News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Thank you EPA

Started by Mytur Binsdirti, January 09, 2013, 05:53:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mytur Binsdirti

Most here know this already, but it's finally made FOX news. I wonder if ABC, CBS & NBC will cover it?  ::)

http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/2000862202001/

ACUDANUT

I have a new truck and it's a flex fuel.  Never use that crap anyway. (E85 or E15)  I always use real gas.

lloyd3

I was an EPA contractor for over a dozen years, so this comes as no surprise. Elections have consequences, and this is only the beginning.

JB400

If I remember correctly, regular gas has almost 10% alcohol in it already.  Doesn't matter how much is in it, my car doesn't like it.  I have to step up and run 91 octane that doesn't have it.

maxwellwedge

Where I live the only way to get real gas with no ethanol in it is to buy cans of leaded racing fuel (C12) for $12.00 per gallon  :icon_smile_blackeye:

Nwcharger

when i started driving in denver colorado i found one gas station that sold leaded gas. the nozzle was big like the diesel pump and was painted bright yellow. it was .77 cents a gallon. i loved that gas and so did my car. that was in 1999. never seen leaded gas anywhere else.
1969 coronet wagon

Mike DC

Quotewhen i started driving in denver colorado i found one gas station that sold leaded gas. the nozzle was big like the diesel pump and was painted bright yellow. it was .77 cents a gallon. i loved that gas and so did my car. that was in 1999. never seen leaded gas anywhere else.

The research data is clear.  Gasoline's lead was getting into people and making us grow up stupider & more violent.  

Weekend motorsports is one thing but everyday usage is something else.  It was a good move to get the stuff out of the public's normal gasoline supply.

ACUDANUT

Around here, real Gas has 10 percent ethanol.

RECHRGD

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on January 09, 2013, 05:12:09 PM

Quotewhen i started driving in denver colorado i found one gas station that sold leaded gas. the nozzle was big like the diesel pump and was painted bright yellow. it was .77 cents a gallon. i loved that gas and so did my car. that was in 1999. never seen leaded gas anywhere else.

The research data is clear.  Gasoline's lead was getting into people and making us grow up stupider & more violent. 

Weekend motorsports is one thing but everyday usage is something else.  It was a good move to get the stuff out of the public's normal gasoline supply.

Finally an explanation as to why this generation of politicians are so stupid.  They all grew up around leaded gasoline fumes. 
13.53 @ 105.32

lloyd3

They act like they've been sniffing glue, not gasoline.

bull

Quote from: ACUDANUT on January 09, 2013, 09:39:33 PM

It's not real gas if it's 10% ethanol. Real gas is 0% ethanol and it's very hard to find where I live. Probably not real prevalent where you live too.

Between this and the coming gun bans I think 2013 will be a very interesting year. When a couple hundred thousand people learn they will have to replace entire fuel systems in their 2011 and older vehicles I would imagine there is going to be a very pissed off constituency.

areibel

My buddy's station sells it, it's about a quarter a gallon more than the 10% stuff but he sells a lot- all of the small engine repair places around here have a piston from a trashed chain saw, weed eater, etc. on their counter and tell you that if you run 10% ethanol this is what will happen!  And guess what- running your new toy on it means your warranty goes away. 
You can find other places here, a lot are marinas and airports but there are more and more stations adding it-
http://pure-gas.org/

JB400

General aviation is throwing a hissy fit over it.  I say, eventually, aviation fuel will be the only place to get it.  They do not like alcohol period.

hatersaurusrex

For the people who REALLY want 'pure gas', the ethanol can be separated provided you want to buy a tank and do it yourself after getting it home.   Alcohol is water soluble and... well just Google it if you are brave.  Granted your gas will automatically cost 10+ percent more per gallon, but it's doable if you're hardcore about it.

Small engines REALLY hate the stuff.   I had a brand new troy-bilt mower that took 10 pulls to start and choked and sputtered on the 10% stuff.   Bought some 'real gas' and it quit.  My motorcycle did the same thing even though it has an 8:1 motor that really should love the crap out of the 87 stuff, I had to run 91 or better to keep it from hesitating.

Ethanol gas is a product of King Corn, and should be banned.
[ŌŌ]ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ[ŌŌ] = 68
[ŌŌ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ŌŌ] = 69
(ŌŌ)[ƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗ](ŌŌ) = 70

Ghoste

I wonder if the general public would approve of this wonderful "good for the environment" stuff if they knew how much more it was costing them to subsidize agriculture to produce ethanol and the rising expenses of their groceries in order for the "food" division of agriculture to play?

