News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

3rd gen Chargers going up in value?

Started by Silver R/T, January 06, 2013, 11:44:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

polywideblock

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

JB400

Seen a 3rd gen on a trailer on my way home tonight.  Obviously, they're starting to become more appreciated.  It was either a 73 or 74 dunno which.

Cooter

My brother hadda '71 R/T. No engine/trans when he got and there was a 3.91 chunk in the trunk. "Rebuilt" an old 361 and dumped it in it with an old NON rebuilt 727 outta a 1974 Dodge Monaco. Car ran, but hadda knock. I soon figured out that my brother used parts from four different engines to "Rebuild" that engine.
Yep, used cam and all. Anyway, he sold it around 1998, and I think the '71-'72 were bout the best looking of the 3rd Gens.

I just gotta lead ona '74 Factory BB car too. I think MY bro's old car might be still around too.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

ACUDANUT

"I think the '71-'72 were bout the best looking of the 3rd Gens. "

Same here

Chargerguy74

Yeah, the 72 Rallye would be my personal favorite
WANTED: NOS or excellent condition 72-74 4 speed shifter boot for bench or centre armrest car, part number 3467755. It's a rubber boot that looks like it's sewn up leather.

WANTED: My original 440 blocks. Serial # 2A188182 and 3A100002

elanmars

I like the 73-74 bodies better, but I like the 71-72 tail-lights and hideaways better...

so yeah, if I get my hands on another 3rd gen, those are some the things I'd have done to it...
1969 Dodge Charger, pseudo General Lee., 1973 ratty Dodge Charger.

check out my photography: http://www.tomasraul.com
instagram: tomasraul
facebook: www.facebook.com/tomasraulphotography

Nacho-RT74

to me

Quote from: elanmars on January 11, 2013, 02:15:17 PM
I like the 73-74 bodies better,
:iagree:

I can live with the discontinued body lines, however I like better the 73/74 sharper upper body line than 71/72s ( at least to me that one looks more sharp on 73/74 ), but I can't live with the small quarter window opening

but I like the 71-72 tail-lights and hideaways better...

no on tail lights, yes on hideaways somehow, but just 71s

THEEEN WE CAN TALK ABOUT PERFORMANCE OPTIONS AND BLAH BLAH BLAH... I talk just on look, because I already added earlier perfromance on my stroked engine. Is something can be added anytime with just a correct engine build or engine change.

:horse:
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

71green go

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on January 11, 2013, 04:58:28 PM
to me

I can live with the discontinued body lines, however I like better the 73/74 sharper upper body line than 71/72s ( at least to me that one looks more sharp on 73/74 ), but I can't live with the small quarter window opening

THEEEN WE CAN TALK ABOUT PERFORMANCE OPTIONS AND BLAH BLAH BLAH... I talk just on look, because I already added earlier perfromance on my stroked engine. Is something can be added anytime with just a correct engine build or engine change.

The debate will always go on as to which body style is preferred....and you are always welcome to be wrong  :smilielol: :smilielol:

69 OUR/TEA

What about 73,74 RR's and RR GTX's ???? Do they fall into the same category???

polywideblock

Quote from: 69 OUR/TEA on January 11, 2013, 09:48:58 PM
71-72's do

69 OUR/TEA

I meant ,is there no love for the 73,74's ?

ralley72

Quote from: 69 OUR/TEA on January 11, 2013, 09:48:58 PM
Yes unfortunately, but these are great cars. I do think some folks are starting to appreciate them. I'm rebuilding one now.

Mike
1973 Roadrunner 400 mag. 4 sp

polywideblock

quit like 73-74 roadrunners  "daisy's car" :2thumbs: but a few people I've talked to don't like the quarter window treatment on 73-74 chargers

ACUDANUT

I'm one of those 71/72 Chargers ended the legacy there..Same for Road chickens.

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: ACUDANUT on January 12, 2013, 10:16:33 AM
I'm one of those 71/72 Chargers ended the legacy there..Same for Road chickens.

but 71/72 RRs/GTXs use the same 73/74 quarter glass shape ;)

:smilielol:
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: 71green go on January 11, 2013, 08:44:00 PM
Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on January 11, 2013, 04:58:28 PM
to me

The debate will always go on as to which body style is preferred....and you are always welcome to be wrong  :smilielol: :smilielol:

:smilielol:

JB400

Part of the reason the 71/72 cars are more popular is because of smog rules.  In some states, cars after a certain year still have to maintain factory smog equipment.  Pain in the rear when the gov. sticks a probe up it.

