News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Removing fish eyes?

Started by whitehatspecial, February 13, 2006, 12:09:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitehatspecial

My '68 Charger was repainted about 20 years ago. The car has been in storage basically ever since and the paint is still in very good to excellent condition except there are numerous little craters (about 1/16 to 1/8") in the clear coat. These craters are covering most of the car's paint.
There must have been a problem when the clear coat was applied, WD40 in the air or something. What can be done now to remove the imperfections? I've been told they're called fish eyes.
Cars owned:
1968 Dodge Charger, 48k orig. miles, family owned since new.
Not a Hemi, a mini-hemi 340.

dads_69

Only way to remove fish eyes is by sanding them all the way down, you can not burrie them nor in base/clear  or single stage paints. You may go through the clear and have to reapply paint as well. Its a gentle process depending on how much clear you have on your car. You can use a DA to sand the areas down using 600/800 grit by going off what you say are 1/8 deep. Or wet sand with 600 maybe even 400 then reclear plus maybe repaint some areas as well. Not being able to see how bad the fish eyes are in person isn't 100% either on how much you should sand before stopping and possibly just sanding the car down with 320 DA paper and reshooting the hole car again. I hope this helps somewhat and isn't to confussing. Any photos?
Mark
Hey, you can hate the game but don't hate the player.

whitehatspecial

I'll try to post some pictures later on and that will help. The craters are not that deep (they appear to be in the clear coat only). The 1/8" I referred to is the diamete not the depth.
Cars owned:

whitehatspecial

Here is a picture. Hopefully it will help to see the problem.
Cars owned:

mally69

if you were repanting the whole car probably the best thing that i know of is called wet sanding that takes out most of the imperfections in the paint

Drop Top

What your seeing is not fish eye. Its just orange peel. No-one can shoot paint without it happening to a certan degree. The better the painter the less orange peel there will be. But it will always be there. The only way to get rid of it is by color-sanding and then buffing the paint. Fish -eye is small craters that show up randomly and in no certan order.

mally69

Quote from: Drop Top on February 24, 2006, 10:15:10 AM
What your seeing is not fish eye. Its just orange peel. No-one can shoot paint without it happening to a certan degree. The better the painter the less orange peel there will be. But it will always be there. The only way to get rid of it is by color-sanding and then buffing the paint. Fish -eye is small craters that show up randomly and in no certan order.

exactly what drop top said , orange peel  ive heard it called egg shell also its normal my car has it also

nh_mopar_fan

You know, When I looked at that pic I thought, "that's orange peel". But, rather than open my mouth and be thought an idiot (shuddap!), I didn't say anything....

whitehatspecial

Actually there's both orange peel and fisheye's. The fisheyes didn't show well in the photo, but they're all over the paint. They are spaced out at random about 6-12" apart all over the body.

I can deal with the orange peel but the fisheyes have to go. I'll try to take a better picture and post it.
Cars owned: