News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

well Almost...

Started by 1974dodgecharger, January 06, 2013, 04:06:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1974dodgecharger

I know I have gotten some 'flack' from some forum members and nasty emails saying what im asking for is NOT OUT THERE IN MY PRICE RANGE!!!  Considering the fact they want me to buy their car with rust galore, hardly running, etc...I was going to have a forum member look at this and buy this considering it was perfect in my eyes, 4 speed, 440, black, and exactly what im asking for.

So for others out there YES your car you want is out there just need to be patient and dont let other folks discourage you.  YOu will soon realize why they do discourage you, eventually.

It was sold to someone else:

http://boise.craigslist.org/cto/3428238095.html

hatersaurusrex

In my short time here I've figured out that this site is full of a few kind of people, most of which I'm probably going to alienate and make hate me right now by saying this:

1. Cool and very helpful people who love Mopars and don't judge and are just happy to be here (thanks guys!)
2. Sellers who want to tell you you're an idiot and you should buy x car/part from them because you're an even bigger idiot if you don't, and everyone else is going to rip you off - even though they're selling it for 3x what you can get it for if you're willing to wait and sift through the cruft
3. Non-realists who want to beat down anyone who didn't buy their car in 1982 for 400 dollars and sit on it, then finally fix it up by spending 10,000 hours searching at swap meets for parts that cost pennies on the dollar so they can say "Well hell I have a Hemi Superbird survivor car that I traded for a pack of smokes and a playboy, I don't know why you don't just dangle 42 dollars CASHHHHHH in that guy's face and see what he says'  These people drive their rare-ass cars .05 miles per year and their neighbors hate the fact that they never shut up.
4. Haters who (one way or another)have enough money in their middle age that they can afford a 75K+ car, but every time someone with less means posts that they are looking at something in the 5-15K range with some rust, they chime in with "What a roach!  OMG gutter trash!  I can't believe anyone would want that non-original POS!  Obviously if you can't afford a car like mine, you're an idiot!" These people also drive their rare-ass cars .05 miles per year and their neighbors hate the fact that they never shut up.
5. Mopar Historians/Bean Counters/GGovier clones:  "I like your car but the idle kickdown linkage on your carb is smoke grey with 3 horizontal grooves per inch but Galen says it should be light grey with 5.5 grooves per meter, so in my book that means your 100K car is worth 2 dollars".  These people also drive their rare-ass cars .05 miles per year and their neighbors hate the fact that they never shut up.

To the folks who fit in number 1 (the vast majority of the folks I've dealt with here):  Thanks!  You've made Moparing fun so far!
To the 2-5'ers:  No comment.  PS. Eff you.
[ŌŌ]ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ[ŌŌ] = 68
[ŌŌ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ŌŌ] = 69
(ŌŌ)[ƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗ](ŌŌ) = 70

1974dodgecharger

LMAO I think I met only 1 and 2.  Overall though like you said most of us are very helpful I know some forum members shoot me cars my way to think about and it might not be the one I want, but they still are thoughful of me.  :2thumbs:

Im eyeing one right now in another state with a 4 speed, 440, disc brakes, but the kicker is its not black!!!!! 

bakerhillpins

I don't know, I think you are missing the point on 4 & 5.

First off let me say that this is the internet and we should all be well aware that communication through keyboards leaves SOOOOOOOO much behind. It doesn't communicate someone's mood, attitude, no voice inflection, no body language, nothing. These are important pieces of communication that imoticons try to fill and poorly at best. We on the receiving end model all that missing info based upon our current disposition. I get caught in this a lot. I have found that before I get my flame suit on I give it at min a half a day before I hit send. So that I get some time to dwell on it and give my mood a chance to change. Anyhow. On to my point..

4 - Don't forget all the guys out there that are actually trying to be helpful. I looked for my car for over 2 yrs. I had plenty of help. I was always, I mean ALWAYS excited when I posted up about a car. I had to learn to accept that there was no where for me to go but down from that point so don't let it drag on you. Several folks have come on here with budgets of that size. Me included. Though mine was in the 20-25k range. And yes, LOTS of posts and email feedback said roach, POS, run, stupid... All it ever was is feedback about the car, Don't make it personal. It's not. More importantly simply use it as a vote for and against and use a rating scale based upon who posted it if that helps you ignore them. Keep up the good spirit and hope that a car that works for you is out there. Also be aware that some folks see you getting into a rusty 15k car and then you don't have any room left to fix the major problems that are certainly in that car. They are just trying to look out for you so you don't have that post buyer remorse that kills the dream for so many. Not everyone feels that writing a book is the best way to convey that point, some are blunt.

5 - Same thing as I was saying. You get what you take away from the party. The guys that are the purists and point out what isn't correct are simply making the same point as the rust guys. If you are going to Pay top dollar for a car be aware that these things that are sold as being correct are not. I personally like these posts because I learn from them. And yes, I got lots of those emails/posts too. Rather than take it personally I used it as a chance to learn. Now I know a LOT more and I am a better consumer for it.

