre-production cars as they moved through Chrysler engineering at Highland Park within his 35 year career with Chrysler that began in 1965....

His job took him to every corner of engineering, and his office was 200 feet from the engineering paint shop which was in close proximity to the metal and trim shops. He had the run of engineering which included access to the "security room" where early prototypes were built.

I talked to him about this cobbled up abortion of a Barracuda Dave at ECS is trying to convince the world to be some sort of estranged engineering prototype.....

READY FOR THE ANSWER??  :think:

IT NEVER EXISTED. PERIOD.  :sorry:

Oh come now, surely one would think that it  "must have happened" because building such car sounds like SUCH A GOOD IDEA...!! :sarcasmalert:  ...oh yes, and SUCH AN EXCELLENT use of valuable TIME AND RESOURCES :ohhthesarcasm: to make a 4-door version of Chryslers first year Pony car when NOBODY ELSE WAS DOING IT!!  (Ford and GM) :badidea:

NOT to mention a BRAND NEW PLATFORM ( called the 1971 B-Body) was currently being developed....SO DO YOU THINK CHRYSLER WOULD SPEND ALL THIS EXTRA MONEY (THEY DIDN'T HAVE AT THE TIME) TO HAND FABRICATE A FOUR DOOR BARRACUDA THAT WAS NEVER PART OF THE PRODUCT PLAN EVER!!!!   - - Just for giggles?  :ricky:

If such a car EVER EXISTED people like my Dad would have known about. Its a FAKE, a FARSE, and a FABRICATION of FANTASY!  :shortbus:  

One more thing for you non-believers to ponder....the process of "styling a vehicle" was not as simple as grafting an existing front and rear onto another body. Chrysler would NEVER have gone through "such an exercise" in those days......ESPECIALLY to its sporty short wheel base design vehicle.... :eek2:

Finally, "IF" such an abortion was ever to be created, then one or more "clay bucks" would have been built first....and that would have been expensive.

Chrysler Engineering wasn't like "Romper Room" with a bunch of guys in the corner of the experimental metal shop playing with welders and torches trying to build their own version a 4-door 'Cuda just for "kicks" while their supervisor was on vacation for a week - think about it.  :scratchchin:

If he wants to build such a car - go ahead!!  But there's no reason to bullshit people into believing that Chrysler actually built a prototype.  :Twocents: :Twocents:

bill440rt

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

A383Wing

-plus it's ugly as hell...

if you want a four door, go by one of the new Coronets...

TUFCAT

oldhemiman

I am the Dad that worked at Chrysler Engineering about 300 ft. from the engineering metal shop and 75 feet from the experimental build up area. I never saw anything resembling a 4 dr. Barracuda!

The 1971 B body platform is (with wheelbase differences) the same as the E body platform, or in another way to put it the 1970 E body platform is the same as the 1971 B body platform.

The metal shop may have been building a prototype 1971 B body 4dr. about the same time there were some 1970 2dr E bodies being built in the metal shop.  Perhaps since the floorpans and engine compartments looked the same, someone may have assumed it was a 4dr. E body. You know what happens when you ASS U ME something?

What benefit would Chrysler engineering have in building a 117 in. wheelbase stretched E body :scratchchin:  ???????????????

oldhemiman

One final thought, which is very unlikely, is the slight chance Engineering put a 'Cuda front end on a '71 B-body 4dr. for use as a "Roadable Buck". A roadable buck was something of a mule used at the proving grounds to get new platforms into various stages of on road testing.  At times, we might also purposely disguise a vehicle to look like something else by adding features from other cars, but frankly, with the '71 4drs. I don't think it really mattered much!  :eek2:

It seems extremely unlikely this would be the case, since significant fabrication effort would have been required to match the different front bumpers, fenders, hood, etc.

TUFCAT

I would buy that explanation  :2thumbs: