News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

The ultimate B-Body, or how I'd build a FrankenCharger

Started by hatersaurusrex, January 16, 2013, 01:18:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hatersaurusrex

I know a lot of guys love their respective years exactly the way they are (me included) and wouldn't change a thing, but what if Dodge built one for show that had the ultimate parts/options from any and every year (yes they could be custom fit for you sticklers):

I'll start with the FrankenCharger I'd have them build:

Body: 69
Grille: 68
Taillights/Panel: 69
Marker Lights: 70 (love the chrome trim rings, and yeah let's trim the fenders out so they fit)
Seats: 68 w/headrest
Console: 67 chrome with buddy seat on top
Dash: 67 Electroluminasty
Door Panels: 70
Color Combo: B7 with White interior
Vinyl: Nope
Wheels: Rallyes with trim rings
Callouts: 440 Magnum hood style callouts on the rear fender

Sunroof: Nope

Drivetrain:  6-Pack/727/60 from 70

I think discs all around are assumed by everyone.

Yeah it'd look a little weird to the purist, but who cares.   If they'd only made one model for all those years, what attributes would you have wanted?
[ŌŌ]ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ[ŌŌ] = 68
[ŌŌ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ŌŌ] = 69
(ŌŌ)[ƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗ](ŌŌ) = 70

JB400

Factory hit it right the first time on the 69 Charger.  It has enough attributes of the other years that outside of discs, I like it the way it is.

johnnyseville

too many to list!

billfury

Quote from: hatersaurusrex on January 16, 2013, 01:18:20 PM
I know a lot of guys love their respective years exactly the way they are (me included) and wouldn't change a thing, but what if Dodge built one for show that had the ultimate parts/options from any and every year (yes they could be custom fit for you sticklers):

I'll start with the FrankenCharger I'd have them build:

Body: 69
Grille: 68
Taillights/Panel: 69
Marker Lights: 70 (love the chrome trim rings, and yeah let's trim the fenders out so they fit)
Seats: 68 w/headrest
Console: 67 chrome with buddy seat on top
Dash: 67 Electroluminasty
Door Panels: 70
Color Combo: B7 with White interior
Vinyl: Nope
Wheels: Rallyes with trim rings
Callouts: 440 Magnum hood style callouts on the rear fender

Sunroof: Nope

Drivetrain:  6-Pack/727/60 from 70

I think discs all around are assumed by everyone.

Yeah it'd look a little weird to the purist, but who cares.   If they'd only made one model for all those years, what attributes would you have wanted?

What about a N96 air grabber from a 71 ? Might look a little funky ? Then again I do like the 69-70 hoods the way they are.

VegasCharger

'68 has the best of everything!

Grille
Round tail lights
Round marker lights
Seat design with headrest
Console with chrome (woodgrain yuk)
Ribbed Rallye Cluster (woodgrain yuk)
Square chrome map pocket buttons (not sure if some '69s had them)
Pointed dash pad
1st of the 2nd gen

just my   :Twocents:

jaak

I won't go into all the details like you did (grille, tail lamps etc.). But I will say this, for me It would have to be a 2nd gen, with a 3rd gen interior. I love the seats, dash, etc of the third gen, more comfortable interior than a 2nd gen.

Jason

Homerr

I like each year 66-71 for different reasons, but overall the 1970 hits the most high points for me. 

Patronus

'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

The70RT

Highbacks, door scoupes, high impact colors, pistol grip shifter, longitudinal stripe, hood callouts, six pack So 70I had it all so i wouldn't add anything from a 68l or 69  :nana:
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Cooter

I'd start with a 1969, then add a HUGE wing on the rear quarters, and a Crazy looking nose cone to the front..Then, I'd add some (Although hated by many today for their total lack of functionality) goofy, fake scoops to the front fenders and call the thing a DAYTONA Charger.

Oh wait, nevermind.....MAybe I'd leave the '69 Alone then. Best to leave all that to the F&F types...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

kab69440

How are you going to get a buddy seat on top of a '67 console? I mean, I have a buddy seat armrest on the 66 console in my 69, but the seat itself? I can't see it?

I'd start with a '69 and install highback leather buckets and a '66 console w pistol grip/ rear buckets/ interior panels/ headliner (I still haven't figured out how to accomplish this and blend it to the 69 sails). Dash would be a giant slab of EL film backlighting enough readouts to give a basic airliner an inferiority complex.