Here is the other thing, and I am not trying to single you out or criticize you. If folks don't like the feedback simply ignore it or say thank you and move on. Keyboard commandoing it and trying to change people through internet arguments is like arguing with an idiot. You are always come out on the bad end of the deal. My parents used to tell me to treat it like water on a duck's back.  Sadly the end result is you end up alienating the vast majority of the helpful folks cause they tend to just avoid these threads. If you just move through the troll bait and keep focused on what you need to get from the conversation the ones who are trying to push your buttons will move on.

Ok, I have to take my daughter to her music lessons and I hope that I actually brought something useful to DC.com today.  :Twocents:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

Ghoste

You are absolutely correct.  :yesnod: :cheers:

RallyeMike

Poll says 4 outta 5 DC.com members are pricks. Straight from unbiased source of "Hater"saurusrex.

I am amused.  :icon_smile_big:

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Homerr

i've noticed another category (combines some traits of other categories) -

6.  'The Personal Responsibility Expert' will chide those that want to be welcomed in to the hobby but forgot to become an expert first!  They have no tolerance for someone who just wanted a Charger, saw one, and bought it with minimal or no research.  You bought that project Charger because you had an emotional connection to it? You deserved to get screwed for buying it!  Don't you know that you need to be an expert bodyman to diagnose what you are looking at!?  A sucker really is born every minute.  You always wanted a Hemi Charger but bought a 318 car with a 7 1/4" rear!  Let's take an inventory of everything you don't know!  They like crushing others' dreams.

Meanwhile, these people obviously became experts in all fields before they encountered them in life - such as marriage, legal precedence, children, medical diagnosis, career negotiations, retirement planning, basket weaving, food safety, home repair, etc.

RCKSTR

I bought my last 69 on emotional attachement only, did I overpay for it? Maybe. Did I care? Hell no. I loved every second I had with that car. Did I take a loss when I sold it? You bet, but I had my fun with it and got every pennys worth.  :Twocents:

Wicked72

Also bought mine with with emotional attachment. sold my first one because i needed the money and yes took a loss. My car now I got a damn good deal and could care less what its worth. To get it where I want I figure around 32k and even if its worth 5 bucks after all that I dont care because these cars are what I grew up with and because of them I feel my life is better and I work on the right side of the bars because I also gained a passion for these cars and the hobby that is Mopar and for that I am grateful. People here on DC.com have been extremely helpful and supportive and yes some posts you will get a bunch of crap for but understand why and move on with your life and take it for what its worth if anything. These people are like a second family to me and one that I have come to trust. And guess what I barely have two nickles to rub together!! Have a Nice day.
M-Massively O-Over P-Powered A-And R-Respected

triple_green

Good thread! I think all these types of people should be welcome. It is always best to be courteous and helpful and not condescending in all posts. I have gotten an unmeasurable amount of help from this site and am very grateful.

It has even gotten more more interested in cars leaning toward the Pro Touring type of mods.

Always interesting....BTW, I wonder who got that black charger from Boise. it looked interesting.

3X
68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

hatersaurusrex

Quote from: RallyeMike on January 06, 2013, 10:42:47 AM
Poll says 4 outta 5 DC.com members are pricks. Straight from unbiased source of "Hater"saurusrex.

It's amazing how whiskey can affect the tone of a post.   I thought I was being funny when I wrote this last night but now I think I sound like a tool.   I'm a pretty decent guy, I promise ;)
[ŌŌ]ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ[ŌŌ] = 68
[ŌŌ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ŌŌ] = 69
(ŌŌ)[ƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗ](ŌŌ) = 70

Back N Black

Soooooooooo, what number are you?  :D

Lee A

you hit the nail on the head I have found guys in here that even get on my case about my spelling or puncuation who cares!!!! Also i have found very helpful people in here none the less jerks will allways be jerks you can never get away from that.
1968 Dodge Charger 440
1969 Dodge Charger 383

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: RallyeMike on January 06, 2013, 10:42:47 AM

They are still LOVED!!!

Without this forum I would of fallen for some major rust buckets since I didnt know the true value of the cars since its been awhile since I looked at them and now I understand the prices of them and its been nearly a year since I joined the boards.

mauve66

Quote from: Homerr on January 06, 2013, 11:05:50 AM

6.  'The Personal Responsibility Expert' will chide those that want to be welcomed in to the hobby but forgot to become an expert first!  They have no tolerance for someone who just wanted a Charger, saw one, and bought it with minimal or no research. You bought that project Charger because you had an emotional connection to it? You deserved to get screwed for buying it!  Don't you know that you need to be an expert bodyman to diagnose what you are looking at!?  A sucker really is born every minute.  You always wanted a Hemi Charger but bought a 318 car with a 7 1/4" rear!  Let's take an inventory of everything you don't know!  They like crushing others' dreams.

