News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Just arrived 1971 ,gold/green,white top,383 se

Started by brigond, January 10, 2013, 07:26:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: ACUDANUT on January 12, 2013, 11:32:46 PM
Quote from: brigond on January 12, 2013, 01:56:30 PM
I just walked passed my car sitting in the driveway and took about 1 minute to look it over. Never have much time and always on the go. I did notice something though. The rear valance appears to be installed upside-down . It seems to me that there are two round indentations ( cut outs) where the exhaust pipes tips would sit  much like the posted picture . Possibly on purpose to accomodate a different position (farther appart) exhaust tips . Maybe they flipped it so the indentations would not show cause the the tips are not lined up with the cut outs? 

I don't know if that's possible. :scratchchin:

is not.

MAYBE you noticed small indentations on top to accomodate the bumpers brackets. Rear valance goes really close and it has some clearence there for them
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

archie360

I've been researching '71 SE's for awhile while restoring mine.  In regards to the taillights; I have noticed two possibly correct versions.  One with black in the recessed areas and one without.  Both are silver.  

mine with the blackout

And without ...

From what I have found so far, both could be correct.  There could have been some variation due to different vendors or changes during the production year.  Mine with the black surrounds was made at Lynch Road in 8/70.  Interesting point made regarding the tail lights on the red SE pictured above.  It could just be the picture or maybe an early production car.  If you look at the wheel centers, to me they look light silver like the 1970 production run.  

FWIW, the full vinyl roof was available but the canopy was standard on SE's.  
1971 SE 383HP     1972 Rallye 340

Mopar Nut

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

71 SE3834V

Quote from: archie360 on January 13, 2013, 12:30:25 AM
I've been researching '71 SE's for awhile while restoring mine.  In regards to the taillights; I have noticed two possibly correct versions.  One with black in the recessed areas and one without.  Both are silver.  

From what I have found so far, both could be correct.  There could have been some variation due to different vendors or changes during the production year.  Mine with the black surrounds was made at Lynch Road in 8/70.  Interesting point made regarding the tail lights on the red SE pictured above.  It could just be the picture or maybe an early production car.  If you look at the wheel centers, to me they look light silver like the 1970 production run.  

FWIW, the full vinyl roof was available but the canopy was standard on SE's.  

Interesting. I've never seen the black like that before. Read about a black coloring b4 but thought it was just in the recesss around each lens like a pinstipe.
Now what I was talking about on mine was the whole thing was black. You can see what I'm talking about in this link.
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,96371.0.html

Since mine might have been replaced I thought maybe it was from a different optioned car but most likely someone just painted them. I think it goes well w/the blacked out hideaways so I repainted them.

Sorry brigond, my computer wouldn't read my SD card last night so I didn't get the pics downloaded till now. Pics coming.
71 Charger SE 383 4V
72 Galaxie 500 400 2V

71 SE3834V

Rear bumper reveal to go w/nacho's pic.
71 Charger SE 383 4V
72 Galaxie 500 400 2V

71 SE3834V

Lt rear reveal. As you can see I'm also missing the center decklid trim & badges:
Lt front reveal & hood trim:
Hood trim at cowl:

Can you say...it sure needs to to be rechromed!
71 Charger SE 383 4V
72 Galaxie 500 400 2V

71 SE3834V

Badges:
1) C piller
2) Drivers side
3) Pass side
71 Charger SE 383 4V
72 Galaxie 500 400 2V

71 SE3834V

1) Front valance close up
2) rocker trim

Golly! My car sure is ugly close up!

brigond, lemme know if you need any other pics. Like I said, it's near complete. Ugly but 99% there.
71 Charger SE 383 4V
72 Galaxie 500 400 2V

Nacho-RT74

it looks the rears will require about the same modifications the front ones need, begining from the 73/74 repros available
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

brigond

Thanks 71se3834v. The pics help a lot and I appreciate the trouble. I took a picture of the fender tag  with my phone but it won't post to this thread . I guess the file  is  too big . Somebody on this thread asked for it. Do you know where exactly where the vin number is on the engine?  So far, the fender , dash and door jam #s match.  I just didn't see the engine # . I was loosing daylight so I probably missed it.
Mopars are like the Hot Wheel/Matchbox cars from when I was a kid ...  Bad A@@ and Cool!!!

My other hobby is practicing the ancient art of CLICK! POW!

brigond

Okay this may be a strange question but here we go .  My horn is not working  and I'm not very familiar with these cars......... When you press for the horn , do you press the center (brown wood grain ) or the outer edge?  I'm probably gonna have to determined if its the switch in the wheel or the horns . First I'm gonna check the fuse box when I find that.  ;)
Mopars are like the Hot Wheel/Matchbox cars from when I was a kid ...  Bad A@@ and Cool!!!

archie360

Push the black buttons, not the center.  Possibly the horn relay, do you hear a click when you push the horn button?  I'm troubleshooting my horns to (no power)

71se3834v, don't sell your car short.  It's in better condition then mine and more complete.  Mine is GA4 gunmetal metallic but you wouldn't know without checking the data plate.  Thanks for the pic's also, I've been looking for months for the valance trim with no luck.  At least now I have a better idea what to look for.  

