News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Scared of shipping overseas

Started by Boof05, January 08, 2013, 08:13:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boof05

Why is it that people are reluctant to ship their cars overseas?

I have had a few Chargers come and go because they have opted for a local sale.

Most of the work has to be done from my end so I don't see a major issue.

Just a little frustrated is all.
"It takes a Mopar to catch a Mopar".

nvrbdn

so you are trying to purchase, but the seller is backing out? does your work include the truck showing up at their house? so there is nothing for the seller to do but load the car?
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Boof05

Hey nvrbdn,

Yeah, it seems like it gets too hard for them and they back out.

Yes, I organise all transport across the states as well as shipping, all seller has to do is load the car.

nvrbdn

what have you been looking for, and where is it being shipped to?
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

moparstuart

i had no problem selling my road runner over seas  , sure seems like the buyer had too take all the risks and had to do all the work
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: moparstuart on January 08, 2013, 09:03:44 PM
i had no problem selling my road runner over seas  , sure seems like the buyer had too take all the risks and had to do all the work

Thats the way I understand it as well....few of my friends sold cars overseas and the buyer had to send funds, have them clear etc before the title was issued etc....

All the transactions went smoothly though...thats where mine would have to go if I sold her...overseas so I wouldnt be able to see her again :(
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Bob T

Boof, a lot of sellers have a fear of getting scammed by foreigners, but a lot also just plain do not want to sell their cars out of the U.S.A. , fair enough thats their personal choice and when they hear an unfamiliar accent or email from another country the alarm bells go off and some will do all they can to back out of the sale. My shipper was a Kiwi guy based in L.A for 12 years and thats how he explained it to me. He said basically ''Find the car, and let me talk to them before you do'' . I made enquiries on other cars before this one and the people just didnt return calls or were unwilling to proceed further. Maybe you need to contact a local inspection agent to handle the point of contact? Also, dont buy a car without getting it checked out, no matter what they say, you are carrying all the risk, if it turns up and is a bondo disaster then you've burned your dough needlessly, I've seen cars come in here that'll never be road legal without spending thousands due to undisclosed terminal rust problems. Save up some more if you need to and get it inspected, it'll cost less in the long run.  
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

Boof05

Thanks Bob,

Do you know of any inspectors that I could contact? That would be a huge help.

I understand people's concerns as I have them also. I front up the cash and the car never turns up, then it's a plane ticket to track them down and break their legs,lol

nvrbdn, I am looking for a 1968 - 70 Charger to restore and will be shipping it over to Australia

There is also the risk to the buyer of pilfering the car while in transit. Pretty stressful but be prepared for anything.

charger Downunder

You need to speak to G-man, he just bought a car to come back to Australia a mustang and the bloke who did the purchase for him is in the states he has a thread about the car on here.
[/quote]

polywideblock

I've bought a roadrunner 3 years ago and a charger in Nov last year (waiting for it to arrive) I use http://www.classiccarguy.com/appraisals.asp he has done right by me!400 well spent  do not buy without a inspection!I  also use a local(Australian) shipper they pick up,  pack , ship and unload i don't have to do anything apart from find and after inspection pay :2thumbs: Phil

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

nvrbdn

i was thinking we have a member on here from australia that has a second gen charger in the middle of restoration and he was tired of it. :shruggy:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Darkman

Hi Boof05  :wave:

G-Man and I both both used Shermatt America. Matt is an Australian (from Adelaide) and lives in Florida. His wife is American. Basically you pay a broker fee and he does all the work (find the car and negotiate and secure cash handover). You may need to pay extra for an inspection, but he does a full video inspection and posts it up on youtube. He helps with all the paperwork and uses Schumacher Logistics with Freightnet in Aus to get the car to you. It is well worth the money as it takes a lot of the risk out of it.

I don't understand either why most won't sell overseas as there is no risk to them whatsoever. The buyer takes all the risk.

Where in Aus are you located?
Make it idiot proof, and somebody will make a better idiot!

If you think Education is difficult, try being stupid!

Boof05

Quote from: Darkman on January 08, 2013, 10:46:01 PM
Hi Boof05  :wave:

G-Man and I both both used Shermatt America. Matt is an Australian (from Adelaide) and lives in Florida. His wife is American. Basically you pay a broker fee and he does all the work (find the car and negotiate and secure cash handover). You may need to pay extra for an inspection, but he does a full video inspection and posts it up on youtube. He helps with all the paperwork and uses Schumacher Logistics with Freightnet in Aus to get the car to you. It is well worth the money as it takes a lot of the risk out of it.

I don't understand either why most won't sell overseas as there is no risk to them whatsoever. The buyer takes all the risk.

Where in Aus are you located?

Hey Mate,

Located in Sydney

Bob T

I think Nevrbdn is right, I just can't remember who, might have been a green 69??? My inspection agent/shipper is expensive but good at it, maybe check out the leads from the other Aussie guys first and get back if you are still looking. Two things though, most ship ex LA, so look for a car thats closer to there than one from NY or somewhere , the interstate transport costs sure add more to the prices. 2nd thing, if possible, try classified listings like here on D.C. carsonline or moparts rather than ebay, then there is not the same time pressure on you or the seller for inspection vs distance and getting someone to view it before the auction closes. Be patient!!! Its a grind alright, but the big picture is the payoff from driving it. I've just done an 1100 mile summer roadtrip in my R/T, that sure rocked hard!!
Old Dog, Old Tricks.