News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Steer and gear or FirmFeel

Started by My9302002, January 17, 2013, 10:57:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

My9302002

Any one of these better than the other. Looking for a new box.
Thanks
Andrew
69 RT/SE B5 Blue

twodko

I installed a FirmFeel II.....no regrets what so ever. :Twocents:
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

garner7555

I got a Stage 3 from Steer and Gear, but unfortunately it is still laying on the table in my shop.  They are very friendly and helpful as far as customer service goes.   :Twocents:
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

BrianShaughnessy

I got a stage 2 firm feel in black betty.   Ends up costing dang near $500 with shipping, etc.   It's fine.   No complaints... except the price.

I had a $50 off advance auto coupon that I had to use so I ended up with a reman for $65 waiting for Sinnamon.     

All I want is a box that doesn't leak...

Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

WHITE AND RED 69

Firm feel stage 3 in mine. It was tough to get used to but now I'm very happy with it.
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

My9302002

Lot of FirmFeel fans here..
Now is there a big difference between the level 2 or 3? Anyone get a 2 and wish they bought a 3 instead?
Andrew
69 RT/SE B5 Blue

dangina

bill440rt

I Stage 2 boxes from Steer-n-Gear in two of my cars. I got them both directly from them at their swap space in Carlisle. Saved a TON in shipping costs, also gave them used boxes in trade so there were no core charges. Saved a bunch doing it that way as well. Shipping from Firm Feel & then return shipping on a core back to them nixed the deal with them. But, I've heard good things about FF as well.
I am VERY happy with the SnG Stage 2 boxes, no issues other than a small leak on one of them which was my fault as I did not have a fitting tight enough.
I don't think I would want them any firmer than Stage 2, but that's just me. I like the way they feel.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

My9302002

How much was the shipping?
I live in Michigan and Steer and Gear
is like $40 bucks one way.. and they
ship it back to you free. What was the
cost with FF?
Andrew
69 RT/SE B5 Blue

bill440rt

I dunno. Call them or visit FF's website.
I'm in NJ & FF is in WA, so shipping was a killer.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

garner7555

Shipping is the main reason I chose Steer and Gear. I got a stage 3 box for like $300 after shipping.   :Twocents:
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

Dino

Quote from: My9302002 on January 17, 2013, 10:22:05 PM
How much was the shipping?
I live in Michigan and Steer and Gear
is like $40 bucks one way.. and they
ship it back to you free. What was the
cost with FF?

You can always make it a roadtrip, Steer and Gear's in Columbus, OH.  But I doubt you'll save money.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

68 RT

Quote from: My9302002 on January 17, 2013, 04:19:20 PM
Now is there a big difference between the level 2 or 3? Anyone get a 2 and wish they bought a 3 instead?

I got a firmfeel stage 2, like it alot but wish I went with a stage 3.  :2thumbs:

Dino

Quote from: 68 RT on January 18, 2013, 02:55:13 PM
Quote from: My9302002 on January 17, 2013, 04:19:20 PM

I got a firmfeel stage 2, like it alot but wish I went with a stage 3.  :2thumbs:

Several members have said the same thing and others have said exactly the opposite.  Maybe they should build a 2.5...

My9302002

Andrew
69 RT/SE B5 Blue

John_Kunkel

The future of improved steering might be the Borgeson Delphi conversion. There's a writeup in the current issue of Mopar Action magazine.

http://www.borgeson.com/xcart/home.php?cat=143
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

bill440rt

Quote from: John_Kunkel on January 18, 2013, 04:36:26 PM
The future of improved steering might be the Borgeson Delphi conversion. There's a writeup in the current issue of Mopar Action magazine.

http://www.borgeson.com/xcart/home.php?cat=143

Yep, good article!

mauve66

Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

Rubberduck

I have FirmFeel Stage 3 in my Charger. I´m very happy with it.
And I got it shipped to Germany. $$$$

Mario
´68 Charger, 505 by CWE, 4-speed

seany

just curious if this is the cure to ''soft steering'' i find i can barely keep a straight line on the freeway.i have a 74/318 car.i did a complete rebuild of the front end(drove like i was sailing a boat before)i thought i was going above and beyond replacing iners,outers,uppers,lowers and steering box with alignment to top it off.steering box was a refurb from nap pa,don't know anymore than that.but with all said and done i have no faith in driving this car.seems to be all over the road takes lots on concentration to drive.i hate it that i can drive with just a pinky finger,very sensitive steering.also do hands free turning with a quick snap of the wheel.was gonna experiment with different pulley sizes.any and all input would be greatly appreciated.

Rubberduck

Correct alignment is very important. It seems not many shops are doing it right.
Put as much positive caster as possible in. This is what a car keeps straight on the road.
Mostly you can't get enough positive caster on a stock Mopar frontend.
There are offset upper ball joints available and also adjustable ones. This should solve the problem.

Mario
´68 Charger, 505 by CWE, 4-speed

garner7555

The steering boxes we are referring to from Firm Feel and Steer and Gear will fix the "sensitive pinky finger steering feel". They both offer 3 boxes. Level 1 is factory, level 2 is more stiff feeling, and level 3 is the most stiff feeling. I used Steer and Gear to save money on shipping (they are closer to me) but both companies are great from what I hear. Give them both a call and they can probably help you decide on one of the stiffer boxes.

As far as the hands free steering, I agree with Rubberduck, caster should correct that problem.

With those 2 changes I bet you will feel like your in a totally different car.
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

Dino

Quote from: seany on January 23, 2013, 04:05:13 AM
just curious if this is the cure to ''soft steering'' i find i can barely keep a straight line on the freeway.i have a 74/318 car.i did a complete rebuild of the front end(drove like i was sailing a boat before)i thought i was going above and beyond replacing iners,outers,uppers,lowers and steering box with alignment to top it off.steering box was a refurb from nap pa,don't know anymore than that.but with all said and done i have no faith in driving this car.seems to be all over the road takes lots on concentration to drive.i hate it that i can drive with just a pinky finger,very sensitive steering.also do hands free turning with a quick snap of the wheel.was gonna experiment with different pulley sizes.any and all input would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not sure where the problem lies but that ain't normal!  As sensitive as the steering is on mine I never have the feeling I'm losing control.  And 3rd gens should have better suspension than 2nd gens or so I'm told.

Back N Black

Sounds like you need a wheel alignment. I replaced my complete front end and the first shop did not align properly and it was all over the road. When it was setup properly it drives great.

HPP

i thought i was going above and beyond replacing iners,outers,uppers,lowers and steering box with alignment to top it off.

What alignment did the shop put on it? Odds are, that can be improved. I fyou have a print out of hte spec sheet you recieved, please scan and post.

RogerDodger

Sounds like mine. Same car. Used to wander back and forth always required correcting the steering. When I put the reman. box from Napa in it corrected 90% of the problem.

flyinlow

I just put a Steer and Gear two in my '73. Also replaced the pitman arm , shimmed up the idler arm , and eliminated the rag joint. Have driven about 60 miles since. Very tight steering with a 15" Tuff wheel . Feels similar to my 04 Ram.  S&G is local for me so I just drove in and swapped my box for one they had ready. Tom and the crew at S&G were great to deal with.