News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Salvage Yard Tour with Pics

Started by Shakey, February 13, 2006, 01:31:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shakey

Here are some pics for you dudes.

I scored some more nuts and bolts and screws and my luckiest find, the proper disc brake master cylinder for my '69.  Correct casting # and the lines coming out on the engine side.  I even scored the metering valve and proportioning valve also.

Interesting place with lots of goodies (not so much for Chargers).

Shakey

;)

Shakey

:o

Shakey

;D

Shakey

:yesnod:

RD

67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Shakey

::)

Shakey

:icon_smile_wink:

Shakey

:-*

Shakey

:icon_smile_question:

Shakey

:icon_smile_dead:

Shakey

:-\

Shakey

>:(

Charger_Fan

Quote from: RD on February 13, 2006, 01:37:41 PM
cool shakey, where was that at?
I'm guessing somewhere in California. ;D

Man, I can't believe how many musclecars are there! And how many Chargers & E-bods too!

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Shakey

Quote from: CHARGER_FAN on February 13, 2006, 01:57:08 PM
Quote from: RD on February 13, 2006, 01:37:41 PM
cool shakey, where was that at?
I'm guessing somewhere in California. ;D

Man, I can't believe how many musclecars are there! And how many Chargers & E-bods too!

Correct!  Fresno, CA to be more precise.

Turners AW

4402tuff4u

Shakey, how do those salvage yards work? you go around by yourself picking and dismantling the stuff you want and then bring it to the counter? or does someone follow you and you tell them what you want? I'm specifically asking about the one in Phoenix, AZ.
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

Brock Samson

While were on the subject of Cali Yards:

Commons Auto Parts in South San Francisco.(650) 583 1242 - reputed to have lots of Mopar parts.

they were instermental   :musik010: in helping me with my parade float, provideing many small misc. brackets and linkages and my '69 S.E. parts car.   In a visit there last week I spotted a half dozen 70-74 E bods, a great condition (complete, running) '69 Charger, a WWII era jeep, a early 40s Plymouth (complete) a couple misc b and c bods, and various blocks and rear ends laying around,..

If ya get out there, check me out as im in the immediate area...

Commons Auto Parts in South San Francisco.(650) 583 1242 

Shakey

Quote from: Stratocharger on February 13, 2006, 02:16:09 PM
While were on the subject of Cali Yards:

Commons Auto Parts in South San Francisco.(650) 583 1242 - reputed to have lots of Mopar parts.

they were instermental   :musik010: in helping me with my parade float, provideing many small misc. brackets and linkages and my '69 S.E. parts car.   In a visit there last week I spotted a half dozen 70-74 E bods, a great condition (complete, running) '69 Charger, a WWII era jeep, a early 40s Plymouth (complete) a couple misc b and c bods, and various blocks and rear ends laying around,..

If ya get out there, check me out as im in the immediate area...

Commons Auto Parts in South San Francisco.(650) 583 1242 

I flew home from SFO on Wednesday!

I have heard about that place as my customer's husband is into old, old cars and knows about it.

I had run outta time and I wanted to get home to see the Wife and Child.  I left a day early.

My suitcase was already overweight and I had a bit of trouble getting my mouldings on the plane as "they could be used to bludgeon someone"!

I had a bunch of wise ass answers / comments for the head of security at SFO:

"If you look at the end, you can see that they are quite sharp and would probably work better as a spear"

"I've tried this already, there is no room in the cabin to swing them properly"

"How come buddy up there can bring his umbrella on but I can't bring these on?"

"The price I paid for these things, I won't be swinging them at anyone"

I knew better to just keep my mouth shut and it worked fine.  After a couple of x-rays they let me go.  And it is a good thing too as I only had a few minutes to board as I cut it far too close that day.

Shakey

Quote from: 4402tuff4u on February 13, 2006, 02:03:25 PM
Shakey, how do those salvage yards work? you go around by yourself picking and dismantling the stuff you want and then bring it to the counter? or does someone follow you and you tell them what you want? I'm specifically asking about the one in Phoenix, AZ.

No tools allowed in yard.   :D

Go find something and come back and ask for a price.  If you are at Desert Valley, ask for a chair before you get priced.  Don't be afraid to haggle, but do it with respect.  I got $60.00 USD knocked off my original price for some trim and some other goodies.  I even talked him into giving me a vaccum canister and a pile of nuts and bolts because I found them lying on the ground.

