News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Isn't this special!

Started by HeavyFuel, December 22, 2012, 07:23:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HeavyFuel

This should put to bed once and for all on whether it's ethical or not to badge up your car to make it out to look like an R/T when it not. :stirthepot:

I'm not talking about stripes.......stripe away.  I'm talking about when guys throw R/T insignia on cars that weren't born that way.

Separate models, the R/Ts are........so if you're mis-representin'........it's FRAUD.....fraud, it tell you!  :nana:

Just funnin'.........kinda. :lol:

It does bug me a little though, I mean.....if you want an R/t pony up the $$ for one, not just the badges.    But it probably doesn't happen all that often.  :2thumbs:

From Mopar Action:

HeavyFuel

cdr

i am glad you could afford a poop gold R/T ! but i could not ,,so i bought a poop gold big block non R/T,& it will be black & yes it will have R/T on the car.but i will never say it is a real r/t,my 1st charger was a black r/t clone in 1978 i was 13 years old.dident bother me then & it dont now   :icon_smile_big:

by the way you are doing a great job on that R/T i like  :icon_smile_big: :drool5:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Kern Dog

Piss off with your purist bull shit. Not everyone has a choice of 10 R/T models within their area or price range. If you don't like clones/recreations/fakes or tribute cars, that is YOUR problem to deal with. The VIN tells the story of the cars true pedigree. If someone such as myself decides to take a base level car and build it to appear like an R/T, it is THEIR choice and their right to do so. I am the first to admit that my car was originally a 500 model. I have no intentions to sell the car, but if I did, I would certainly not claim that the car was what it is not.

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: Red 70 R/T 493 on December 22, 2012, 10:19:43 PM
Piss off with your purist bull shit. Not everyone has a choice of 10 R/T models within their area or price range. If you don't like clones/recreations/fakes or tribute cars, that is YOUR problem to deal with. The VIN tells the story of the cars true pedigree. If someone such as myself decides to take a base level car and build it to appear like an R/T, it is THEIR choice and their right to do so. I am the first to admit that my car was originally a 500 model. I have no intentions to sell the car, but if I did, I would certainly not claim that the car was what it is not.

totally agree....its not these cars are going to built again EVER!!!  If it was then we would all spec out what we want from the factory.

JB400

Some of you guys need to loosen up a little bit.  Jeez.  It's just a car, who cares what badges are on it.  I can't tell what badges are on it from the drivers' seat.

Ghoste

However the Mecum commentator needs a kick in the ass.

A383Wing

nvrbdn

jeez............he said just funnin :smilielol:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Ghoste

We're a thin skinned lot around here lately.

Sublime/Sixpack

I have mixed emotions about it, and probably always will.
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

RCKSTR

Whats the purpose of putting R/T badges on? Just so people will think you have an R/T? Do most people even know what an R/T is? And if your willing to admit its not real (clone, tribute whatever) isnt that the same as having a fiero kit car that looks like a lamborghini? It isnt what it appears to be so why fake it?

Ghoste

Same reason people buy a fake Rolex?

RCKSTR

Just seems too poser for me.. I dont know, just my opinion. For the guys that do it, its your car, put eyelashes and shark fins on it if you want, I just dont get the "make it look like something its not" thing.

RCKSTR

Quote from: Ghoste on December 23, 2012, 12:52:25 AM

That could be a few reasons,

1.) Cant afford a real rolex
2.) Can afford a real rolex but are too cheap to pay for one
3.) Think it will get them more attention than a casio

Either way, Eventually you get "found out" and people look at you differently, IMHO.

JB400

Quote from: RCKSTR on December 23, 2012, 12:54:58 AM
Just seems too poser for me.. I dont know, just my opinion. For the guys that do it, its your car, put eyelashes and shark fins on it if you want, I just dont get the "make it look like something its not" thing.
I guess a "sleeper " car would fit in this category as well then?  Making a high end car look like a cheap granny car.

RCKSTR

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on December 23, 2012, 12:59:00 AM
I guess a "sleeper " car would fit in this category as well then?  Making a high end car look like a cheap granny car.

No, A sleeper has a purpose, I dont get the purpose of badging a car to be something its not.

RCKSTR

I can tell this thread is gonna get heated or locked. Im not looking for fights, just trying to understand the reasoning of throwing R/T badges on a non R/T car. Would you throw a hemi badges on a 318 car too? or maybe throw a 4x4 emblem on the trunk? What about a nice daytona call out on the quarter panels? Where do you draw the line on whats acceptable and whats not?

JB400

Quote from: RCKSTR on December 23, 2012, 01:21:55 AM
Quote from: stroker400 wedge on December 23, 2012, 12:59:00 AM

No, A sleeper has a purpose, I dont get the purpose of badging a car to be something its not.
I believe it is just a cheap form of showing off.

HeavyFuel

Wow.....hard to start a little good natured ribbing around here without some folks getting all jacked up.  Musta hit a nerve.

CDR.....Yeah, I AM glad to have the jing to buy an R/T, thanks for the kudos. :2thumbs:

Red 70....who are you to tell me to piss off?   You don't know me. 

HANDM

My 69 is truly just an XP SE, but it is badged up as an R/T.....why? Because I f'ing wanted it that way and no other reason. If I ever need to sell it, the original arrows go with it.

Either way a Charger is a Charger and we are priveledged to be the caretakers of them......  :2thumbs:

RCKSTR

For arguments sake, my F350 came from the factory as an XLT. I really wanted a lariat truck. So I put lariat badges on it.. BUT, I also put in a full leather interior, woodgrain door panels and dash, center console, overhead console with computer, keyless entry,everything that makes it a lariat. Long story short I actually made it a lariat truck. Granted its just a trim package, not a different model. But, I would never put the badges on without doing the rest of the work too.

HANDM

Quote from: HeavyFuel on December 23, 2012, 01:29:57 AM
Wow.....hard to start a little good natured ribbing around here without some folks getting all jacked up.  Musta hit a nerve.

CDR.....Yeah, I AM glad to have the jing to buy an R/T, thanks for the kudos. :2thumbs:

You don't tug on supermans' cape
You don't spit in the wind
You dont pull the mask off the lone ranger
And you don't mess around with.......................... :lol:

RCKSTR

That car I showed in "help me value this car" was advertised as an R/T car. Its an XP car, so in reality its false advertising. And if someone didnt catch it, they could be seriously overpaying for a car that isnt what it claims to be.

JB400

Best thing is, a General Lee could be made from either model of Charger :icon_smile_big:

HeavyFuel

Quote from: HANDM on December 23, 2012, 01:37:54 AM
Quote from: HeavyFuel on December 23, 2012, 01:29:57 AM

You don't tug on supermans' cape
You don't spit in the wind
You dont pull the mask off the lone ranger
And you don't mess around with.......................... :lol:

That is funny. :icon_smile_big:

But I didn't want my remark to seem threatening.  I just think it's disrespectful to tell someone you don't know from Adam to piss off.

Cooter

Why do some folks Badge up a "Base" Car with R/T badges??

Cause they can. Plain and simple. By the time most get done with their lowly "Base "cars here, they have more power, better brakes, better handling, and better paint than many of the "true" R/T's did when they left the factory, so if they left with "only" 375-425 HP, then One making over 600 HP should definately get the R/T badges. And yes, I have put "HEMI" badges on 318 cars before? Why? Cause I could. And to piss off purists.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

HeavyFuel

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on December 23, 2012, 01:39:34 AM
Best thing is, a General Lee could be made from either model of Charger :icon_smile_big:

OHHHHHH......you had to go there. :lol:

HeavyFuel

Quote from: Cooter on December 23, 2012, 01:45:03 AM

By the time most get done with their lowly "Base "cars here, they have more power, better brakes, better ahndling, and better paint than many of the "true" R/T's did when they left the factory, so if they left with "only" 375-425 HP, then One making over 600 HP should definately get the R/T badges.

