News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Fuel Pump Push Rod Failure

Started by RIDGERACER383, January 07, 2013, 05:44:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RIDGERACER383

I just put a brand new fuel pump in my car yesterday and today tried to fire it up and it's still doing the same thing.No fuel.My engine hasn't been run alot on the rebuild and got gas fine 2 summers ago.I can't see how the fuel pump push rod would wear out that fast when it pumped fuel to the carb before.Now I have to tear it back off and check the pushrod.I just hope the top isn't mushroomed.
1968 Dodge Charger 383 4bbl / 8.75 Rear 3.55

randy73

Did you put a test line straight from fuel pump to a gas can or something?
If gas sits long enough, it will dry out and clog the fuel line.

Back N Black

The push rod should be 3.25 inches.

Dmichels

hole in gas line? did you get the tip of the fuel pump under the rod? lines hooked up wrong?
Just some ideas
68 440 4 speed 4.10

RIDGERACER383

Everything is right on it and no leaks.Fuel pump is installed right.I was just thinking that maybe the fuel pump push rod is the original one and could be worn I guess.I do have a hydraulic comp cam in it.Not sure if that wore the rod out.I read on here about using a rod with a brass tip.Not sure if I need that.Advance Auto has a Comp Cams fuel pump push rod that might be better quality plus same brand as my cam.Not sure if it's a brass tip push rod or not.I guess I'll find out tomorrow if my rod is worn when I tear back apart.What size hex is the plug to remove the push rod?

Cooter

Make sure your fuel tank is vented. [Can get air].
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Dmichels

I would go back and look at the problem. Did it just sudenly stop? I remember you put a retofit fuel filter on your pick up Pull the inlet on and see if you get gas. Somtimes these problems are easy to fix. Something would seriously need to go wrong to blow the pump rod or the cam, there is not alot of load on that part/
Dave
68 440 4 speed 4.10

RIDGERACER383

Just before I replace the pump I pulled the line and my dad had me turn it over and it shot out fuel.Dad held his finger over the hole and and it wouldn't even push the fuel past his finger.So the fuel is coming from the tank fine.