Meanwhile, these people obviously became experts in all fields before they encountered them in life - such as marriage, legal precedence, children, medical diagnosis, career negotiations, retirement planning, basket weaving, food safety, home repair, etc.

i thought we ALL did that, does this mean i'm more special than i thought i was??? :icon_smile_big:
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

RallyeMike

QuoteIt's amazing how whiskey can affect the tone of a post.   I thought I was being funny when I wrote this last night but now I think I sound like a tool.   I'm a pretty decent guy, I promise Wink

I find humor is small things, like the Hatersaurus, well,..... hating.

Like has been suggested, 95% of the guys on this site are stand up friendly people who would get along just fine and not say face to face half the stuff that gets posted. I blame the :naughty: in the machines.

1974DodgeCharger: Keep up the hunt.

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Cooter

Of Course, there is another number 7.....

7. "The Bleeding heart liberal"... Forum member that tend to like to psot things they know will inevidably cause trouble, yet hide behind the "I'm the goodguy here, I'm trying to help you/the hobby. As long as I can keep you on the outside looking in, you will be the outsider". Meanwhile, all they are really doing is whining and b*tching after the fact, and acting like no ones supposed to speak about it.

I mean, it's a dog eat dog world, there ain't no room for pussy.......Cats.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

RallyeMike

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1973 Charger "T/A"

UH60L

Quote from: Homerr on January 06, 2013, 11:05:50 AM

6.  'The Personal Responsibility Expert' will chide those that want to be welcomed in to the hobby but forgot to become an expert first!  They have no tolerance for someone who just wanted a Charger, saw one, and bought it with minimal or no research.  You bought that project Charger because you had an emotional connection to it? You deserved to get screwed for buying it!  Don't you know that you need to be an expert bodyman to diagnose what you are looking at!?  A sucker really is born every minute.  You always wanted a Hemi Charger but bought a 318 car with a 7 1/4" rear!  Let's take an inventory of everything you don't know!  They like crushing others' dreams.

Along the same lines, I'd have to say there are about as many "categories" of people on here as there are people.

I mean, just off the top of my head I could come up with several.  Let's see, there's #7: The General Lee haters club, #8: The "I don't care what you did to your car, it'll never be "original" group, #9: The "let's post controversial topics and see how many arguments we can start" group.

You could go on and on.  Fortunately some of the people in groups 2 through infinity also sometimes fit into group #1, which makes this place a huge resource for charger/mopar people.  I've learned quite a bit here, and even though I don't post what could be called frequently, I try to check this site every day to see what new info/cool pictures etc is being posted.

Great tech info on here, and interesting insight into prices and quality of parts.

1974dodgecharger

yet still pussy cats still exist and dogs exists?  If dog did eat dog then there be no chinese people in the world?

Quote from: Cooter on January 07, 2013, 07:50:13 AM
Of Course, there is another number 7.....

7. "The Bleeding heart liberal"... Forum member that tend to like to psot things they know will inevidably cause trouble, yet hide behind the "I'm the goodguy here, I'm trying to help you/the hobby. As long as I can keep you on the outside looking in, you will be the outsider". Meanwhile, all they are really doing is whining and b*tching after the fact, and acting like no ones supposed to speak about it.

I mean, it's a dog eat dog world, there ain't no room for pussy.......Cats.

Cooter

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on January 08, 2013, 12:55:45 AM
  If dog did eat dog then there be no chinese people in the world?

Hmmm, so in your opinion, all Chinese people eat Fillet Meow?  :shruggy:
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: Cooter on January 08, 2013, 12:10:59 PM
Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on January 08, 2013, 12:55:45 AM
  If dog did eat dog then there be no chinese people in the world?

Hmmm, so in your opinion, all Chinese people eat Fillet Meow?  :shruggy:

no, but they do eat dog that I know for a fact in china

polywideblock

what you guy are missing is that there is an asshole in every crowd :yesnod:   ALL numbers 1-7 theres one in every bunch statistically, even the so called good guys

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

472 R/T SE

Quote from: Lee A on January 06, 2013, 06:27:09 PM
You hit the nail on the head. I have found guys in here that even get on my case about my spelling or puncuation, who cares!!!! Also i have found very helpful people in here none the less jerks will allways be jerks, you can never get away from that.

Cause I care.   ;)

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on January 10, 2013, 01:04:56 AM
Quote from: Lee A on January 06, 2013, 06:27:09 PM
You hit the nail on the head. I have found guys in here that even get on my case about my spelling or puncuation, who cares!!!! Also i have found very helpful people in here none the less jerks will allways be jerks, you can never get away from that.

Cause I care.   ;)

yeah, but I care about you and you dont care so should I still care that you dont?