News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Just arrived 1971 ,gold/green,white top,383 se

Started by brigond, January 10, 2013, 07:26:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mytur Binsdirti

Dino

Looks real nice!  Congrats!  If you don't like the wheels lemme know (in pm) what you want for them if selling.  I may be interested.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on January 11, 2013, 02:16:04 PM
Quote from: ACUDANUT on January 11, 2013, 02:00:57 PM
Please get rid of the Green interior asap. :hah:

X2  :icon_smile_big:

too much nice interior to get rid of it.

I'd say GET NEW SEAT COVERS, AND DONE... I'd say same colors in fact ( goldish and green ) but vinyl with same 71 original pattern ( kinda the 71 RRs, back/red, but green/gold, and WELL DONE )
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

bsakal

Quote from: brigond on January 10, 2013, 09:23:17 PM
Yes the interior is a little tough on the eyes.  The wife and kids  were almost turned to stone when they first laid eyes on it.

I almost spit on my keyboard laughing at this statement... :lol:
69 Charger SE - 66 Chrysler Newport 383

BigBlackDodge

I'd go back to the 'Go green' color on the exterior!....keep the interior.

Never was a fan of the gold color....but that's just me.

BBD

rt green

third string oil changer

brigond

It really is growing on me. It has a funky 70s feel. I was only a boy in the 70s but it does brings back memories. Its a bitter sweet kind of thing.  Its not my taste  either but it has a nostalgic  quality that I'm not sure I want to erase . I think it will be fun to see  and hear all the responses  ( positive and negative )  from people who see it for the first time .
 I've been working so much  that I've only been able to just look at the car as I walk passsed it in the driveway . I'm looking forward to verifying any  vin codes.  

Also , any suggestions on a good company that sells parts for chargers . I found a couple of them out there . I would like to pick up some of the missing emblems and any other part that I may need.  I prefer word of mouth recommendations .
Mopars are like the Hot Wheel/Matchbox cars from when I was a kid ...  Bad A@@ and Cool!!!

My other hobby is practicing the ancient art of CLICK! POW!

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: brigond on January 11, 2013, 07:29:08 PM

Also , any suggestions on a good company that sells parts for chargers . I found a couple of them out there . I would like to pick up some of the missing emblems and any other part that I may need.  I prefer word of mouth recommendations .

THAAAT WAS FUNNY... welcome to the 3rd gens adventure ;)

-cowl grill... just used but not hard.
-emblems... just used, a little bit hard
-Center rear female belt... just used. ( actually need just the cover, but green will be HARD to find )
-Shoulder front belts... just used ( once again, green will be HARD to find )
-Stretch out the headliner... easy, any uphosltery shop should be able to make it correctly.
-Do you want a correct hood ? you can get two flat hoods for the bulged one ;) ( thats a 73 bulged hood )
-AC lines... I think can be made for any AC shop. If not, classic auto air should make it for you
-Correct air purificator decal... any Mopar ebay shop or resto shop sells those repros
-Doors bumpers... MegapartsUSA allong with some other resto Mopar dealers
-left side parking light bulb ( 1157A )... any auto parts shop ;) LOL
-front clip and rear clip body mouldings around bumpers... corners can be get from BEAparts, PGclassic, athoug they sell 73/74 but 71/72s are virtually the same. Some mods required... centers ( deck lid and hood ) just used or NOS unless I'm misssing something. ( althought I think 71 SEs different from 72 SEs, are just a top molding, not sides.
-Lower valence molding... good luck with that
-Rocker moldings... they are being reproed... can't recall who's the one

Otherwise looks pretty much complete.

I'm talking about a full and correct SE setup
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html

Nacho-RT74

I'm correcting. SEs shows a full corner body moulding at least on brochure.

