News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

V code six pack car.

Started by spoolinhard, January 08, 2013, 10:50:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spoolinhard

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

ACUDANUT

without the engine or trans it will never be a matching numbers car. Equals...half the price.

greenpigs

Seems like this car was posted about a few weeks ago and is now getting new quarter panels if I remember right.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: greenpigs on January 09, 2013, 12:13:52 AM
Seems like this car was posted about a few weeks ago and is now getting new quarter panels if I remember right.

this car has been posted for 6 months now.  Someone claimed they bought it here on the forum? 

hatersaurusrex

Without the numbers matching drivetrain you're just paying extra because there's a piece of metal in the car with the letter 'V' on it
[ŌŌ]ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ[ŌŌ] = 68
[ŌŌ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ŌŌ] = 69
(ŌŌ)[ƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗ](ŌŌ) = 70

greenpigs

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on January 09, 2013, 01:42:03 AM
Quote from: greenpigs on January 09, 2013, 12:13:52 AM

this car has been posted for 6 months now.  Someone claimed they bought it here on the forum? 

No, but someone posted that it was sold and had a picture of what looked like that Charger with a quarter panel cut off.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

hemi68charger

Quote from: hatersaurusrex on January 09, 2013, 02:43:41 AM
Without the numbers matching drivetrain you're just paying extra because there's a piece of metal in the car with the letter 'V' on it

I would have to disagree wholeheartedly... There has been way too much emphasis placed on the original block being with a car ( all thanks to the Corvette crowd ). With the quoted philosophy, my Daytona's nothing more than a 318 Charger with one of those NASCAR wings on it.....
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Homerr

By this logic 'you're just paying extra because there's a piece of metal in the car with the letters of the VIN on it' for a numbers matching car.

Shit happens to motors and if someone does a restoration taking the time to find a proper dated block and build it correctly then I think it's worth more than standard R/T pricing.

charge69

Homerr, think about what you said! You would pay more for a proper date-coded block in a Charger than you would for a numbers-matching car?  Numbers-matching cars may be hard to find and proper date coded replacement blocks may be even rarer but the certainly do not make the car more expensive than a numbers-matching car.

A date-coded correct motor is great and shows the veracity of the restorer to restore a car "right". It probably is worth more than just any replacement motor being put in the car, even if it is built right but not date-correct, but still not up to numbers-matching in my eyes. Maybe it is just me but, I was a buyer at one time and,as a buyer, I put a premium on my car having the numbers-matching engine. It doesn't have to be a larger premium. It could even be just a "me knowing it has the factory-original" motor and almost no monetary premium but, a premium is there to me. I appreciate nice Charger restorations of any kind, numbers-matching or not, as I know how much it takes to do one. A lot more work and money than anyone plans!

The70RT

A non numbers matching RT is worth more than a numbers matching 318 car. I bet 75% or more no longer have the original engine anyway.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Homerr

I see the confusion, by 'standard R/T' I meant a non-matching but otherwise similar 440/4bbl car.  My mistake.

Seems like there have been a few R/T's in the last 6-8 months that have been without engine/trans & needing full resto that have gone in the $7,500-11,000 range.  A couple grand for a V-coded car seems like a reasonable opening bid by the owner to make a sale.

69 OUR/TEA

A friend inquired about the car a few eeks back when it was on ebay,seller ended it early and sold it outright.My friend talked to the new owner of it and was told it already is on a rotiss with the quarter cut off.This is what I'm told.

Now matching numbers thing,hands down is what all of us would want,and def means more if the car retains it's matching #'s,but once it's gone,IT'S GONE !!!! Bar none!!! To me,no matter what you put in there,it is NOT what it was born with,period!!I know the heavy purists out there feel better about getting a date coded block to be as close to the build as possible,and maybe I'm allittle different thinking this way,but again,if it's NOT matching numbers,date coded block means nothing to me.
Obviuosly a Hemi car owner HAS to get another Hemi to put in there,and the T/A crowd searches out and gets a T/A block,but as far as 440 4bbl Chargers,Coronet R/T's,to me,does'nt matter whats in there now.My 3x9 R/T SE is not matching numbers,it's a 71 block in there,it is what it is !!NTM,will never sell the car anyway!!!!
Can't recall any of the car shows/cruise nights I've attended and have anyone even ask if it were numbers matching? :shruggy:

F8-4life

41husk

I am from the group that does not put much stock in matching #s
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

charger_fan_4ever

Quote from: 41husk on January 09, 2013, 12:57:55 PM

I think this group is growing more and more. Used to be you'd be spit on if it wasnt the #'s motor.

Who cares its an added bonus if it is the original block, but no biggie for me.

charge69

I have never asked if the car I was looking at was a numbers-matching car. It doesn't really matter that much to me either but I am glad mine is. What people do to bring a car back to life, numbers-matching or not, factory-correct restoration or not, really is the point of a car show to me.

Some people put wayyyyyy too much emphasis on "factory correct" and do not appreciate the time and effort a person puts into their restoration of one of their favorite models. Whatever it is, someone usually put a lot of personal time, effort, and money into their car! Just do not try to represent it as something it is not!

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: hemi68charger on January 09, 2013, 09:26:26 AM

I would have to disagree wholeheartedly... There has been way too much emphasis placed on the original block being with a car ( all thanks to the Corvette crowd ). With the quoted philosophy, my Daytona's nothing more than a 318 Charger with one of those NASCAR wings on it.....

Some here would also think that you should take all that Nascar junk off of it & turn it into a Dukes clone, after all, it is orange.  :smilielol:

But then again, is it the right shade of orange?    :shruggy:

41husk

I have asked about #s matching when trying to purchase a car but only trying to get a better price.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

tan top

what was the story with , the corvette mob , matching numbers , ?  wernt it because the vin did not contain any referance to what motor was factory fitted ?? :scratchchin: :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

paironines

So is this most likely factory primer for black cars?

charger_fan_4ever

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: Homerr on January 09, 2013, 09:39:09 AM

By this logic 'you're just paying extra because there's a piece of metal in the car with the letters of the VIN on it' for a numbers matching car.

Shit happens to motors and if someone does a restoration taking the time to find a proper dated block and build it correctly then I think it's worth more than standard R/T pricing.

then seller should discount due to future buyer 'working' to find the dated block...hey just saying  :smilielol:

TiMopar

Quote from: charger_fan_4ever on January 09, 2013, 01:10:54 PM
Quote from: 41husk on January 09, 2013, 12:57:55 PM

I think this group is growing more and more. Used to be you'd be spit on if it wasnt the #'s motor.

Who cares its an added bonus if it is the original block, but no biggie for me.

Depends how far back you go. Prior to the late 80's, when the Chevy dealers worked out they could make money out of Mopars, nobody cared. Come to think of it, not many of us could have known anyway.