News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Fuel Questions for a 426 Hemi

Started by Miller17m, January 05, 2013, 07:04:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miller17m

What type of gas should I use?  I have a original 426 Hemi and I am getting it road ready.  Do I need to get some high octane leaded fuel or how can I get pump fuel to work?  Is there an additive that I need to use? 

Thanks in advance and go have some FUN!

:popcrn:

Mytur Binsdirti

What's the compression & are you using iron or aluminum heads?

Miller17m

The engine is completely stock, so I believe the factor compression was low...around what 9:1 or 9.5:1???  Steel block and heads.

Scaregrabber

10.25 - 1. Try the highest octane pump gas you can buy and see how it runs. I can get 94 octane where I live and a stock Hemi will run fine on it. I find with the new fuels where I live though that I have jet the carbs richer than stock.
All you can do is try it.

Sheldon

RCKSTR

Any gas you can pump today will ruin the valve seats, as there is no lead in the unleaded to lubricate the seats, you need to get some lead additive and add it everytime you put gas in.

Miller17m

I can get some pump gas, add lead additive, but will I need to add some Octane booster?  Sure wish a gas station would have some Cam2 at their pump!

I have access to race gas, but man it is expensive to run.  When I was driving it in my early years, we just drove out to the airport and said "fill'er up"....I don't suspect that I can do that today.

Charger-Bodie

I just mix 5 gallons of race gas to 3/4 tank of regular pump gas 87 octane.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

RCKSTR

I believe chevron has 94 octane, that should be more than enough to prevent detonation. My range rover is 10:1, we run 91 in it all the time and never have a detonation issue.

Scaregrabber

Unleaded gas will destroy your exhaust valve seats but if you don't drive it much it will take some time. If you can buy leaded race gas, mixing it 25/75 with regular unleaded would be worthwhile. I don't believe in additives like lead additives, octane booster etc.

Sheldon

ACUDANUT

Your valve seats are fine. After a period of time they become hardened on their own.  :Twocents:

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: ACUDANUT on January 05, 2013, 11:49:27 PM
Your valve seats are fine. After a period of time they become hardened on their own.  :Twocents:

And sunken.

boys3rt

Remember to use zinc additive or zinc treated oils. You can find that information in the forum.

Enjoy