Charger scripts on Fenders. I think they are same size of the 73/74 doors, but stick on... I think 71/72s were actually pins

wondering about your "ful vinyl top" setup... SEs were canopy roof... unless they could get the full top option ?

here you can see better the front valence molding on opening

brigond

Beautiful guys thanks . I will pick and choose which parts I will buy based on if they will improve the look. I'm not hell bent on returning it to %100 se. Great help here!
Mopars are like the Hot Wheel/Matchbox cars from when I was a kid ...  Bad A@@ and Cool!!!

71 SE3834V

Quote from: TUFCAT on January 10, 2013, 09:42:21 PM
Quote from: brigond on January 10, 2013, 09:23:17 PM
if anyone notices anything  that does not belong please lend me your input .  Someone mentioned the seat trim not being original . What was in it then?  No offense  will be taken by any helpful criticism . The more I learn about the car the better .

More originality issues exist (if that's what you're looking for). For example, Charger SE bumpers were always chrome plated, and bulge hood with hood pins was not available.  All Charger SE's came with flat hoods regardless of engine option. Dual chrome slotted exhaust tips (with cutout rear valance) was available on SE models equipped w/Magnum engines if so ordered.  Your car is a real "WP29" SE according to the vin but its missing the SE chrome front valence panel trim, bumper reveal moldings, and decklid edge molding. Other minor "fixable" issues such as dash panel insert is missing its "Charger SE" emblem, nearly all exterior emblems are missing, and the air cleaner pie pan ID is wrong. Dodge pie pans were "magnum" not "commando" which was a Plymouth term. The fifth digit "N" is correct so it appears to be a pretty rare 1971 Charger SE 383-4bbl.  Please post a picture of the fender tag when you get a chance.  

By the way, that GY8 gold is a really nice color on this Charger!  :2thumbs:

Tufcat, ya pretty much saw the same missing items that I did. I don't know which is worse, missing badges or ones w/paint on them cause someone didn't want to remove them b4 painting like mine are. :smilielol:
I'll throw in the mix that the 383 4v came w/dual exhaust though w/o the chrome slotted tips and no cut outs in the valance.
Hey! A 71 SE w/383 4v w/air can't be all that rare! Even I found one!

Nice pics nacho showing the front & rear bumper reveal moulding.

Hey brigond, if you want some pics showing all the missing moldings & badges I can send ya some as mine is pretty much complete except for the rear decklid is missing the badge & moulding.
I like the painted bumpers.
71 Charger SE 383 4V
72 Galaxie 500 400 2V

TUFCAT

71SE383 I think you're correct about 1971 Charger SE optional chrome slotted exhaust tips w/cutout valance.  Chrome tips might have been available on (SE models) with 440-4bbl engines only but I'll check... :shruggy:  In 1972 I know chrome tips could be ordered on SE models with either 400-4bbl or 440-4bbl engine.  :yesnod:

71 SE3834V

Yeah I was just going by the 71 Dealership Data book. Listed the 383 4bbl as coming w/duals included. More air in, more exhaust out!  ;D

This just in! We have a verdict! Just looked it up.
Bright exhaust tips, option N42, was std w/Hemi, available w/4bbl & 6 packs on SE, RT, & SB's.  :yesnod:
NA in Cal. :nana: sorry west coasters.
http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/DealershipDataBook/1971/71_Charger0018.jpg
71 Charger SE 383 4V
72 Galaxie 500 400 2V

archie360

Congrats on the SE I bought mine in September.  It's another WP29N and does not have the N42 option.  Regular turned down pipes were the norm but as 71SE3834V said they were available.  Here's a pic from back in the day.

1971 SE 383HP     1972 Rallye 340

brigond

Yes, 71se3834v  it would be great if you can send me pictures  of the molding that I need . do you want my email or will you post them on the thread ?

71 SE3834V

That's a great pic showing the fender/bumper reveal mouldings (don't know exactly what they're called) & the decklid badging. I didn't know there was supposed to be a "SE" badge there also. 1st one I've seen. I like the rallye wheels also. Gives me an idea what mine are going to look like when I get rid of the funky lookin chromes & mount my freshly painted wheels in the spring.

