News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Wheel stud staking tool

Started by Dmichels, February 10, 2013, 08:55:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dmichels

The front hub and drum studs are staked in place. I have not been able to find a tool to do that for sale. I have pretty good idea what it would look like. Does any one have a picture of one so I can make one? I was going to make a hollow punch with a hardened an tapered edge. This would just fit over the stud. A quick shot in the press and all done.
Thanks.
68 440 4 speed 4.10

Dmichels

after the stud was installed the stud was staked or swaged in place by the factory They sell cutters to cut the the swage or stakeing so you can press the stud out without damaging the hub.
68 440 4 speed 4.10

John_Kunkel

Although the cutters are easy to find, I havent seen a swaging tool for many years.......only older automotive machine shops will have them.

It isn't really necessary to swage the studs, the hub will center the drum and the lugs will hold it in place just like the '65 and later rear drums.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Dmichels

Thanks John
Can you describe the tool? I can make it
Dave
68 440 4 speed 4.10

68 RT

John_Kunkel

The drum studs before swaging (right) and after swaging (left). As I remember, the tool is just a hardened hollow punch that fits the stud diameter tightly.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Dmichels

thats what I thought it would be like Thanks John. I can make that
68 440 4 speed 4.10

Moparparts

I would like to find one of those tools myself. If you decide to make an extra one or so please let me know i would be interested in purchasing one
PM or e-mail me
Thanks Don

Quote from: Dmichels on February 11, 2013, 05:46:18 PM
thats what I thought it would be like Thanks John. I can make that