Now that there IS a valid point..... :scratchchin:

Cooter

Plus, as if those "DAYTONA" Decals back in the day actually meant you took it to Daytona and raced it...Talk about posing...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

HeavyFuel

Cooter.....I gotta know.....is that you in your avitar?

That isn't me in mine , BTW. :smilielol:

RCKSTR

Quote from: Cooter on December 23, 2012, 01:45:03 AM

Cause they can. Plain and simple. By the time most get done with their lowly "Base "cars here, they have more power, better brakes, better handling, and better paint than many of the "true" R/T's did when they left the factory, so if they left with "only" 375-425 HP, then One making over 600 HP should definately get the R/T badges. And yes, I have put "HEMI" badges on 318 cars before? Why? Cause I could. And to piss off purists.

This I do agree with. Thank you Cooter.

Cooter

Quote from: HeavyFuel on December 23, 2012, 01:49:44 AM

Um,.......that would be a no...But it does bare striking similarities to many of the "Hemi" folks I run into though.

UH60L

Quote from: RCKSTR on December 23, 2012, 12:48:19 AM
Whats the purpose of putting R/T badges on? Just so people will think you have an R/T? Do most people even know what an R/T is? And if your willing to admit its not real (clone, tribute whatever) isnt that the same as having a fiero kit car that looks like a lamborghini? It isnt what it appears to be so why fake it?

Are you actually a rockstar?  No, then what's the purpose of using RCKSTR as you user name?  You were not born with that name.  Are you just trying to get attention because you have a small penis?  Why would anyone use a different name than their own online?

More improtantly, have you intentionally lied to anyone about your name?  Is your name causing anyone elses's name to drop in value?  Does your name make you happy?  Do you give a shit what anyone else thinks about your name?  

I'm the youngest of 8 kids.  My Dad was 43 by the time I was born.  We were not rich, or even what most would call "middle class".  We were not completely "poor", but we were not far from it.  I got my car for $7100.00 roughly 22 years after it had been converted from a 318 to a 440/727B.  I had to borrow $6000.00 of it.  I upgraded the brakes, suspension, added a rear sway bar, as well as all new wheels and tires, new dual exhaust with 40 series flowmasters, new wiring, new brake master cyclinder, I could go on and on.  It will never be "original" again.

If your that worried about what other people do to their own cars, then I think you have more time on your hands than I do.  (and probably more money too...)

HeavyFuel

Quote from: Cooter on December 23, 2012, 01:59:50 AM
Quote from: HeavyFuel on December 23, 2012, 01:49:44 AM

Um,.......that would be a no...But it does bare striking similarities to many of the "Hemi" folks I run into though.

Good to hear....I can erase that visual.  :2thumbs:

Cooter

Quote from: UH60L on December 23, 2012, 02:02:34 AM

Are you actually a rockstar?  No, then what's the purpose of using RCKSTR as you user name?  You were not born with that name.  Are you just trying to get attention because you have a small penis?  Why would anyone use a different name than their own online?

More improtantly, have you intentionally lied to anyone about your name?  Is your name causing anyone elses's name to drop in value?  Does your name make you happy?  Do you give a shit what anyone else thinks about your name?  

Damn, that's funny..... :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

JB400

Quote from: Cooter on December 23, 2012, 02:06:48 AM

Are you actually a rockstar?  No, then what's the purpose of using RCKSTR as you user name?  You were not born with that name.  Are you just trying to get attention because you have a small penis?  Why would anyone use a different name than their own online?

More improtantly, have you intentionally lied to anyone about your name?  Is your name causing anyone elses's name to drop in value?  Does your name make you happy?  Do you give a shit what anyone else thinks about your name? 