1970Moparmann

Quote from: Ghoste on January 12, 2013, 08:42:31 AM
I wonder if the general public would approve of this wonderful "good for the environment" stuff if they knew how much more it was costing them to subsidize agriculture to produce ethanol and the rising expenses of their groceries in order for the "food" division of agriculture to play?

Amen. 

The "uneducated" will continue to stand by these idiots in office due to THINKING what they say is the bible.   As much as I love our country, I hope that the uneducated get a small glimpse of the stupidity they contain with the result of pocket book pain or a lifestyle altering change that was forced by the decision they did.
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

odcics2

Look into how much fresh water is needed to produce ethanol.

Boggles the mind.
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Ghoste

Yeah, we have a small one on the edge of town and there is an enormous water exchange unit on the side with a never ending steam plume coming off the place.

GPULLER

What a load of crap! We've had ethanol fuel here in MN since the early 90's?  Run it in everything from weed trimmers snowmobiles, old cars and tractors.  Everything in my yard runs just fine, no corroded fuel Ines or hoses.  End of the season the mower gets parked with no fuel stabilizer and guess what?  It starts every spring.

JB400

If that's the case,  I say what the deal is, your stuff has been broken in with ethanol.  Everyone elses' stuff was broken in on unleaded gasoline.  I think there is some chemical reaction going on, breaking down the fuel systems on vehicles and equipment that is used to running on straight gasoline.  Either way, I think a less drastic phase in would have been better than just dumping it onto the market.

Troy

Quote from: GPULLER on January 13, 2013, 10:34:52 PM
What a load of crap! We've had ethanol fuel here in MN since the early 90's?  Run it in everything from weed trimmers snowmobiles, old cars and tractors.  Everything in my yard runs just fine, no corroded fuel Ines or hoses.  End of the season the mower gets parked with no fuel stabilizer and guess what?  It starts every spring.
To clarify, there's a distinct difference between "normal" gas with ethanol, E85, and E15. I guarantee you haven't been running E85 and E15 that long because they didn't exist.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

GPULLER

Quote from: Troy on January 14, 2013, 12:01:57 AM
To clarify, there's a distinct difference between "normal" gas with ethanol, E85, and E15. I guarantee you haven't been running E85 and E15 that long because they didn't exist.

Troy

We had neighbors that had separate tanks, one for straight ethanol and another tank for regular gas in the 80's.  They'd buy 300 gal ethanol from the Co-op, and mix their own fuel at home.  They had a '76 Power Wagon with a 440 that ran on 50/50 its whole life. It got ran in their dirt bikes and snowmbiles.  We'd get ethanol from them and run our tractors on 100% ethanol.  So yeah its been around for a while.

Troy

Quote from: GPULLER on January 14, 2013, 09:58:08 AM
Quote from: Troy on January 14, 2013, 12:01:57 AM

Troy

We had neighbors that had separate tanks, one for straight ethanol and another tank for regular gas in the 80's.  They'd buy 300 gal ethanol from the Co-op, and mix their own fuel at home.  They had a '76 Power Wagon with a 440 that ran on 50/50 its whole life. It got ran in their dirt bikes and snowmbiles.  We'd get ethanol from them and run our tractors on 100% ethanol.  So yeah its been around for a while.
When you wrote "We've had ethanol fuel here in MN since the early 90's" I assumed you meant at the gas stations. The E15 and E85 formulations are relatively new but ethanol itself has been around for a long time. It has not generally been in readily available places where people can accidentally put it into their cars.

Considering the amount of reprogramming that the EFI computers have to do just to make it run I'm wondering what you had to do to the carbureted engines to make them livable?

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

GPULLER

We did only have E10 at the pumps in the 90's that is true, but the bad rap that ethanol blended fuels get is ridiculous.  The rubber hose on my Charger fuel system that some have been on since the 90's haven't melted off. It starts every spring, the carb hasn't rusted to pieces.  If it was Methanol then that would be a different story, that will rust things up rather quickly.
That viedo link that was posted talks about fuel separation with E15.  E10 & E85 wont but E15 will?  I really doubt that switching from E10 to E15 will have much of an effect on a vehicles performance.  E85 that is available at the pump isnt true 85%, it's plus or minus for sure.  So how close is E10 to E15 already?
My neighbors didn't do anything to different to their vehicles, just mixed and go.  Our old tractors we did turn out the load needles to richen them up when we ran 100%.

aussiemuscle

Quote from: ACUDANUT on January 09, 2013, 09:39:33 PM
same in Australia (although it's not advertised as such). it's also got about 45-49% benzine. Sale of leaded fuel is illegal (leaded cars must use unleaded and an additive). I use 95RON in my car.