News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Thinking about buying my old car back

Started by RCKSTR, January 14, 2013, 09:20:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RCKSTR

I've been looking to buy another charger for a while. I have found a couple I like but would still need to be "tweaked" to make it the car I want ( I love blue cars with white vinyl tops). This weekend the guy that I sold my 69 to called me up asking if I'd like to buy my car back. It was my first 69 and truth be told if I got it back, I'd never let it go again. Its a triple green SE, numbers matching. The reason I sold it was I really wanted a 4 speed, and didnt want to cut a hole in a 85,000 mile survivor car. But after thinking about the car for the last 3 years, who really cares if its an original car? Its triple green, not very desirable, and pending a medical emergency, I wouldnt part with it again. It does need a trunk pan,extensions, rear crossmemeber/valance, a little patch work on the dutchman, and lower quarters. Other than that its a VERY solid car. I have already removed the original trunk pan and all the rust, prepped it, and had a new pan ready to weld in. I could buy it back for around 10K (its completely disassembled, as I sold it, he hasnt touched it in 3 years).

So I could

A) Buy it back, spend 8K, do the metal work,make it a 4 speed, paint it blue with a white vinyl top, tan interior (into the car for less than 20K)

or

B) Spend 25K on a california car that is very solid, born an SE 383 4 speed, which would still need a color change, and will cost me a couple thousand to get home, but is 100% complete.

I'd love to hear opinions from you guys to help me make up my mind

Darkman

Make it idiot proof, and somebody will make a better idiot!

If you think Education is difficult, try being stupid!

69 OUR/TEA

Blue w/white top I get,but with a tan interior ??

RCKSTR

Quote from: 69 OUR/TEA on January 14, 2013, 09:28:29 PM
Blue w/white top I get,but with a tan interior ??

White then? Black is waaaay too hot in the summer

Patronus

Go with whatcha know.. :Twocents:
At first it sounded real nice, but then you mention the metal it needs... Not a big deal I guess.
You had me up until the vinyl top...
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

RCKSTR

For me, this is  :drool5:

But I'd like a darker blue

XH29N0G

I would probably buy the old one.  It is up to you, but you pretty much know just what is needed.  
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

Brightyellow69rtse

get her back.cut the hole. blue with white top, white or dark blue interior.  

69 OUR/TEA

Nice look and stance with those cragars !!!!

stripedelete

Cragars are like bacon,,, they make everything better.

Buy your old one back.  I'd take a fresh green over B5 or B7 any day of the week.

dyslexic teddybear

I've got a thing for survivors.

But with the metal work mentioned......it's not really a survivor.....

Buy it back. For me, the biggest thing is you know this car.....no surprises.

If you kept the numbers matching trans......seems fairly easy to put it back if so desired.

Understand about the 4 speed thing......

RCKSTR

Quote from: dyslexic teddybear on January 14, 2013, 10:12:31 PM
I've got a thing for survivors.

But with the metal work mentioned......it's not really a survivor.....

Buy it back. For me, the biggest thing is you know this car.....no surprises.

If you kept the numbers matching trans......seems fairly easy to put it back if so desired.

Understand about the 4 speed thing......

Thats what I was thinking. I could keep the trans, and the piece of the floor I cut out and could easily weld it back in.

JB400

Just hurry up, write the check, and buy your old one back.  Enjoy the memories you had in the car and fix it up the way you want it.  Then you can make new memories with your old car.

What are you waiting for, Christmas? :shruggy: :lol:

RCKSTR

Wow seems pretty unanimous to buy the old car back! Not one vote for buy the other car, Thanks guys  :cheers: 

I will start a new thread on its resto once its back in my garage  :2thumbs:

Mopar440+6

Buy your old one back. Like yesterday...
"If you cant fix it with a wrench, get a hammer. If that doesn't work, get a bigger hammer!"

Darkman

Quote from: RCKSTR on January 14, 2013, 10:43:14 PM
Wow seems pretty unanimous to buy the old car back! Not one vote for buy the other car, Thanks guys  :cheers: 

I will start a new thread on its resto once its back in my garage  :2thumbs:

:2thumbs:

I'm still trying to track down my dad's car he bought new. I want it back so bad, but I think it has met its untimely death!
Make it idiot proof, and somebody will make a better idiot!

If you think Education is difficult, try being stupid!

rt green

the old one  has my vote. i made the decision to make the rt a 4 speed. cant wait to drive it.
third string oil changer

Bob T

Yeah, I'd probably run with the pack and get it back and change it how you want. If you go for the 25k car likely you'll still be throwing cash at it to get it how you want anyway.. A guy in our club has a similar car to the blue one above, really quite a striking car in any setting , mine's just , well, black  :lol:
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

1974dodgecharger

blacks always badass!!!  satin black, matte, black, shiny black, chrome black, always VOTE ON BLACK!  :2thumbs:
Quote from: Bob T on January 15, 2013, 03:50:25 AM
Yeah, I'd probably run with the pack and get it back and change it how you want. If you go for the 25k car likely you'll still be throwing cash at it to get it how you want anyway.. A guy in our club has a similar car to the blue one above, really quite a striking car in any setting , mine's just , well, black  :lol:

tan top

go get it !!  :yesnod:  looking forward to seeing pictures  :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

F8-4life

Go with the original 4speed with less rust. Then you can always have a legit 4speed charger. Plus why relive the past, get a new ride.

RCKSTR

Quote from: F8-4life on January 15, 2013, 09:56:32 AM
Go with the original 4speed with less rust. Then you can always have a legit 4speed charger. Plus why relive the past, get a new ride.

First one  :o

2fast4u

DODGE CHARGER--Fuel for Living!

mauve66

i wish i had a stick but my 1st car was an auto and i would still take it back instead of worrying about a "legit" stick car if i had a choice between the 2, unless everything else on the stick car is "legit" (as in restored to the 9th degree) no one is going to care that yours was an auto before
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

Cooter

Get it back, but I'd lose the vinyl Top. Soild color R/T Clone. Looks Good.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"