News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My new car (again)

Started by G-man, January 06, 2013, 05:02:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

41husk

1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

G-man

Dont know Troy,
all the 69 fastback 'sports-roof' models were 22-25,000 in good condition, getting a mach 1 for that little extra (2-3k) made sense. I wanted a normal sports-roof but this was found for near same ammount with most things in it I would have spent on sports-roof. So in long run, this ended up cheaper and more valuable.

Troy

Not trying to beat you up here. I love the car! I think you did ok on it but I'm wondering why you'd spend that extra $2-3k (originally I thought $10-12k) for something that doesn't meet your end goal? The Mach 1 is only going to go up in value if you make it more stock. I think you paid for parts that aren't doing you any good and will be replaced during your conversion to a pro-tourer. I did a quick Google search and found several cars for sale or recently sold that are in nicer condition and better for modifying. Most in the $22-25k range had new paint and/or new motors. I also saw several completed (semi) pro-touring Mustangs within the $25-35k range. Most had stroker motors, big brakes, bigger wheels. With your history of crummy shop experiences I think I would have gone for the ready-to-drive version and not even attempted to build something.

While I'm hesitant to modify a "rare" car, there are lots of modified Mach 1s and yours isn't super rare to start with.

Perhaps I don't understand your end goal? :shruggy:

One thing to note as well: yes, Mustang parts can be cheap - but most of them are cheap (as in "so crappy you don't want them on your car"). Luckily there are higher quality parts for just a little more and a good supply of NOS parts still floating around. The after market modified/race parts are generally good and motors/transmissions/rear ends are common with well known "recipes" for power. Luckily, Ford built lots of 351Cs in Australia so you should be able to find some competent people there to help you with any drive train issues. I don't know about the rest of the stuff you'll need.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Darkman

Quote from: Troy on January 08, 2013, 06:11:07 PM
Luckily, Ford built lots of 351Cs in Australia so you should be able to find some competent people there to help you with any drive train issues.

Actually the 351 Cleveland in Aus is the only 351 to have. I never did understand why but a lot of people turned their nose up at the Windsor :shruggy:
Make it idiot proof, and somebody will make a better idiot!

If you think Education is difficult, try being stupid!

G-man

Troy, to me the 3k extra got me something a little special. If it does sell because someone offers me something decent for it here, I can send myself another 69 down. My pro-touring build will take place after college, 3 years from now. So in meantime, I will at least have a very fun car to drive until then rather than a 302 yada yada yada.

Laxy

So is this one getting converted into an F1 car?  :icon_smile_big:  :smilielol:
71 Valiant VH Hardtop 265 Hemi 4-speed, 71 VH Valiant Charger R/T Replica 360 4-speed, 68 Dodge Charger 440/727.

472 R/T SE

If I were to ever sway from Mopar, it'd be for something that or Ford in general.

If you were the type that liked the original, stock look you'd have mates' giving you shit for this or that not being correct.
I get a little grief for what I've done & plan to do to my #'s matching car.  TFB.
Best part about modifying is there's no set way that you're suppose to proceed.

Pro touring is rather limited on this forum.

G-man

Quote from: Laxy on January 09, 2013, 01:33:11 AM
So is this one getting converted into an F1 car?  :icon_smile_big:  :smilielol:

I want a Wing drag racer handling like an F1. Hows that? Now that I think about it, might have to start with the questions.  :slap:

I understand R/T SE.

This mach 1 is missing its original Engine anyway, so swaying away from Original wont matter TOO much. The people with 'this is wrong thats wrong', usually are unhappy people in general and always have something to complain about. That's in 1 ear and out the other with those. Just feel sorry for them being stuck in a box and not seeing they are stuck.

What do you have on the plans for yours?

JB400

So, how much of the original Mach 1 are you planning on keeping, appearance wise?  I know you mentioned you wanted the wood dash, just wandering if you're going to keep the interior stock appearing or step up with aftermarket goodies?  What about exterior mods later on? 

G-man

Well it kinda goes like this for me.

I want a serious Pro-Touring car. To me that means a 500ci motor, 650hp, all the components (coil overs, 4 link rear, 17x12 rears and 17x9s or 10s front, 5 or 6 speed manual, etc), Black Paint job on exterior, Custom Dash that I have thought of in regards to the gauges themselves, custom cotton interior with little Mustang badges on the head rests etc.

What with the Mach 1?

Well in short without all the detail as my explanations tend to get very repetative

1- Drive Mach 1 and save up money until I have what I need financially to build a ground up pro-touring car.

Once I have that money...

2- sell the Mach 1 off (hopefully more $ than I paid) and buy a sports-roof car for less $ and do a ground-up build with the money already saved.

So why the Mach 1 right now?

It has the looks I want (chin spoiler, stripes etc) of a pro-touring car, it has the Cleveland motor I wanted in small blocks (I prefer big block but a big block car would have cost more $ than I wanted to spend right now). Like this I got a great car that's going to be fun and have the things I wanted on the 'cheaper' side, thus the car will be fun to drive while I save my money to go pro-touring. If I got a 302 car, I would be stuck with that wishing it was more, wishing it had the lines, wishing it had the chin spoiler, wishing it had the torque thrust wheels this car has in 17" which this car has and all those things which it doesn't and then it just wouldn't be as enjoyable driving. Trying to save a lot of $ to go pro-touring while driving something that really isn't what you wanted, can kill the interest.

So this car just came with all the stuff I would 'rather' have than what I would have had on a normal sports-roof, from wheels-interior-drivetrain until I had the $ to go pro-touring.

Cooter

Don't know bout original prices, but there's a "kit" out now to turn a "nothchback/Truck/coupe" into a "Sportsroof/fastback" Mustang. It ain't cheap thouigh a around $7500 for the entire kit, and takes ALOT fo cutting to convert. Even the windshield rake is different on the fastback.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

70 Charger RT

I love the car.  After my 70 Charger and a 68 GTX, a 68/69 Mousetang would be my choice.
70 Charger R/T - 440/6
07 BMW 328iS
04 GMC SLE 2500 Diesel

Darkman

Forgive me George, but following your thoughts gets me dizzy.

I thought you bought this car as it already has most of the stuff on it you wanted for a pro touring build. No numbers matching engine so you can put in whatever engine you wanted (may I suggest a hemi  :icon_smile_big: ). Now you are talking about saving for a full on protourer build then sell off this one when you have the money and use the money saved to buy and build a full on pro tourer?? Can yu see why I'm confused  :shruggy:

G-man

Be happy that you are not the one in my head  :smilielol:

Darkman

41husk

George your lucky if your wife lets you do all this.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

G-man

Thanks Allen,

I am, very.  ;D

How is your daytona going?