News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What is this?

Started by 440 Fanatic, December 22, 2012, 08:38:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

440 Fanatic

A while back, I noticed this metal box in my '68 located in the front right area of my trunk. I don't know what it is. There are a couple of small holes in the rear of it through which I can see what appears to be circuit boards with various electronic components on it. It looks like it belongs there, but I've not seen any other Chargers with this box in them online or in person.  If no one knows what it is, I guess I'll get my old bad back self up in the trunk and investigate further.All I can figure is that someone perhaps home-made an audio amp and installed it,  but the car still had the factory radio when I bought it. So ??   :shruggy:     Any ideas folks? 

Thanks,

Gary

RCKSTR

Somethings for rear defrost?

RIDGERACER383

Follow the wires on it and see where they go.Being in the back it probably is for rear defrost.
1968 Dodge Charger 383 4bbl / 8.75 Rear 3.55

Mytur Binsdirti

What is it? It's scrap metal.  :lol:

69 OUR/TEA

Maybe the owner before you was an airline pilot and decided to install a black box in his land transportation!!!!! :lol:

bull

My guess: A clandestine KGB storage unit for a previous owner (a 70s hippie no doubt).

hawkeye

A383Wing

it's where the cats, ducks, & monkeys hide

Bryan

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

JB400

Government issue gps unit.  They have to have someway of keeping track of us. :P

Ghoste

It isn't factory whatever it is.

stripedelete

Never look directly at it.....

JB400

Have you opened it up to take a peek, or just look through the holes?

A383Wing

there will probably be eyeballs looking back

RCKSTR

Possibly something 80's stereo related  :shruggy: Tear it out!

HANDM

Quote from: RCKSTR on December 23, 2012, 12:35:01 AM
Possibly something 80's stereo related  :shruggy: Tear it out!

:popcrn:

Reach in there with a wrecking bar and pop that thing outta there.......

Give us another pic when you do as enquiring minds want to know

charger Downunder

Get in there with a mirror and see what the side near the back of the seat looks like.
[/quote]

440 Fanatic

Since most of you didn't read my FULL post,         ,""(If no one knows what it is, I guess I'll get my old bad back self up in the trunk and investigate further. All I can figure is that someone perhaps home-made an audio amp and installed it,  but the car still had the factory radio when I bought it. So ?? "")     
There doesn't appear to be any wires leading to it or out of it.

And thanks Ghoste,  that's one of the answers I wanted.

Thanks,

Gary

C5X DAYTONA

Looks like a reverb.   It can be from a Mopar Accessory Catalog.   I would not throw it away.   There is a market for them. 
Caution.... Low flying aircraft.

472 R/T SE

Quote from: C5X DAYTONA on December 23, 2012, 04:05:39 AM
Looks like a reverb.   It can be from a Mopar Accessory Catalog.   I would not throw it away.   There is a market for them. 

Yeah, I wouldn't rip it out of there.  That might be a piece someone's been looking for for years.

What..hell I don't have a clue, but C5X makes a good point.

RIDGERACER383

I would would leave it in there.Could be a super rare option from the factory.I'm thinking rear defrost of reverb.If it was a rear defrost,somebody may have replaced the rear glass long ago and put a regular glass in it and pulled the wires from the box.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: Ghoste on December 22, 2012, 10:56:24 PM
It isn't factory whatever it is.

:iagree:

Possibly an old motion sensor for an alarm?
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

A383Wing

ejector seat control box

charger490

its where they hide the drugs

RCKSTR

How is it secured to the car? spot welds or screws?

rt green

third string oil changer

mopar_man

I believe it may be a precursor of the first car locator .  Its about the right size for those tranponders they put on moose and wolves etc . depending on who owned the car originally , it would be an easy install for somebody with the right electronics .  :cheers:

A383Wing

open the damn thing up and show us what's inside!

twodko

Whatever you do, cut the BLUE wire first!  :lol:

Seriously, treat it gently because it may be something rare.  :Twocents:
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

RIDGERACER383

Any update..did you see what was inside or figure out what it was.

440 Fanatic

The mystery is solved. I finally climbed up in the trunk and pulled the box out and opened it up.
C5X Daytona nailed it,  it is a reverb unit made by gibbs mfg and research in janesville wisconsin.

RCKSTR

C5X DAYTONA

Dino

I've had those in guitar amps but I've never seen one in a car before.  Weird.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Cooter

Ahh, the old Reverb unit. Sweet. Sounds of the 70's.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

C5X DAYTONA

jar1292

Restoring a charger is like a saying I heard along time ago "I never said it would be easy, I only said it would be worth it".... Jesus I wish I could remember who said that...

70 Charger RT

70 Charger R/T - 440/6
07 BMW 328iS
04 GMC SLE 2500 Diesel

charger Downunder

Always learning schools never out now i know what a Reverb is.
[/quote]

Stretch

that reverb really changes the sound of that mono record. It sure soundes like a stereo feed. Thats cool for sure. Did they work that good in the cars? I have a C.B. thats all "hot roded" out. it has a "talk back" setting on it now. That reverb remindes me of that setting.
I may be schizophrenic but at least I have us!