News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

UCA bushing sleave?

Started by flyinlow, December 31, 2012, 02:20:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flyinlow

Was removing the UCA bushings on a "70 Charger. One bushing in each arm had what looked like a metal band or sleave around the outer metal shell of the bushing , toward the inside of the wishbone. Had to cut it with a die grinder,then air chisel it off. Then you could push the normal part of the bushing out with a press. Never have seen these before. What are they for?

Hard Charger

could it be for setting spacing?

b5blue

It's a H.D. service part. Mostly cop car and cab applications, I know Mancini Racing sells them if you want replace them, but they are not really needed. 

flyinlow

Thanks, just was glad they where not a 1970 only part.  I allready have the Moog offset bushings ready to install.

b5blue

There are 2 ways of installing them, both bushings inward toward the engine to move the UCA balljoint outward and the other way is to install the front bushing outward with the rear bushing inward to move the UCA balljoint forward. What are you correcting castor or camber?  :scratchchin:
  After rebuilding my front suspension and getting it aligned to stock settings I found I'll need to apply the later option with the bushings in opposition to achieve the best alignment for the long run. (When I change to larger than factory rims and tires.) Later this year I'll be converting to 11 3/4 rotors with Mopar slider type calipers and have bought new reproduction UCA's to set up in that way.
  I'm setting the car up very near factory factory ride height and specs. I told the shop not to offset for road slope as they like to do for most cars in Florida. (On a true flat surface the car slightly veers to the left.)

flyinlow

Setting up for max positive castor.