It is amazing though.  The prices are very high but yet they stack cars on top of each other and valuable trim is left on the ground of bent in half and thrown into the car.

ipstrategies

Shakey
Thanks for the info, it would be great to find a yard in ohio like that (though the cars would be rusted out most likely.) Yards I have found will not let you even walk around. The one that allows you to walk has 1 mopar in it a stripped 72 Charger that I may go get the front rotors off of but that is about all that is left.
1971 Dodge Charger SE 383 Magnum
1999 Dodge Durango 5.9
1995 Chrysler LHS

chargerboy69

Great pictures. I just hate seeing cars like that. . . . .
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

TruckDriver

Geez, I'd like to grab those E bodies and put them on ebay. They sure have some good starter project '71 & '72 Chargers.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Nupe

Thanks for the great pics!  I've been to some cool yards, but never yards with planes!  :o

I'm VERY jealous of all that solid sheet metal I spy....   :icon_smile_blackeye:

'79 Lil'Red Express.

Telvis

I wish there were still yards like that around here. Nothing but newer stuff. :rotz:

chrisII

i only know of one good yard like that in my general area (within an hour or so) its like 1/2 a mile from one of my x gfs moms and 2 brothers houses. the place has tons of really old stuff but its packed so closley on the place that you cant get to a car to pull parts off without walking over 20 others. i havnt ben there for like 6 years but when i went by a year ago nothing had changed. of corse its run by a guy whose like70 and seemed to be a bit quirky, but very nice guy as i recall after ya get to chattin with him. let me walk around the place for several hours. never did buy anything but did alot of looking. its mostly rotted to heck from WI and the fact that its sitting in dirt, but prices seemed reasonable

terrible one

Quote from: Telvis on February 13, 2006, 08:47:30 PM
I wish there were still yards like that around here. Nothing but newer stuff. :rotz:

Same here man, it's a shame.

MoparMotel

I live in Fresno...Turners auto wrecking?
1968 Dodge Charger

TruckDriver

Quote from: chrisII on February 13, 2006, 09:04:38 PM
i only know of one good yard like that in my general area (within an hour or so) its like 1/2 a mile from one of my x gfs moms and 2 brothers houses. the place has tons of really old stuff but its packed so closley on the place that you cant get to a car to pull parts off without walking over 20 others. i havnt ben there for like 6 years but when i went by a year ago nothing had changed. of corse its run by a guy whose like70 and seemed to be a bit quirky, but very nice guy as i recall after ya get to chattin with him. let me walk around the place for several hours. never did buy anything but did alot of looking. its mostly rotted to heck from WI and the fact that its sitting in dirt, but prices seemed reasonable

You must be talking about Vans Auto Salvage. I haven't been in there for years.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Brock Samson

ya' know shakey, Commons' is walking distance from SFO,..
  is that one wagon wheeled thing a Bugatti?.. a type 57, or a clone?..
  the other tig that really caught my eye was the pink/burgandy velvet rear seat in the cramao i wonder if it'll fit in my parade float?...
  Hummm?..   :icon_smile_wink:

The Ghoul

Quote from: Shakey on February 13, 2006, 01:31:50 PM
my luckiest find, the proper disc brake master cylinder for my '69.  Correct casting # and the lines coming out on the engine side.  I even scored the metering valve and proportioning valve also.
you are one nutty dude..... I love it!!

I now know how an animal rights activist feels at a meat packing plant.. I just want to save them all , but i know that cerntant sacrifices need to be made for the greater good...

still hurts  :'(

Shakey

Quote from: Stratocharger on February 13, 2006, 09:56:25 PM
ya' know shakey, Commons' is walking distance from SFO,..
  is that one wagon wheeled thing a Bugatti?.. a type 57, or a clone?..
  the other tig that really caught my eye was the pink/burgandy velvet rear seat in the cramao i wonder if it'll fit in my parade float?...
  Hummm?..   :icon_smile_wink:

Not sure what that thing is.  I am sure that if you towed it outta there, bought a few cans of Pledge and some sandpaper, you might be able to fetch $40K USD at Barrett Jackson next January!

I'll check out Common's next time I am out that way.  Honestly, I don't think anything is "walking distance" from SFO.  And that goes for the parking garage and especially the rental car return garage.

You like the crushed velour rear seat huh!  Me too!  If I were wealthy enough to have all of my "serious" projects completed I would then have a couple of custom projects.  A "shaggin' wagon" van, decked out with a reel-to-reel, crushed velour interior, wall-to-wall shag carpet and a freaky paint job that only makes sense if you dropped a purple mini mite or a handful of mushrooms from the coast of BC!

