News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Late '68 cars with '69 parts

Started by Mytur Binsdirti, January 06, 2013, 07:24:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mytur Binsdirti

Three things I've noticed on my car (build date 6/12).....

It has the flip down ash tray, square floor vent handles, and on the door panels, the square chrome buttons are not on the top coners of the map pockets.

Does anyone else's late '68 suffer the same fate?

boys3rt

Mine was built in 68 with 69 parts also. I almost forgot it's a 69. Sorry Mr. Turbine or whatever name you go by this week

69 OUR/TEA

I can answer to one,my car,Oct 2nd 69,had no chrome square buttons on the map pockets,and what I took off were the orig door panels.

jaak

:scratchchin: Interesting, my early built 69 (8-9-68) was the opposite....when I tore it down a few years back (an nothing major had been done to it, other than a color change), it had '68 black door handle buttons, and '68 chrome console shifter knob. When I put it together, I changed it over to chrome buttons and a woodgrain shifter knob.

Jason

skip68

That's common on later model years with some stuff or early year models.    
My 68 was one of the early cars built in 67 and my steering wheel was a 65-67 wheel if I remember correctly.   I had pictures of it on here years ago and guys arguing it was from 67 and older and wasn't from a Charger.  Came to find out that some of the early 68's did come with the one type of wheel from 67....    :yesnod:
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

JB400

Quote from: jaak on January 06, 2013, 09:22:04 PM
:scratchchin: Interesting, my early built 69 (8-9-68) was the opposite....when I tore it down a few years back (an nothing major had been done to it, other than a color change), it had '68 black door handle buttons, and '68 chrome console shifter knob. When I put it together, I changed it over to chrome buttons and a woodgrain shifter knob.

Jason
Mine's like yours was. I have the 68 door buttons and no map pocket corners as well.  I'll probably leave them that away.  Mine does have the woodgrain shifter though.  That will get replaced with a pistol grip

69 OUR/TEA

Mine does'nt have a chrome or woodgrain shifter !!!!!It's black.

Ryan

Jason

My 69 was similar. It had the 68 ash tray, black door handle buttons ect...
69 charger r/t Triple Black
   572 HEMI, Passion 5 speed, 4.10 Dana under construction

2014 viper TA

jessejames

Jason
When did the factory start building the new model year? I've heard several different stories. Some say by august u would see the new model year at dealerships. Then I heard it was October. Just curious... I have a late production number car.

tan top

Jason

thats common for 68 built  early 69 cars to have black door handle buttons  , mine november 22nd 68  , had/ has black buttons &  wood grain shift knob ,

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

stripedelete

Quote from: jessejames on January 07, 2013, 12:46:54 AM

Jason
When did the factory start building the new model year? I've heard several different stories. Some say by august u would see the new model year at dealerships. Then I heard it was October. Just curious... I have a late production number car.

All of those dates are probably correct, depending on your perspective.  In the Ford plants near where I grew up the two week "change over" break was late July.  New model production started in August.

In those days dealers and the manufacturers made a big production out of the new model year.  Many dealers hid the new models until later in September for "unveiling" events.   Remember, on-the-whole,  dealers were smaller (albeit more numerous) and could find an out of the way spot to park 10-50 cars for 2 or 3 weeks.  So, to the general public new production was mid to late September.             

(It also helped them clean out the old inventory.)    

maxwellwedge

OP's car is a '68 model year car.

Very common for late cars to have parts from the next model year vehicles.

Also common for early cars to have left-over parts from the previous model year as well.

Got a few 69's with black door handle knobs for example.

Use up those parts Vern!  :lol:

Dino

My June built 69 has the chrome shifter knob...but I doubt it's original, it should be the woodgrain ball.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

stripedelete

I've got a 69 with a chrome knob too.  Pretty sure it's original.  Don't know the production date on that car. 

Blusmbl

Which assembly plants were your cars built at?  I had a 5/24 built '68 at Hamtramck with most of the normal pieces, but I don't remember the map pocket buttons.
Caintmakit Racing: Craptastic!
-66 BondoVille Roadster
-05 QC Hemi Ram
-looking for another '68-'69 Charger

skip68

Just like some 68's don't have shoulder belts.   
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Dans 68

Do you mean the shoulder fastener location nuts above the door, Chuck?

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: 69 OUR/TEA on January 06, 2013, 09:52:21 PM
Mine does'nt have a chrome or woodgrain shifter !!!!!It's black.

Column shifter  ;)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

skip68

Yes sir Dan.   Mine didn't come with it.  I think that all cars were required by federal law after Feb 1969.   That's what I was told.    :shruggy:

lloyd3

My car has an SPD of 7/5/68 and, yes, all of those 1969 model-year items (ash try, etc.) you describe seem to be present (mind you, it has been awhile since I've seen it). It had the chrome door buttons as well when I got it, but I assumed that the handles (and buttons) had been replaced at some time by a previous owner keeping it "fresh". When I had the doors and trunk re-keyed I had the black buttons put in as well.  From reading this, perhaps I was making an unecessary change?

Mytur Binsdirti

I forgot to mention that my car does have black buttons.

maxwellwedge

Quote from: Dino on January 07, 2013, 03:51:13 PM
My June built 69 has the chrome shifter knob...but I doubt it's original, it should be the woodgrain ball.

It's probably original.....Lot's of Daytona's (which were considered late) have the chrome shifter knob.

maxwellwedge

Quote from: lloyd3 on January 08, 2013, 12:27:51 AM
My car has an SPD of 7/5/68 and, yes, all of those 1969 model-year items (ash try, etc.) you describe seem to be present (mind you, it has been awhile since I've seen it). It had the chrome door buttons as well when I got it, but I assumed that the handles (and buttons) had been replaced at some time by a previous owner keeping it "fresh". When I had the doors and trunk re-keyed I had the black buttons put in as well.  From reading this, perhaps I was making an unecessary change?

Nope - you done good - your car would have had the black door handle buttons from the factory.

XS29J8

Dirty Turbin my 5/28/68 built 4spd HEMI has all this and no fan clutch as well purchased from  original owner. Low miles.....
;
HEMI 68 CHARGER R/T- 4-SPEED- 3.54 DANA- PP1 RED- BLACK VINYL TOP- PEARL WHITE UPHOLSTERY-STRIPE DELETE- AM 8 TRACK- NON CONSOLE- DRIVEN YEAR ROUND IN SOUTHWEST FLORIDA http://900z1.multiply.com/  http://kawasaki-z-classik.com/index.php  https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AmY22PaMZ1H3dFczVWR2ZlJaX1BvTDFIVUdUZVlseWc&hl=en&authkey=CPi1hp8J#gid=0

triple_green

my 5/20/68 build date has all of this. What are the black door buttions you are discussing. Mine has the chrome door lock stems.

the should belts were a federal mandate as of Jan 1, 1968.

My car also is painted a 69 color 66-1, which was F8 in 69. (spring introduction color).

Aren't the woodgrain steering wheel and deep dish wheel covers late 68 and 69 options as well?

3X
68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

Mytur Binsdirti

The outside door handles on the doors; they came with either black or chrome buttons.

triple_green

68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)