News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Isn't this special!

Started by HeavyFuel, December 22, 2012, 07:23:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HeavyFuel

This should put to bed once and for all on whether it's ethical or not to badge up your car to make it out to look like an R/T when it not. :stirthepot:

I'm not talking about stripes.......stripe away.  I'm talking about when guys throw R/T insignia on cars that weren't born that way.

Separate models, the R/Ts are........so if you're mis-representin'........it's FRAUD.....fraud, it tell you!  :nana:

Just funnin'.........kinda. :lol:

It does bug me a little though, I mean.....if you want an R/t pony up the $$ for one, not just the badges.    But it probably doesn't happen all that often.  :2thumbs:

From Mopar Action:

HeavyFuel

cdr

i am glad you could afford a poop gold R/T ! but i could not ,,so i bought a poop gold big block non R/T,& it will be black & yes it will have R/T on the car.but i will never say it is a real r/t,my 1st charger was a black r/t clone in 1978 i was 13 years old.dident bother me then & it dont now   :icon_smile_big:

by the way you are doing a great job on that R/T i like  :icon_smile_big: :drool5:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Kern Dog

Piss off with your purist bull shit. Not everyone has a choice of 10 R/T models within their area or price range. If you don't like clones/recreations/fakes or tribute cars, that is YOUR problem to deal with. The VIN tells the story of the cars true pedigree. If someone such as myself decides to take a base level car and build it to appear like an R/T, it is THEIR choice and their right to do so. I am the first to admit that my car was originally a 500 model. I have no intentions to sell the car, but if I did, I would certainly not claim that the car was what it is not.

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: Red 70 R/T 493 on December 22, 2012, 10:19:43 PM
Piss off with your purist bull shit. Not everyone has a choice of 10 R/T models within their area or price range. If you don't like clones/recreations/fakes or tribute cars, that is YOUR problem to deal with. The VIN tells the story of the cars true pedigree. If someone such as myself decides to take a base level car and build it to appear like an R/T, it is THEIR choice and their right to do so. I am the first to admit that my car was originally a 500 model. I have no intentions to sell the car, but if I did, I would certainly not claim that the car was what it is not.

totally agree....its not these cars are going to built again EVER!!!  If it was then we would all spec out what we want from the factory.

JB400

Some of you guys need to loosen up a little bit.  Jeez.  It's just a car, who cares what badges are on it.  I can't tell what badges are on it from the drivers' seat.

Ghoste

However the Mecum commentator needs a kick in the ass.

A383Wing

nvrbdn

jeez............he said just funnin :smilielol:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Ghoste

We're a thin skinned lot around here lately.

Sublime/Sixpack

I have mixed emotions about it, and probably always will.
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

RCKSTR

Whats the purpose of putting R/T badges on? Just so people will think you have an R/T? Do most people even know what an R/T is? And if your willing to admit its not real (clone, tribute whatever) isnt that the same as having a fiero kit car that looks like a lamborghini? It isnt what it appears to be so why fake it?

Ghoste

Same reason people buy a fake Rolex?

RCKSTR

Just seems too poser for me.. I dont know, just my opinion. For the guys that do it, its your car, put eyelashes and shark fins on it if you want, I just dont get the "make it look like something its not" thing.

RCKSTR

Quote from: Ghoste on December 23, 2012, 12:52:25 AM
Same reason people buy a fake Rolex?

That could be a few reasons,

1.) Cant afford a real rolex
2.) Can afford a real rolex but are too cheap to pay for one
3.) Think it will get them more attention than a casio

Either way, Eventually you get "found out" and people look at you differently, IMHO.

JB400

Quote from: RCKSTR on December 23, 2012, 12:54:58 AM
Just seems too poser for me.. I dont know, just my opinion. For the guys that do it, its your car, put eyelashes and shark fins on it if you want, I just dont get the "make it look like something its not" thing.
I guess a "sleeper " car would fit in this category as well then?  Making a high end car look like a cheap granny car.

RCKSTR

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on December 23, 2012, 12:59:00 AM
I guess a "sleeper " car would fit in this category as well then?  Making a high end car look like a cheap granny car.

No, A sleeper has a purpose, I dont get the purpose of badging a car to be something its not.

RCKSTR

I can tell this thread is gonna get heated or locked. Im not looking for fights, just trying to understand the reasoning of throwing R/T badges on a non R/T car. Would you throw a hemi badges on a 318 car too? or maybe throw a 4x4 emblem on the trunk? What about a nice daytona call out on the quarter panels? Where do you draw the line on whats acceptable and whats not?

JB400

Quote from: RCKSTR on December 23, 2012, 01:21:55 AM
Quote from: stroker400 wedge on December 23, 2012, 12:59:00 AM

No, A sleeper has a purpose, I dont get the purpose of badging a car to be something its not.
I believe it is just a cheap form of showing off.

HeavyFuel

Wow.....hard to start a little good natured ribbing around here without some folks getting all jacked up.  Musta hit a nerve.

CDR.....Yeah, I AM glad to have the jing to buy an R/T, thanks for the kudos. :2thumbs:

Red 70....who are you to tell me to piss off?   You don't know me. 

HANDM

My 69 is truly just an XP SE, but it is badged up as an R/T.....why? Because I f'ing wanted it that way and no other reason. If I ever need to sell it, the original arrows go with it.

Either way a Charger is a Charger and we are priveledged to be the caretakers of them......  :2thumbs:

RCKSTR

For arguments sake, my F350 came from the factory as an XLT. I really wanted a lariat truck. So I put lariat badges on it.. BUT, I also put in a full leather interior, woodgrain door panels and dash, center console, overhead console with computer, keyless entry,everything that makes it a lariat. Long story short I actually made it a lariat truck. Granted its just a trim package, not a different model. But, I would never put the badges on without doing the rest of the work too.

HANDM

Quote from: HeavyFuel on December 23, 2012, 01:29:57 AM
Wow.....hard to start a little good natured ribbing around here without some folks getting all jacked up.  Musta hit a nerve.

CDR.....Yeah, I AM glad to have the jing to buy an R/T, thanks for the kudos. :2thumbs:

Red 70....who are you to tell me to piss off?   You don't know me. 

You don't tug on supermans' cape
You don't spit in the wind
You dont pull the mask off the lone ranger
And you don't mess around with.......................... :lol:

RCKSTR

That car I showed in "help me value this car" was advertised as an R/T car. Its an XP car, so in reality its false advertising. And if someone didnt catch it, they could be seriously overpaying for a car that isnt what it claims to be.

JB400

Best thing is, a General Lee could be made from either model of Charger :icon_smile_big: