News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone ever seen this before?

Started by hotrod98, January 10, 2013, 11:53:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotrod98

A friend of mine was visiting the shop today and noticed some strange marks on a Daytona wing that we've stripped.  There are two of these marks on the outside and two on the inside on both uprights. I've never noticed this before on any wing.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

nascarxx29

Ive seen those marks before on a nascar wing
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

A383Wing

Dans 68

I'll play.  ;)  I'm guessing that as these marks are on opposite sides of the vertical stabilizer (a guess), and that as the vertical stabilizer is hollow (correct?) the marks are the residual set apart tooling fasteners that were used to establish the gap between the two vertical halves of the stabilizer. Once in the jig the stabilizer would be welded up and the entire stabilizer surface ground to the required finished shape. There appears to be no rotational orientation to the marks. Just a guess....   :scratchchin:

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

hemigeno

They were on my (stock) wing too IIRC.

Vestiges from the casting process??   :shruggy:

cdr

all of ya'll are wrong!!!!!!   that wing is junk!!! just send it to me & i will pay shipping  :icon_smile_big:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

WINGIN IT

Perhaps that's the mark left after it got its smallpox vaccination ...  :lol:

moparstuart

Quote from: WINGIN IT on January 11, 2013, 12:54:30 PM

Perhaps that's the mark left after it got its smallpox vaccination ...  :lol:
:yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: i got one of those on my shoulder
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

hemigeno

Quote from: hemigeno on January 11, 2013, 12:00:46 PM
They were on my (stock) wing too IIRC.

Found the pic I was looking for...

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

DC_1

Probably ejector pin marks from the tool. After they are cast and the tool opens up there is action that releases the part.

hotrod98

The marks on the outside don't line up with the marks on the inside. And, they don't all have the smallpox vaccine look. The Superbird wing that we just finished a few months back didn't have these marks. Would love to have seen these poured back in the day. I'm sure it has something to do with the casting process.
Were the wings poured as two seperate parts and then welded together?

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

DC_1

This is a injection mould example but its the same idea.

The ejectors release the part after moulding or casting

odcics2

DC-93  (the #88 Daytona)  has them.  
The uprights are sand cast.

I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

DC_1

In sand casting there are something called "Chaplets" that support the core if the casting is hollow. This could be remnants of those 

Beep Beep Dave

Quote from: DC_1(formerly Sydmoe) on January 11, 2013, 04:51:16 PM
In sand casting there are something called "Chaplets" that support the core if the casting is hollow. This could be remnants of those 

I worked in an iron foundry for 11 years....thats what it looks like to me too!

Dave
'69-1/2 SIXPACK/SIXBBL REGISTRY On-Line Registry for the Lift Off Hood cars!!!
Maple Leaf Mopars your Canadian Mopar site.

1970 Charger R/T

Daytona Guy

Quote from: Beep Beep Dave on January 11, 2013, 07:24:24 PM

I worked in an iron foundry for 11 years....thats what it looks like to me too!

Dave
Yes and it should be inlayed and may not be aluminum - if not another blend of aluminum. I can show this to my foundry guy.

Dane

Davtona

:iagree:

nascarxx29

http://www.wwnboa.org/motw.htm

www.hackettbrass.com

Hackett Brass manufactures a complete line of copper, bronze and aluminum castings in sand, permanent and centrifugal molds. Purchased in 1917 from the Hackett brothers, the foundry is now entering its fourth generation of family ownership and management.

In it's early years our foundry cast repairs for passing lake freighters. They would often pull off of the Detroit River into a canal behind the plant to wait for repairs.

During the Korean War we produced six bronze parts for the navy's Bofors gun. Production schedules required a second shift to allow "regular" work to continue during the day.

Hackett cast the spoiler stanchions for the first Daytona Charger. These were the tall stanchions that held the spoiler well above the roofline for stock car racing. Later we produced a shorter version for the street charger.

Other special casting include the dedication plaques on Detroit's McArthur Bridge and a 30-foot map of Michigan located on a plaza in Lansing, Michigan.

Hackett Brass management averages over 20 years per man of foundry experience. Our experience is what we did yesterday, this knowledge will help you tomorrow
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

odcics2

Quote from: hotrod98 on January 10, 2013, 11:53:31 PM
A friend of mine was visiting the shop today and noticed some strange marks on a Daytona wing that we've stripped.  There are two of these marks on the outside and two on the inside on both uprights. I've never noticed this before on any wing.

How many original Daytona wings have you seen?    Maybe there is differences when they were produced?   :shruggy:

Some horizontal stabilizers are solid and some hollow.   Could be more of the same...   :Twocents:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?