News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

E-Body wheel question

Started by 70moparman, January 18, 2013, 12:27:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

70moparman

I will be swapping the magnum 500s off my Challenger and upgrading to a set of mags that are 15x8 in rear and 15x7 up front.  I know I want reverse offset in the back, what should my backspacing be?  4"?  3.5"? 

I would like to run a 295/60/15 tire or something around that, whats the biggest I can without moving my springs?  Up front I will run a 235/60/15 or similar ...  Any thoughts? Pictures of similar tire combo on e-Bodys?  Feel free to chime in...

Cooter

Not too sure your gonna find a 295/60/15, but On my own Challenger, I have 245/60/15 15X8" rear, and 235/60/15 on 15X7" on front.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Troy

I doubt you'll be getting a 295 under an E-body (unless it's less than 20" tall) without spring relocation. The wheel wells are a bit smaller then the B-bodies. The 275s on my Challenger rub under launch and when hitting bumps even with the correct backspacing. The 255s on my Barracuda fit without rubbing but were very close - although the backspacing was a bit off on those. You want to be at 0 offset (4.5" BS on an 8" wheel) which *should* center the wheel/tire in the wheel well.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

triple_green

when I had the challenger vert. I tried to swap the 275 60 15s on 15x8 with 4.5 BS from my Charger onto the back of the challenger. They were too tall and a little too wide(outside). The Challenger was at stock ride hieght for the hemi suspension. Lots of guys on CudaChallenger.com claimed to get that combo under there rear wheel wells, but they had to jack the rear up to make them fit.

My advise is measure very carefully before you commit to anything.

Mark
68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

70moparman

295 is what i have on my B-Body, thought that might be a little big but had to ask...  Forgot to say but the car will be raised up in the back, to help with tire clearance... 

Cooter, any pics of your car with the 245s on it you can post?  

Troy, Any pics of the 255s on your Barracuda?  

Anyone have 265s out back on thier E body?  Would like to hear about it / see pics / comments

Mark- Thanks for the info, wonder if the 275s would fit with shackles and air shocks? (anyone??)

Just looking for the right stance and since I am buying everything new, I only have myself to blame if it dont look right...  Your thoughts and opinions appreciated, thanks in advance...  

Troy

255 rear, 235 front, both with 3 3/4" BS (so they're sitting about 34" closer to the outside).

Troy

HPP

Quote from: 70moparman on January 18, 2013, 12:27:04 AM
 I know I want reverse offset in the back, what should my backspacing be?  4"?  3.5"?  

I would like to run a 295/60/15 tire or something around that, whats the biggest I can without moving my springs?  Up front I will run a 235/60/15 or similar ...  Any thoughts? Pictures of similar tire combo on e-Bodys?  Feel free to chime in...

That is an incompatible combination with stock location wheel openings, springs, and housing in an E body.

A reverse rim will have 3.5" backspace which is compatible with the springs and rear housing, but not the fender lips. These tires will stick out too far and will interfere. You can band aid it with air shocks or shackles. I wouldn't encourage it as it negatively impacts handling and performance, but if all you do is drive to shows and cruises, then it woul dbe okay and I'm sure it will illicite a lot of fond memories of the late 70s from numerous people. You could maybe get away with it by using a narrowed rear to pull the wheels into the wells, but that cold get pricey.

If you try sticking that large of a tire in the wheel wells, you then need to deal with the E body splayed spring mounting, meaning they are mounted wider in the rear than the front, so you have reduced clearance at the rear spring segment compared to the front. Also, keep in mind that factory assembly tolarances were allowed up to a 1/4" variation from print, so its entirely possible to have a 1/2" difference between the right and left wheel wheel lip locations. As such, a 255/60 is a safe size and you may be able to use a 275/60, but you will need to do careful measurements to ensure it fits. Also, Cudas tend to have slightly smaller wells than Challengers.

Unlike Troy, I was able to put a 28x8x15 slick (comparable to a 275/60)  in my Challenger without any contact, but see above for why I might have been able to do this. I used a 15x8 rim with 4.5" backspace. I have since changed to a 26x12x15 ( this would be around a 305/45) tire with a 1 spring relocation and a B body rear (narrower than an E body rear). I'm using a 15x10 wheel with 5" of backspace and it all fits in the wheelwell just fine, which is good considering I also lowered the rear 2" from stock.

4cruzin

Troy . . .your car is SWEET!   :cheers:
Tomorrow is promised to NOBODY . . . .

Troy

Quote from: 4cruzin on January 18, 2013, 12:27:19 PM
Troy . . .your car is SWEET!   :cheers:
It was (past tense). I sold it and now I have this one (275 out back on 4.5" BS, same size front on 4.5" BS):

Troy

70moparman

Troy- Nice Challenger  :2thumbs: Its got a nice stance...

HPP - Thanks for all the info  :cheers:  Much Appreciated! 

Cooter

Here's the Challenger With 245/60/15's on the back...

" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

70moparman

Thanks for the pics cooter... 245s fill it out pretty good...

Hard Charger

ok guys i got 275-60-15 on the challenger. i could fit a 295 but not a 50 series comfortably between the spring and the quarter.

the rims are a standard off set weld draglites 8" rim. i do have a spacer to bump the rim out. i am very close to the stock postion spring.

this is the way i bought the car.

Moparparts

I ran 295/50 x 15 BF T/A's on the back of my 70 Cuda with 15 x 8 Repo Mopar rally wheels a Dana and Hemi springs for years but did have gas charged load leveler shocks. Had to be careful when i had people along in the back seat on hard cornering otherwise no problems