News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

FirmFeel 2 or 3 box.. Help, need to order soon

Started by My9302002, January 17, 2013, 08:11:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

My9302002

This is a follow up post to the previous.
Looks like I'm gonna go with a FF box
but can't decide between the 2 or the 3.
Car will be driven all summer, mostly highway.
I've searched the archives already... But
need more help. Anyone regret getting a 2
instead of a 3 or vice versa?
Thanks
Andrew
69 RT/SE B5 Blue

68 RT

Go for the stage 3, I got a stage 2 and like it. But if I did it all over again I would do the stage 3.  :cheers:

alfe

stear and gear 2,happy wit it,would not go with 3

BrianShaughnessy

Going to a smaller wheel like a Tuff or are you keeping the Titanic wheel?   

Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

My9302002

Andrew
69 RT/SE B5 Blue

Dino

Quote from: alfe on January 18, 2013, 03:47:54 PM
stear and gear 2,happy wit it,would not go with 3

Is that with the Titanic wheel?  I'm debating stage 2 or 3 myself and am leaning towards 2 even with the 14" woodgrain wheel.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

1970Moparmann

Quote from: 68 RT on January 18, 2013, 02:56:18 PM
Go for the stage 3, I got a stage 2 and like it. But if I did it all over again I would do the stage 3.  :cheers:

I'm in the same boat! 
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

My9302002

Gonna do the level 2 box....
Enough with the research, gotta make a move!
Andrew
69 RT/SE B5 Blue

bill440rt

In the two cars I have SnG Stage 2 boxes, one has the Titanic woodgrain wheel, the other a smaller Grant wheel. Both have a good road feel to me.
Others still prefer a Stage 3. It's all about personal taste.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Dino

Quote from: bill440rt on January 22, 2013, 07:44:32 AM
In the two cars I have SnG Stage 2 boxes, one has the Titanic woodgrain wheel, the other a smaller Grant wheel. Both have a good road feel to me.

Bill what's your daily and how does it compare?

bill440rt

Quote from: Dino on January 22, 2013, 07:45:56 AM

'11 Ram 1500 4x4.  :smilielol:   Kinda hard to compare. I guess just for steering feel they are similar.
I've never driven a car with Stage 3, but when deciding on a box I just thought that if I went with something that firm, I might have well just put manual steering in it. When asking the companies about firmness, I just thought the Stage 2 was a nice balance between the two. It's definitely firmer than the "arms shot up with Novocaine" feeling you get with a stock box.
If you are road racing or a competition build well then I guess you might want the Stage 3. But for a primarily street driven car I thought it was more than fine. A nice improvement. Very pleased.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Dino

Quote from: bill440rt on January 22, 2013, 07:57:36 AM
Quote from: Dino on January 22, 2013, 07:45:56 AM

'11 Ram 1500 4x4.  :smilielol:   Kinda hard to compare. I guess just for steering feel they are similar.
I've never driven a car with Stage 3, but when deciding on a box I just thought that if I went with something that firm, I might have well just put manual steering in it. When asking the companies about firmness, I just thought the Stage 2 was a nice balance between the two. It's definitely firmer than the "arms shot up with Novocaine" feeling you get with a stock box.
If you are road racing or a competition build well then I guess you might want the Stage 3. But for a primarily street driven car I thought it was more than fine. A nice improvement. Very pleased.

Big Ram huh   :lol:  Yeah that's not the best comparison. 

I think that's all I needed to hear, stage 2 it is!  Thanks Bill.   :2thumbs:

bill440rt

stripe74au

In both my challenger and charger I got stage 2 FF. Now I wish I had gotten stage 3.
1965 Impala SS convertible
1967 Mustang fastback (work in progress)
1968 Charger R/T - WW1
1969 Roadrunner - R4
1970 Challenger R/T - FC7
1970 AAR 'Cuda - TX9

Finn

I have a FF stage 2. It's good, but if I did it again I'd try a 3. The 2 makes a big car like the charger feel like a new small to mid-sized car turning wise. I think the 3 would feel like a sports car which would be more fun.
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

Dino

Quote from: Finn on January 30, 2013, 02:40:09 AM
I have a FF stage 2. It's good, but if I did it again I'd try a 3. The 2 makes a big car like the charger feel like a new small to mid-sized car turning wise. I think the 3 would feel like a sports car which would be more fun.

I would love for my Charger to turn like my Honda.  I was wondering why some wanted to go to a 3 instead and I can understand the want for a firmer sports feel.  For a cruiser though I think 2 will be spot on.  Now all I have to do is convince myself to fork over the dough...

Brads70

FYI ...Stage 3 and the fast ratio arms in my Challenger. Works great! :2thumbs:  :Twocents:

johnnyseville

I would seriously be interested in this setup for my Daytona, just have to decide 2 or 3.  Probably leaning toward 3 from reading what some guys say about having the 2 already, would be nice if someone I knew had one to try out.
too many to list!

72Charger-SE

So, it seems the Stage 2 and Stage 3 are the same price, $359??   Why would someone purchase the 2 if the 3 is better and the same price?

Question for the OP... did you get the 2 or 3?  Are you happy with your decision?

twodko

I have a 2 and am happy with it. Admittedly I don't know what the 3 offers over a 2 but if they're the same price compare specs and let that decide for you.  :Twocents:
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

myk

Quote from: 72Charger-SE on March 21, 2014, 09:03:25 PM
So, it seems the Stage 2 and Stage 3 are the same price, $359??   Why would someone purchase the 2 if the 3 is better and the same price?

Question for the OP... did you get the 2 or 3?  Are you happy with your decision?

The 3 isn't "better," it's about personal preference and choice.  Some people like the more firm than stock stage 2, but others prefer the even more firm feel of a stage 3. 

My question is this:  why does an increasing firm steering wheel feel more "sporty" and "sportcar-like"?  Wouldn't an increasing firmer wheel be more difficult to manipulate and consequently be more difficult to turn rapidly? 

bull

I don't think the s3 is a harder turn necessarily, just less play in the system, ie., more responsive.

The FF s2 is great. The one in my Charger feels perfect for everything I do but the entire front suspension has been restored with boxed lower control arms, an FF reinforced k-frame and all new parts. That said I'm sure I would love the s3 too. If/when I ever build myself another Mopar I will try an s3 just to compare.

myk

Hmm...I'll probably have to go with the FF3 if I don't go with the Borgeson unit...

70-500-SE-EXPORT

I have the ff stage 2 and am happy with it. Huge improvement over stock.
68 Charger original SS1 paint with matching # 383hp

myk