News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1968 Charger - 440 to 528 Conversion

Started by charlie45, December 29, 2012, 11:30:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlie45

After many discussions and research, I'm leaning in the direction of going with a Ray Barton 528 instead of a new 500 Stroker.

Yes, its quite a bit more expensive. However, in the long run it will definitely make the car more unique and increase the re-sale value. Hemi is Hemi, right? ;)

But since I'm quite the novice here, I really want to know a complete list of things that will be needed to make this conversion (i.e. all parts, mounts, transmission stuff, etc.)

The car is an original 4-Speed (A833). I know Schumacher Creative Services makes the motor mount conversion kits (which I'll need), but what else is required?

I'm also putting new Wilwood 6 Pistons in the front and will get the Willwood master cylinder (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wil-260-8555-bk): I'm assuming this will fit fine with the new engine...???

What else do I need?

Charger-Bodie

I used a revamped k-frame from MegaParts. It fit perfect. They take regular k frames and replace the mount stuff with reproction Hemi parts and viola a factory looking part. I like that method far better than the conversion mounts.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

charlie45

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on December 29, 2012, 11:38:53 AM
I used a revamped k-frame from MegaParts. It fit perfect. They take regular k frames and replace the mount stuff with reproction Hemi parts and viola a factory looking part. I like that method far better than the conversion mounts.

Thanks for info. I spoke to one of the guys at Ray Barton (he was a younger guy) and he said to stay away from the conversion mounts and go with a Hemi K-member. He didn't have a really convincing argument for it neither though.

I mean for all intensive purposes aren't the Schumacher conversion mounts sufficient?? I don't intend to race this car... It will also cost me whole lot more to put the Hemi K-member in the car.

Any others with experience with Hemi conversion mounts??

GPULLER

Don't they offer the hemi block with wedge mounts?  Thought Mopar used to.

chargerbr549

I can't speak from experience but I thought I read years ago there was some issues with headers and possibly manifolds interfering with the conversion motor mounts if they are used instead of a factory mount setup?

Yeahmate

Quote from: charlie45 on December 29, 2012, 11:30:54 AM
What else do I need?
A bank account full of money  ;)
The Schumacher mounts work well, I run TTI 2'' 1/8 header and only had a little fowling on the steering box, with these mounts external oil pick up won't work.
Make sure you don't get a World Blocks they are POS my first engine I got 50 miles out of due to rear crank seal issues, the second I got 1200 miles with constant head gasket sealing issues to where it sits now, with a f..ked block.

Cracks around inner head stud bosses

http://i45.tinypic.com/30mtxxf.jpg[/img]]

68r/t

Quote from: Yeahmate on January 17, 2013, 08:31:11 PM
Quote from: charlie45 on December 29, 2012, 11:30:54 AM
What else do I need?
A bank account full of money  ;)
The Schumacher mounts work well, I run TTI 2'' 1/8 header and only had a little fowling on the steering box, with these mounts external oil pick up won't work.
Make sure you don't get a World Blocks they are POS my first engine I got 50 miles out of due to rear crank seal issues, the second I got 1200 miles with constant head gasket sealing issues to where it sits now, with a f..ked block.

Cracks around inner head stud bosses

http://i45.tinypic.com/30mtxxf.jpg[/img]]

Holy crap Trev, you've had  no luck  at all with those hemis, Whats happening this time, FHO going to stand by you?

Yeahmate

Hi Lorrie, Just talking with Tim at the moment and if I decide to continue with this car thing, we'll go for a Keith Black block.