News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

weird question

Started by cowboy4x4n, January 02, 2013, 05:37:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cowboy4x4n

guys,

I happened to have a discussion with my step father over the holidays regarding chargers.  He mentioned he had a 69 similar to mine with a 383 and auto trans.  He mentioned he bought the car when it was 8 years old it had a factory optioned torque convertor.  He described the torque convertor as having special veins inside that flexed or some kind of motion that made the car go faster at top end.  Now I just wrote this off as my old man telling tall tales and there was nothing special in the trans but I figured id ask.  Was there this option in the convertor and if so what was it.

Thanks

Cooter

Think he's getting a high stall converter confused somehow. You would Not believe how many people do not understand how a stall converter, or a plain torque converter works. While some explanations "Sound" plausible, they are simply that, someone's "Explaination" according to them.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

resq302

and at 88 miles per hour, did his car time travel too?   :lol:    Just kidding.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

cowboy4x4n

lol told you it was a weird question.  i figured high stall just wasn't sure about this one.

cdr

gm had what they called a switch pitch torque converter,seems like it was in Buicks  :yesnod: :icon_smile_big:

In 1964 GM came out with its Turbo Hydomatic 400 transmission. Buick called it the Super Turbine 400. In 1965, a feature was added to those transmissions that lasted through 1967, at which time the bean counters said "drop it."

The vanes in the converter could be "switched" to one of two positions via and electronic solenoid inside the transmission. Switching the vanes in the converter would change the stall speed of the transmission (the engine could be brought up to higher RPM's without the car wanting to creep forward.) BOP used this feature for two reasons: 1) It helped the engine reach a better rpm when engaging the passing gear - switch on the carb linkage, and 2) it kept the car from creeping at idle when stopped at a stop sign or stop light (any time the car was in gear but not moving.) It did this using a switch activated by movement of the brake pedal. Nowday, guys will rewire the converter solenoid so they can manually determine when they want the vanes in the converter to be in high or low stall. They are using the high stall to allow them to bring the engine to a higher rpm while holding the car still. In drag racing, this allows the engine to be closer to max power when launching from a dead stop. As soon as the car has launched under power and the engine rpms are in the power band where the greatest hp / torque is being produced, the driver will switch the converter into low stall so the transmission is not experiencing as much slippage. Here are some articles from various magazines that can perhaps better explain the full features of a switch pitch transmission
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Wicked72

thats some awsome info never knew that existed.  :scratchchin:
M-Massively O-Over P-Powered A-And R-Respected