News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

DOH last season

Started by Dino, January 10, 2013, 03:22:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike DC

The DOH models were mainly 1/8th scale stuff.  The cars were about the size of a skateboard.  Hollywood likes to build their miniatures on the large side to help the realism.  

That kind of miniature work is actually more expensive than you'd think.  The little vehicles aren't too expensive but those are not the only things in the shot.  They also needed hundreds of square feet of miniature roads/backgrounds.  

daveco

Quote from: hatersaurusrex on January 10, 2013, 09:33:52 PM
...Also at about 8:00 you'll see what appears to be a white 68 Coronet being jumped over.
R/Tree

Cooter

Any REAL DOH fan knows thew last two seasons aren't watched. First 3 seasons are the best.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Dino

Quote from: hatersaurusrex on January 10, 2013, 09:33:52 PM
Watched this vid a couple weeks back, it's got all the model jumps compiled into one vid.   I think they did a decent job with what they had but a few times it's PAINFULLY obvious it's not a real car

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlls_m1x-34

Forward to about 4 mins for the first of the model jumps

Also at about 8:00 you'll see what appears to be a white 68 Coronet being jumped over.

Thanks for posting that.  I can now say I say the model cars jump...and I wish I hadn't.   :lol:

I think they did pretty good for the time, obviously it's not a real car but they did better than I expected.  The part that likely killed it is not how they did the jump, but what they were trying to clear.  A water tower?  A big ass barn?  I was waiting for the damn thing to just fly off at one point.

I only got half way through the video though, couldn't take any more of it. 
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Mike DC

The model jumps were too big but that was part of the reason for doing them that way.  To outdo what could (affordably) be done with the real thing.  "Knight Rider" had gone to miniatures a couple years earlier and the DOH producers were keeping up with them.

Another problem was the physics of throwing model cars around.  Smaller objects don't behave the same way as bigger versions of them do, even if you make them out of the same materials.  

The most convincing miniature shots in the movies are usually done BIG scales (read: expensive) to keep the realism better.  For the shot when the Titanic broke in half in the Leo DeCaprio movie, they used a "miniature" of the ship the size of a semi trailer. 

F8-4life

I liked the first episode or ttwo, the ones were rosco would say jackass instead of just being overly goofy. The first ones just seemed more real before they fell into the "groov" of the show. Oh and the ones with the minitures are not to be watched, unless your drunk/high and are into that kinda thing lol.