I'd lay a pair of '70 door scoop look-a-likes and graft a 70 Runner bulge into the hood. Of course I'd remove that hideous booger at the center of the leading edge while I was there. There would need to be a giant airdam under the front valance. I'd widen the thing 4" at the rear wheel wells and 3" at the front and slam it to the ground, stock car style. I'd go as close to a 500 fastroof as I could without cutting the trunklid in half (Really, what's the point of a trunk if you can't get the spare tire out?) I'd drop the trunklid 4-5" and do a 300-Hurst tail treatment(haven't figured out how to pull that one off either...).  USCartool sub ties and torque boxes to hold it together when I chop the roof up to install t tops. The doorhandles would get shaved in favor of something less generic looking, say 69-72 Grand Prix units.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

six-tee-nine

I like the overall factory look of the 69 the best, however when i'm honest I might admit that if they kept the 68 grill in it, the car woul'nt look bad at all.

The 70 model has become my 2nd favorite over the years. Probably has something to do with the übercool Pistol grip shifter and the Six barrel thing.
Would love to build a V-code 4-speed clone....

In real life, I dont really like mixtures, of model years, I hate to see a pistol grip in a pre 70 car or 70 seats in a 68. Not that I'm against modifictions, but I like to keep it "model year correct".
But hey everyone is still free to do to his car what he wants....
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

Blusmbl

I think I like the '69 exterior (grill/tail panel/marker lights) and interior the best (sunroof option, SE woodgrain, seat pattern, etc), but don't like the reverse lights or door locks on the '69/'70 cars.  Obviously the pistol grip is the best shifter option.  I can take or leave the '70 grill, and IMHO the R/T only door scoops cover up the coolest body lines on the whole car.
Caintmakit Racing: Craptastic!
-66 BondoVille Roadster
-05 QC Hemi Ram
-looking for another '68-'69 Charger

F8-4life

I think every year of the 2nd gen has great aspects to it. As for design I wouldnt change a thing. Thats why I love chargers so much in the first place...

But I do wish they had the air grabber hood option.

More high impact colors for 68-9

MOre built with hood callouts

Pistol grip option for 68-9

more factory specails (like the preposed 70 golden hurst charger)

6 pack aval for 68-9

Cheaper hemi (so more would be around today)

Better wheel options from factory

more striped down 6 cyliner gramma goers

maybe a roadrunner "vibe" charger with no frills all go for cheap

also more strip options

Oh and while Im dreamin I'll also take a charger "elcamino" style ute

I would also tell chrysler to extend the current 68-70 charger a couple more years maybe draw it out to 72 or so...

rt green

that would be fun at a car show.  win peoples choice.  lol
third string oil changer

Scaregrabber

71 for:
Pistol grip
Slap stick
15X7 rallyes
Cassette player
Cloth seats
All engine options
Great colours
Great graphics
Spoilers
Ramcharger hood
Window Louvers
High back buckets
Racing mirrors
Hideaways available
Body coloured bumpers
More modern styling
No vent windows
Tail light option
Shotgun exhaust tips
G60X15's
Wider track for better handling
Tuff wheel

I'm sure I've missed a few but those are the highlights
Sheldon

marshallfry01

I would have a 1969 charger R/T exactly like it came from the factory. I don't think it could look any better than it does already!  :yesnod:
1969 Charger 383/auto
1969 Charger R/T 440/auto (waiting to be restored)
1972 Chevelle SS clone 383 sbc
1959 Chevy Apache short bed stepside
1968 Charger (glorified parts car)
Yes, I know I have too many cars. My wife reminds me daily.

hatersaurusrex

Quote from: Cooter on January 16, 2013, 07:19:08 PM
I'd start with a 1969, then add a HUGE wing on the rear quarters, and a Crazy looking nose cone to the front..Then, I'd add some (Although hated by many today for their total lack of functionality) goofy, fake scoops to the front fenders and call the thing a DAYTONA Charger.

Oh wait, nevermind.....MAybe I'd leave the '69 Alone then. Best to leave all that to the F&F types...

Cooter I read on Allpar (or somewhere) that the scoops on the fenders actually decreased drag by 3% in wind tunnel testing.   Since I don't have a wind tunnel or a Daytona I cannot personally verify this.   Anyone willing to donate either (or both) please inbox me :)
[ŌŌ]ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ[ŌŌ] = 68
[ŌŌ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ŌŌ] = 69
(ŌŌ)[ƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗ](ŌŌ) = 70

G-man

Sounds like a Pro-Touring car would fit the bill a lot better.

Cooter

Quote from: hatersaurusrex on January 18, 2013, 01:56:45 AM
Quote from: Cooter on January 16, 2013, 07:19:08 PM

Cooter I read on Allpar (or somewhere) that the scoops on the fenders actually decreased drag by 3% in wind tunnel testing.   Since I don't have a wind tunnel or a Daytona I cannot personally verify this.   Anyone willing to donate either (or both) please inbox me :)
I have read where those fart cannons are supposed to give you another 10 HPtoo.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"