News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

eagle rods

Started by rt green, January 13, 2013, 01:45:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rt green

just picked up a set of eagle h beam rods at the swap meet. i have 7. he said one spun. where can i get another one?  he didnt have the spun one in the set. they look pretty good though.
third string oil changer

JB400

Check your local performance shop or Eagle distributor.  But, personally, I'm not fond of using someone else's used rods.  Maybe contact Eagle directly?

rt green

got all 7 for 40 bucks. looks like eagle will send you just one. i'll have to weight the big end and small end sepretly. we will see how helpful my local machine shop is.
third string oil changer

JB400

Why didn't he just buy another rod and put his engine back together?

rt green

said he went with a stroker engine. these are stock 440 stroke. he wanted 75 but got him down to 40 after alot of talking-begging. not alot of mopar stuff at our swap meets. mostly dirt track and sprint stuff. if you aint gm here you aint shit. or so they think.
third string oil changer

JB400

We float in the same boat.  Local dirt track guys run chevies, so it makes our mopars a little scarce in the parts department.  Or expensive :eek2:

rt green

shame isnt it?  well, they should be better than stock. i think i got a deal. i'll run them through the machine shop when i put the gtx together.
third string oil changer

JB400

Actually, I think that means we will just have the most fun.  I haven't met a Chevy guy yet that likes getting beat by a Mopar :lol:  Your new rods should hold up fine to anything you throw at them.  But, I agree, have a machine shop check them out first.  Your good deal might not be a good deal with a window in the block :eek2:

rt green

well, all the rods i have are at least 40 yrs old. if they pass the machine shop, why not?
third string oil changer

greenpigs

Quote from: rt green on January 14, 2013, 04:21:37 PM
well, all the rods i have are at least 40 yrs old. if they pass the machine shop, why not?

No reason I can think of as long as the machine shop knows what they are doing.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

firefighter3931

Quote from: rt green on January 14, 2013, 04:21:37 PM

All metal components have a duty cycle. A set of 40 yr old rods have been subjected to countless heating/cooling cycles and years of use & in some cases abuse. A machine shop can inspect/shot peen/magnaflux and resize a set of stock rods but they can not guarantee that they will not fail. The same holds true for an aftermarket rod but with superior materials, fastners and design it will be much stronger.  ;)

That being said ; my old 446 ran a set of stock reworked LY rods with ARP bolts installed. That engine also had the heavy TRW 6-pack replacement pistons. It held together fine but i kept the RPM's to 6000-6200 shift points and didn't push the envelope too hard. The rotating assembly was also balanced which helps a lot.  :yesnod:

The Eagle's are very good rods for the money....i have a set in my 572 pump gas engine along with an Eagle crank & Diamond lightweight pistons.  :2thumbs:

I guess it depends on how hard you want to run the engine....but if a had a choice, the Eagle rod would be the clear frontrunner.  :icon_smile_big:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

red69superbee

we use eagle stuff at the machine shop i work at, never had a problem at all, alw
ays good parts!

rt green

got one wieghed at the machine shop. just waiting on uncle sams tax return  to order another one. doesnt look that promising this year
third string oil changer