Question: The tailights look like they're dark argent, same as the wheels centers, instead of the silver. Is it just because of the old pic? Reason I ask is because when I bought my car, the taillights were black. Now evidence shows my car had been "tapped" in the rear. Tailight wiring was cut & spliced (poorly) to most likely replace said tailights. Ahhhh! Why not just unplug it. Just wondered if someone at that time painted them black. I like it as it goes well w/the hideaways & the black top so I repainted them.

brigond:
I'll post some pics. Give me a day or so as I have to get to work. I've got a good one of the front valance trim but most of the side shots aren't any better than what guys have been posting. I'll take some close ups for you of badge locations but the car is put away & I can't get to the pass side. I might get over there today to store my wheels so I'll take the camera & get what I can.

You can see the trim around the valance at the front license holder area. This was the day I brought it home so never mind how dirty it looks and the broken lens.  :smilielol: If you zoom in you'll see the badging for the pass side. Down on the lower part of the fender is a penstar badge which is only located on the pass side. I'll have to email you some pics cause I have to downsize my pics to post & they're not as clear when zoming.

71 Charger SE 383 4V
72 Galaxie 500 400 2V

Nacho-RT74

http://www.ebay.com/itm/71-72-73-74-DODGE-PLYMOUTH-B-BODY-CHARGER-ROADRUNNER-ORIGINAL-AM-FM-STEREO-/121005382532?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c2c7b9b84&vxp=mtr

I have a pair of SE tristar emblems for C pillar... somewhere... that I can give you for free ( just paying shipping ), once I remember where I have them

the deal is... I LIVE IN VENEZUELA :P ( but hey!!!... emblems are free!!!! no repro available of those )

brigond

I just walked passed my car sitting in the driveway and took about 1 minute to look it over. Never have much time and always on the go. I did notice something though. The rear valance appears to be installed upside-down . It seems to me that there are two round indentations ( cut outs) where the exhaust pipes tips would sit  much like the posted picture . Possibly on purpose to accomodate a different position (farther appart) exhaust tips . Maybe they flipped it so the indentations would not show cause the the tips are not lined up with the cut outs? 

brigond

Thank you nachort74 , I just may take you up on that offer when to find them.
Thank you 383se4v , don't go crazy trying to get picures . Downsizing pictures sounds like a hassle .  :2thumbs:

brigond

383se4v, nice ride, color and stripe  . I was thinking of some sort of side stripe and blacking out the bulge hood . 

71 SE3834V

Quote from: brigond on January 12, 2013, 02:17:09 PM
383se4v, nice ride, color and stripe  . I was thinking of some sort of side stripe and blacking out the bulge hood . 

Thanks. Doesn't look as good in person though. Was driven hard and put away neglected. Former owner told me stories of running from the cops doing 130! You can read about how I found it here: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,96371.0.html

Weird about your valance.

Got some close ups of what your looking for. No biggie, just give me the rest of the eve to get some chow and download them off the camera.
71 Charger SE 383 4V
72 Galaxie 500 400 2V

ACUDANUT

Quote from: brigond on January 12, 2013, 01:56:30 PM
I just walked passed my car sitting in the driveway and took about 1 minute to look it over. Never have much time and always on the go. I did notice something though. The rear valance appears to be installed upside-down . It seems to me that there are two round indentations ( cut outs) where the exhaust pipes tips would sit  much like the posted picture . Possibly on purpose to accomodate a different position (farther appart) exhaust tips . Maybe they flipped it so the indentations would not show cause the the tips are not lined up with the cut outs? 

I don't know if that's possible. :scratchchin:

Nacho-RT74

just in case, here is the diff between 71/72 and 73/74 "bumper reveal moldings"... fronts at least:

the ones being reproed are 73/74 which are the bigger ones. easy to modify

I think rears needs bigger mods but still "doable"