News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Drop in a HEMI or not?

Started by johnnyseville, December 30, 2012, 11:53:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnyseville

My Daytona does not have the original 440, but tracing it back through owners, so hopefully even if it is a paperweight will get it and try to rebuild.  To be honest, a 440 does not do it for me after having had only Hemi cars for so long.  Can pick up a crate pretty cheap, 12K.  Toying about the idea of dropping it in.  Engine compartment is totally mint as is.  Should I? :shruggy:  One other thing, if I do it, should I opt for an original Hemi instead of crate, perferably 69, though it will be more expensive.
too many to list!

garyd2831

If I'm correct, don't quote me, the new crate hemi will bolt up to your existing k-frame unlike a 69 block which will require a hemi k-frame.  If you don't have the original motor, I would drop in a hemi.

JB400

Is this a car that you're going keep forever or just one to play with for a couple of years and flip?  If it's one that you're keeping, make yourself happy and get a hemi.  If you're just going to flip it later on,  I would choose the 440.  Putting the Hemi in it might make it harder to sell.  But, then again, there are those out there that would rather buy the Hemi.  But, looking around, a few members have Hemis in thiers and have been trying to sell for a while. :Twocents:

billssuperbird

keep the 440. but put the hemi in it. :2thumbs:

johnnyseville

Who really knows, but more than likely it will move on eventually.  The only 2 cars I will never sell are my  69 Charger and 70 Chevelle, they have sentimental value.  Just like to fiddle with things.
too many to list!

johnnyseville

Quote from: billssuperbird on December 30, 2012, 12:22:00 PM
keep the 440. but put the hemi in it. :2thumbs:

Yeah, I would never sell the 440, unless I found the original block.
too many to list!

Ghoste

hemi68charger

From one 440 Daytona owner to another, put the Hemi in it. If I could afford it now, I'd have a 426 Hemi in mine faster than you could blink an eye......
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Julius2

In some cars a hemi makes it worth more, but in a Daytona, I would leave it stock. If you are worried about the horse power, you can build the crap out of the 440 and leave it looking stock. But what it comes down to, is personal preference. If you want the wow factor when you open the hood, it has to be a hemi.

moparstuart

go hemi just dont alter the car to where it cant be returned to a 440 
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

DC_1

Elephant motor.....nuff said...

Mopar Nut

Keep the 440, add a six pack, drink a six pack and go rip some Hemi a$$.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

JB400

Quote from: Mopar Nut on December 31, 2012, 01:07:36 AM
Sounds like a winner as well

Daytona Guy

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on December 31, 2012, 01:09:44 AM
Quote from: Mopar Nut on December 31, 2012, 01:07:36 AM
Sounds like a winner as well

If you have the money - go HEMI. A wild car and a wild engine just fits. I'm trying to make mine drivable.

Dane

tan top

if you got the dough , drop a elephant motor in it   :2thumbs:  , will do the same one day , hopfully  :yesnod:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

pettybird

my thoughts here, too.  if $12.5k is 'cheap' to you, do it. 

you'll probably be money ahead with it in there, too.  a NOM 440 car is a NOM 440 car, but that Hemi adds value.

Aero426

Quote from: Julius2 on December 30, 2012, 09:24:31 PM
In some cars a hemi makes it worth more, but in a Daytona, I would leave it stock. If you are worried about the horse power, you can build the crap out of the 440 and leave it looking stock. But what it comes down to, is personal preference. If you want the wow factor when you open the hood, it has to be a hemi.

What he said.

I am not down on a Hemi transplant as it sure is a "wow" when you open the hood, at least to the unwashed masses.   But if you are going to drive the car, the 440 is really the way to go.   End of story.

The other thing is that do do the Hemi right, you need to have all the right appearing accessories.   No single carb.   No Mopar Performance valve covers, the right air breather, the right exhaust manifolds.   You also have the deal where, in my opinion, just about any "12k crate Hemi" is a starting point.  Lots of stories out there on crate Hemis needing to be looked at.   I guess it depends on your builder.    If you are buying over the counter $12k would seem to be the down payment.    You could spent that money on other stuff and get a lot done.