73rallye

Seriously, this thread is getting almost as sickening as another DOH discussion. I like all Chargers, PERIOD. I just happen to have 73's. I joined to share the love, get pointers, offer help where I can, not get into a I like mine better than yours waste of time. I maybe new her but this is getting real old, real fast. Can we not just get along???

polywideblock

Quote from: 73rallye on January 12, 2013, 12:49:56 PM
Seriously, this thread is getting almost as sickening as another DOH discussion. I like all Chargers, PERIOD. I just happen to have 73's. I joined to share the love, get pointers, offer help where I can, not get into a I like mine better than yours waste of time. I maybe new her but this is getting real old, real fast. Can we not just get along???
I'd have to agree I've got a 71 but like all chargers  hell i love  ALL MOPARS I've got a71 RR as well as a 1960 dodge phoenix (you should read what people say about it) has been called the fugliest car made!  not in my opinion that's the 61 but that's just it, everyone is entitled to their opinion (likes /dislikes)  that's what makes us human  " viva lee difference" as they say.  :2thumbs:                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          as to the quarter windows i was talking about those weird "opera" windows that some 73-74 chargers have   :icon_smile_big:                                             

brigond

I like them all myself . When I was looking for a 3rd gen I would have taken any year that was the better car but I aimed at the 71 only for potential resale value. To me it doesn't make sense that there is a value difference from 71 to 74.  This is what the books say ,so I may as well go for the 71. I think in the near future  when these cars become even more scarce and sought after ,the playing field will start to level off. The premise will be to just get your hands on one .
Mopars are like the Hot Wheel/Matchbox cars from when I was a kid ...  Bad A@@ and Cool!!!

My other hobby is practicing the ancient art of CLICK! POW!

71green go

I think this thread is going along quite calmly.....no one is bashing the other years its simply preference, like the DOH threads I choose to read what I want to read and skip the threads that bug me  ;)
Everyone is entitled to an opinion, as long as it isnt directed towards a person...The cars are just cars, they have no feelings

JB400

Quote from: 71green go on January 12, 2013, 05:32:07 PM

I think this thread is going along quite calmly.....no one is bashing the other years its simply preference, like the DOH threads I choose to read what I want to read and skip the threads that bug me  ;)
Everyone is entitled to an opinion, as long as it isnt directed towards a person...The cars are just cars, they have no feelings
I agree.  This thread is pretty docile.  If it was getting ugly, we'd be up to 5 or 6 pages already. :lol:

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: brigond on January 12, 2013, 05:12:52 PM
I like them all myself . When I was looking for a 3rd gen I would have taken any year that was the better car but I aimed at the 71 only for potential resale value. To me it doesn't make sense that there is a value difference from 71 to 74.  This is what the books say ,so I may as well go for the 71. I think in the near future  when these cars become even more scarce and sought after ,the playing field will start to level off. The premise will be to just get your hands on one .

just because the real performance years

Paul G

Since we have taken this thread to "what do you like better", my personal preference really is for the 73/74 body lines. I think they just look cool. So back when I had the 73, this guy comes up next to me at a stop light and tells me the car looks sexy.  :scratchchin: Now I never considered my 73 to be sexy. But I did love the car.

I bought a 72 this time just to get the flip up head lights. Some say 72 was the last of the muscle car years. Even some shows limit the models to 72 and prior only. The flip up headlights for 71 and 72 just make the car. But the louvered rear quarter windows of 73 and 74 SE look great as well. 
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

Hard Charger

3rd gen have been overlooked. they never stared in a TV show.

for a while people have been buying them as entry level cars because they were reasonable and available.

they were looked at more as luxury cars and not hot rods for a long time. the Mopar craze passed them by.

we all gravitated to the second gen cars and then started to appreciate the more sophisticated looking 3rd gen.

i have been watching the 3rd gen for years looking for a reasonable one to pickup. i still don;t have one in my garage.