PocketThunder

Quote from: chrisII on February 13, 2006, 09:04:38 PM

Where in WI?  i am from there.
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Dodge Don

Good stuff Mike. Thanks for the leads for the 70 Registry  :2thumbs:

ChargerHound69

Turners Auto Wrecking is a hugh yard.  You didn't even get to the thousands of complete cars that he has spread out around the area. 

He is kind of high on the price for everything I needed, but he has alot of stuff.

Shakey

Quote from: ChargerHound69 on February 15, 2006, 01:15:42 AM
Turners Auto Wrecking is a hugh yard.  You didn't even get to the thousands of complete cars that he has spread out around the area. 

He is kind of high on the price for everything I needed, but he has alot of stuff.

Well posts some pics man!

dodgeboy67

am i the only person who looks at these cars and says to myself,,wow ill bet this car has a story or two????????or  damn, wonder how that happened?

Charger_Fan

Quote from: dodgeboy67 on February 15, 2006, 06:01:55 PM
am i the only person who looks at these cars and says to myself,,wow ill bet this car has a story or two????????or  damn, wonder how that happened?
Nope, I do it all the time.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Shakey

Me too!

My Father used to own a 60 acre salvage yard about an hour East of Toronto.  Spent lots of time in the yard learning and exploring as I grew up.  I used to look at a car and think to myself, at one point this car was brand new and some guy / gal pulled into the driveway for the very first time just beaming with pride as the family and friends came out to see it. 

nh_mopar_fan

Nope. You are not alone. I do think that with almost every old car I see. There is a story on every one of them.

Nupe

Same here.  Wish those old warriors could tell the stories.

Am I the only one that likes that old car, musty smell.  Especially with the 50's and older stuff that used cloth with the interior?   ???

'79 Lil'Red Express.

ChargerHound69

I would like to post pictures, but he has them all fenced in.  >:(

dodgeboy67

Quote from: Nupe on February 15, 2006, 10:26:06 PM
Same here.  Wish those old warriors could tell the stories.

Am I the only one that likes that old car, musty smell.  Especially with the 50's and older stuff that used cloth with the interior?   ???

nope it is a good smell......but it appears that mopars have a smell of their own,,,,,,,,

MoparMotel

Just an update on this salvage yard- was there 2 weeks ago looking at a 67' 440 he was selling and he was telling me i guess last year they had a fire and burned down the main office. After that the owner was thinking about closing down the yard and crushed hundreds of classic cars. Went there and drove around and there are still some classics but most of them were crushed  :brickwall:
1968 Dodge Charger

mopar_man

What happened to all the Mopars that the late ron slobe had at R&R Salvage in Verona , Mo?

TheAutoArchaeologist

Quote from: mopar_man on October 28, 2012, 06:40:27 PM
What happened to all the Mopars that the late ron slobe had at R&R Salvage in Verona , Mo?

They had some big sales.  But whatever hulks remained that were worth anything.  Went to Mopar City in Oregon, IL.

Ryan

HOTROD

Some guy bought all the mopars lives in Arnold,Mo.  no bs and he is hording well he might not live there know !! I think he is on here !!
What the Hell-Dumass !

67tbird

hey Hotrod, are you talking about Clay and Sons out of Catawissa Mo? He helped me alot with parts and info for my 72, really nice guy who doesn't crush anything, he has about 40 acres of Mopar parts. He races as Maxattack.

TheAutoArchaeologist

Quote from: 67tbird on October 29, 2012, 01:22:42 AM
hey Hotrod, are you talking about Clay and Sons out of Catawissa Mo? He helped me alot with parts and info for my 72, really nice guy who doesn't crush anything, he has about 40 acres of Mopar parts. He races as Maxattack.

I think you're talking to me....lol....

Yeah I'm friend with clay and his family.  I have intentions to come down there this December when all the plants are dead.

67tbird

Plants, chiggers, n snakes, welcome to MO!!

JB400

Quote from: 67tbird on October 30, 2012, 10:26:42 PM
Plants, chiggers, n snakes, welcome to MO!!
Gotta love it :2thumbs: Moskeeters can go in there as well.

67tbird

If you haven't been to see Clay, worth the trip or call. Dave

HOTROD

No I am not talking about clay & son we know his son can`t think of his name right now !!
I have been allover the place and no a fue people ,we talk about the other junk yards ,and one yard is not to far from me Johns place he has some rare cars in there but stop-ed by there a bout a month a go and was a new cable across the road !
My neighbor worked for Mopar as a service tec. I got connections just not the money !!
What the Hell-Dumass !