News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Getting started putting together a Janak Nosecone

Started by Daytona313, January 04, 2013, 02:19:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daytona313

I finally have been getting some free time and I want to get get back to my 69 Daytona clone project, I bought all the parts ten years ago. I'd like to try to get the nosecone and headlights working this winter. I made a stand for it in my Dad's basement. I was wondering if anyone else here has put one together and has any tips or reference pictures. Is there a aftermarket motor that works well for raising the headlight buckets?

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

dreamcatcher

My superbird was all Janak. Needed lots of tweaking to make things fit. I used the original vacuum type on mine.They work good but I never could find springs to keep them open if you loose vacuum. Just take a lot of time and keep at it.   :2thumbs:
1970 Superbird Tribute 440 auto
1968 Charger 426 6 pack auto
1971 Chevelle SS Tribute 350 4 speed
1970 Mustang 351 C 4 speed
1969 GTO 400 Ram air III 4 speed
1972 Charger (soon 5.7 hemi auto)
1973 Charger 440 auto (U code)
If you've never been scared (even a little) then you've never gone as fast as you could have!

hemi68charger

Good luck on the project and have fun. I'm sure there will be advise for you.. If you have any particular questions I'll try (barring I don't have to tear my nose apart to answer it)  :icon_smile_big:
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

moparstuart

you might want to think about getting steel  z brackets , or at least reinforcing your with steel  
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Daytona313

Thanks everyone. I'm sure I'm going to have a lot of more detailed questions soon. Any assembly pictures of the head light buckets or small parts, and brackets info would be a great help!

Quote from: BigBlockSam on January 04, 2013, 02:38:24 PM
:cheers:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,29394.msg321659.html#msg321659

Great build, What vacuum cans and parts can be used with a daytona clone? It would be great if there were some new reproduction parts I can use for opening the headlights.

Quote from: moparstuart on January 04, 2013, 04:44:32 PM
you might want to think about getting steel  z brackets , or at least reinforcing your with steel  

I'm definitely planning on getting metal z brackets before mounting on the car. The fiberglass ones were all I could find back when I was buying parts and will be good enough to get me through this stage.

RealWing

This was my stand that took 3 weeks of engineering work to design!!!   :icon_smile_big:
1970 Superbird 440-6bbl
1969 Barracuda 340 Formula S
1969 Barracuda convertible  6.1 L Hemi
2015 BMW K1600 GTL

RTDaddy

I built a Daytona clone from Janak's stuff, finishing it in '02.  Used the electric motor from a Chrysler LeBaron to drive the pods up and down.  Also added a couple of levers on the square rod to "counterbalance" the weight of the pods with springs(like an elevator) to lessen the strain on the motor.  PM and I'll get you more details/pics.  Good luck.

"IF YOU'RE UNDER CONTROL, YOU AIN'T GOING FAST ENOUGH."
"IF YOU'RE UNDER CONTROL, YOU AIN'T GOING FAST ENOUGH."

Daytona313

Does anyone know if 1968 charger headlight actuators will work for a clone Daytona?

oldcarnut

Quote from: Daytona313 on January 04, 2013, 02:19:46 PM
I finally have been getting some free time and I want to get get back to my 69 Daytona clone project, I bought all the parts ten years ago. I'd like to try to get the nosecone and headlights working this winter. I made a stand for it in my Dad's basement. I was wondering if anyone else here has put one together and has any tips or reference pictures. Is there a aftermarket motor that works well for raising the headlight buckets?
Page 3 and 4 I have some pics of my Bird clone nose-all Janek.  I used a Porsche wiper motor and Bosch wiper pivits.  Someone else here did something similar with a varied linkage.  Works for me anyway http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,53678.50.html

moparstuart

I'm wondering if these might work  or be modified too

CS305 Electric headlight door Actuators

For 1968 and 1969 Dodge chargers

Complete conversion kit $460.00

direct bolt in replacements for the vacuum operated units. connect to your existing headlight wiring to activate.

no modifications required to install..

http://www.chargerspecialties.com/new_product.htm
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE