News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How To PROPERLY Sell A Car On Ebay?

Started by Iron Chef, January 24, 2013, 05:50:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iron Chef

I could use some advice.  I'm considering selling one of my Mopars and putting it on Ebay is an option.  I know the mechanics of placing an ad, BUT...I have heard numerous horror stories about selling a vehicle on there.  I purchased this car on Ebay, and it was a very smooth transaction, but I'm an honest guy and fortunately so was the seller.

If you were going to sell your car on Ebay (or Hemmings, etc.), how would you go about doing it to protect yourself as best as possible.  (FYI - Selling only to the continental United States is a given...not dealing with anyone overseas).

Thanks in advance for your input.  :cheers:
Most of your life should be "off the record."

Orange Bird

It is quite easy and who cares if you ever see the buyer. You are holding all the cards - car and title. Nothing moves until you get $ in hand. Then you ship the title and the car (if need be) at your convenience. I would work with the buyer  as much as possible for transport (have him make arrangements) to make the transport company have easy access. I have sold a few over the years. I have met the buyer and allowed an inspection if desired. I have also sold a car with never seeing the buyer. I get a cert check and cash it. Then send the title. I would only take cert check in person if it has been arranged or go to the bank and receive a wire transfer. I have done the wire transfer thing but I only do it with a  new account. I make sure there is no link to my personal stuff. I only use this new account to receive the funds, cash out after getting it and then deposit it into my account for financials. As long as you hold the asset until cash is received it is really very easy. Any stories or rush to make a specific deadline before $ is received then I'd be wary.

Do walk around vehicle for any down the road stuff (scratches, ect) buyer may not be happy with otherwise it is shippers problem.

$ first is the only way.

Same applies to over sea stuff, wire transfer, have buyer make all arrangements you provide access to people HE tells you is the transportation co.
Monster Garage Montra - If you can't hear it before you see it, what's the point?

Leave the little people alone!

Paul G

Ebay can be a snake pit. I have not tried to sell on Ebay. My only experience to buy a car on Ebay was a disaster. The car was poorly described, I went to pick it up with trailer in tow, only to refuse the car after seeing rust through that was not described at all, it was a waste of time.

I would not hesitate to try to sell on Ebay, but I would keep my reserve high, hoping to fish out an honest real buyer after the auction ends.
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

Iron Chef

Thanks.  Yeah when I bought my cars. both parties waited for a wire transfer and then mailed title.  I suppose it is a leap of faith no matter what.

1974dodgecharger

Before ebay became a 'bot' (pre 2008) I sold on ebay alot and sold 5 cars on ebay all successful, but now the times are changing.

Homerr

DC, FBBO, Moparts and even CL all seem like decent alternatives in which you ask the price you want without fees.  If it doesn't sell after a couple of weeks then try ebay?

Another aspect of 'protecting yourself' is to keep the dreamers and riff-raff away by clearly describing the highs and lows of the car, work completed and work to be done.  A link to a photo album is great, as are video walk arounds of the car running and one with commentary.  This is a little fuzzy, but showing that you know your stuff sets the bar for any conversation a little higher, imho.

aussiemuscle

There's the suggestion going around now to have viewings of the car away from your home, so they don't know where to go to steal it.

Paul G

Quote from: aussiemuscle on January 26, 2013, 12:46:12 AM
There's the suggestion going around now to have viewings of the car away from your home, so they don't know where to go to steal it.

That is a real concern no matter how you try to sell anything these days. Having unknown's come to your home is not such a bad thing if you protect and prepare yourself. I always carry a weapon concealed when I am expecting a prospective buyer to the house. Concealed but not completely. They can see I am armed and know I am not an easy target. And, don't let them inside your home. Keep them outside, and in front of you. If they start to try to flank you step back, and keep them in front of you. If you feel threatened end it and ask them to leave. I have sold dozens of cars, trucks, bikes, parts, etc. and never had a problem.   

It is a shame to have to do these things. I came from, grew up in south Chicago, lots of low life degenerates around. Be smart and protect yourself.
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: Paul G on January 26, 2013, 10:28:49 AM
Quote from: aussiemuscle on January 26, 2013, 12:46:12 AM

That is a real concern no matter how you try to sell anything these days. Having unknown's come to your home is not such a bad thing if you protect and prepare yourself. I always carry a weapon concealed when I am expecting a prospective buyer to the house. Concealed but not completely. They can see I am armed and know I am not an easy target. And, don't let them inside your home. Keep them outside, and in front of you. If they start to try to flank you step back, and keep them in front of you. If you feel threatened end it and ask them to leave. I have sold dozens of cars, trucks, bikes, parts, etc. and never had a problem.  

It is a shame to have to do these things. I came from, grew up in south Chicago, lots of low life degenerates around. Be smart and protect yourself.

:iagree:

And, I'll add:

Display the car outside in the driveway.

If the weather sucks, wait for a better day.

Don't let them in your garage.

Keep the garage doors closed.

Too many people have "Inventory eyes"

You can see them scanning the inside of your garage or house taking mental notes of EVERTHING you own.

They came to look at a car to buy, not sniff out something to steal, or tell their drunken buddies about so they can steal it.

If they need to piss, I point to the row of pine trees out back.

If they need to shit, I give directions to the local Wal-Mart.  :Twocents:

triple_green

I've sold two cars on Ebay on buyer in Holland and one in Canada. Like is said above have them wire the money to your bank account. You do not send or release the signed off title until your bank guarantees that the funds are "cleared" in your account. I use a extra savings account that never has much money in it. Never use your primary checking account. Last time I used my wife's old business account and then after we got the money we closed the account.

If you have good Ebay feedback show that to the buyer as evidence that you are legit.

The responsibility is on the buyer to make all of the transportation arrangements and cost. State this clearly in the ad. Both times a transport Co has come right to my door to pick up the vehicle.

Also make sure you get the best pictures possible of the car. This is very important!! I also like to be up front about any flaws and if they ask for pictures of the flaws, or have them ready to send, or include in the ad.

Unfortunately it seems Ebay is not currently the best place to get top dollar for your car. But, it will get it out to thousands of people and some even will choose to follow up later. When I sold the Chally Vert I got 3000 views each week.

Good Luck!

Mark

68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

Iron Chef

Thanks for all the information.  I will be taking pictures of the car at another location and if someone wants to see the car, I will make an appointment to meet them away from my home at a public place.

Another question: Would you allow test drives?

Paul G

I go with on test drives, and I start out the drive.