Mopar Nut

Quote from: archie360 on January 13, 2013, 07:57:27 PM
Push the black buttons, not the center.  Possibly the horn relay, do you hear a click when you push the horn button?  I'm troubleshooting my horns to (no power)

71se3834v, don't sell your car short.  It's in better condition then mine and more complete.  Mine is GA4 gunmetal metallic but you wouldn't know without checking the data plate.  Thanks for the pic's also, I've been looking for months for the valance trim with no luck.  At least now I have a better idea what to look for.  

Looks good, love to own a 71. Nice wheels.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

71 SE3834V

Yeah I just kid myself. Truth is in person you'd see just how rock solid the car is. Trunk floor only has 2 areas of surface rust the size of your fist. Floor & rails rock solid. Outer body - 1 fender has a soft spot. I only wish I had the funds & know how to refinish her. I'm an old wrench so I'm slowly whipping the mechanics into shape to make it roadworthy. I'd like to find out just how many of these had leather seats like mine. I'm guessing not many.

brigond: Your engine ID will be located on the pass side of the block, just above the oil pan. Like me, you might have to scrap of years of junk to see it.

I've got a non working horn also but my steering wheel is the Tuff Wheel w/rimblow and the touch rim is rock hard so until I diagnose it I'm guessing that's where the problem is.
71 Charger SE 383 4V
72 Galaxie 500 400 2V

Mopar Nut

Quote from: 71 SE3834V on January 13, 2013, 08:11:25 PM
I'd like to find out just how many of these had leather seats like mine. I'm guessing not many.
My understanding is that all Charger SE's had leather seats, I could be wrong. My 70 Challenger SE had leather inserts in the front seats only.

Ghoste

archie360

Thanks Mopar Nut.  Leather was optional on 71 Chargers SE's from what I have found... my interior is out of a '72 roadrunner so who am I to say  ;)

Mopar Nut

brigond

Since I can't post a pic here are the vin #s. On the fender tag.

First line on the top... 15115  11222  420  042
Next line........................G11
 Next...........................26
Next.............................V1W   U          C16     H51
Next line :....................G Y 8   E5F7  GF7  910   019568
Next...:...:........:.............E65     D32.  WP29  N1A   111329

These are my fender tag # s  I tried to space them just like the tag .
I know that g y 8 is the color  metalic gold.

Scaregrabber

Good thread, I love 71 SE's (right from the day they came out).

Sheldon

71 SE3834V

420 = 383 4bbl, auto trans, a/c
042 = 3.23 open, 8 3/4", 10" drum axle, front disc
G11 - tinted glass
26 = 26" radiator (comes w/a/c)
U = USA (I believe)
C16 = console
H51 = A/C w/heater
GY8 = paint code
E5F7 = Trim/Type of interior
GF7 = color int, door frames
910 = date built (Sept 10, I believe)
019568 = order #
E65 = 383, 4bbl
D32 = HD auto trans
The rest is your VIN.

My interior is CRXA - (Leather bucket seats, charcoal/black) though elsewhere it's listed as Gun/Blk. My seats are gunmetal, carpet - black, doors - gunmetal on the top w/blk on bottom. I will look up the data sheet and confirm the leather seat option & yes it's the front inserts only.
71 Charger SE 383 4V
72 Galaxie 500 400 2V

archie360

71 SE3834V

I'm seeing:
SE standard-cloth/vinyl bench seat.
optional-buckets in cloth/vinyl, colors-blue, green, black & gold.
optional-buckets in leather, colors-black, green & tan.
Don't see a code # other than C65 which has both bench & buckets listed under it.

My build sheet has C55 list for the seats. ?? I'll have to check another website.

Good info found here:
http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/dealerships/1971DealershipDataBook-03.shtml
71 Charger SE 383 4V
72 Galaxie 500 400 2V

brigond

No,  archive360 no luck with the horn .  Don't know when ill have time but ill post what it we when I do..
383se4v... " You are the man"!  Great decode.

71 SE3834V

Quote from: brigond on January 13, 2013, 10:33:42 PM
No,  archive360 no luck with the horn .  Don't know when ill have time but ill post what it we when I do..
383se4v... " You are the man"!  Great decode.

It was pretty easy since most was the same as mine. Everything but the colors & interior. Have you looked for the build sheet yet? That's where the real story will be told. Little things like spare tire cover, trunk dress up package,  radio will be listed.
Get yourself a notebook & start writing down everything you learn about your car as well as what you do to it.
71 Charger SE 383 4V
72 Galaxie 500 400 2V