Damn, that's funny..... :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:
I agree, that's good :smilielol: :smilielol:

Quote from: HeavyFuel on December 23, 2012, 01:45:11 AM
Quote from: stroker400 wedge on December 23, 2012, 01:39:34 AM

OHHHHHH......you had to go there. :lol:
I'm glad I didn't include the 500 or the Daytona, that would have finished tying the knot on my noose.

HeavyFuel

I'm the youngest of 8 kids.  My Dad was 43 by the time I was born.  We were not rich, or even what most would call "middle class".  We were not completely "poor", but we were not far from it.  I got my car for $7100.00 roughly 22 years after it had been converted from a 318 to a 440/727B.  I had to borrow $6000.00 of it.  I upgraded the brakes, suspension, added a rear sway bar, as well as all new wheels and tires, new dual exhaust with 40 series flowmasters, new wiring, new brake master cyclinder, I could go on and on.  It will never be "original" again.

If your that worried about what other people do to their own cars, then I think you have more time on your hands than I do.  (and probably more money too...)

I liked Cooters counter-point better....he got it across without insulting another mans penis.  (I think he's gettin' soft.  :lol:)  

Ohhhh........that didn't sound right.... :eek2:

Cooter

Quote from: HeavyFuel on December 23, 2012, 02:10:53 AM

I liked Cooters counter-point better....he got it across without insulting another mans penis.  (I think he's gettin' soft.  :lol:)  That didn't sound right.....

AHHH! I can't unread that!

RCKSTR

I liked Cooters counter-point better....he got it across without insulting another mans penis.  (I think he's gettin' soft.  :lol:)  

So your telling me your real name is UH60L? Did your parents hate you that much for  ruining their retirment? If your wife hates your penis thats not my fualt, Im here to discuss cars, not the reasons your wife wants to leave you and your parents hate you. And yes, I do play in a band, we are quite popular but Im not revealing the name, so no, my name is not a lie.

kokxville

And wich one of you actually own a charger? :rofl:

Quote from: RCKSTR on December 23, 2012, 12:11:46 PM

So your telling me your real name is UH60L? Did your parents hate you that much for  ruining their retirment? If your wife hates your penis thats not my fualt, Im here to discuss cars, not the reasons your wife wants to leave you and your parents hate you. And yes, I do play in a band, we are quite popular but Im not revealing the name, so no, my name is not a lie.
1969 Charger R/T 4 speed A33 Track Pack.
1967 Dodge a108 360 Magnum. Daily driver
1969 Dodge Charger"the car you can take your kids in to school on a friday,go shopping on a saturday,dragrace on a sunday and go to work on monday"

JB400

And to think all this started about false advertising Charger R/T's :lol:

RCKSTR

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on December 23, 2012, 12:33:22 PM
And to think all this started about false advertising Charger R/T's :lol:
I know! Really shows you the children that visit this post. If Im not mistaken, the men have kept this on topic with valuable replies. We can all talk shit but really where does it get you? This forum is for cars, not smack talk.

68X426

Back to cars.

The only real RT is a '67 Coronet.

:girlfight:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Back N Black

Quote from: RCKSTR on December 23, 2012, 01:36:57 AM
For arguments sake, my F350 came from the factory as an XLT. I really wanted a lariat truck. So I put lariat badges on it.. BUT, I also put in a full leather interior, woodgrain door panels and dash, center console, overhead console with computer, keyless entry,everything that makes it a lariat. Long story short I actually made it a lariat truck. Granted its just a trim package, not a different model. But, I would never put the badges on without doing the rest of the work too.

Most people who do R/T clones do it correct,not just throwing badges on a car.

Green71R/T

As the owner of a real R/T , I have no problem with people putting R/T badges on their car. I do have a problem with an auction house misrepresenting the cars pedigree to increase the sale price and perhaps defrauding the new owner of the true value of the car.

Kern Dog

Going back to some semblance of the original topic.....
My car was a 318 model. It had F8 green paint and a white vinyl top. 14 inch wheels and 4 drum brakes.
Now? Flame red w/o any vinyl. Charcoal and black interior. 18 inch wheels, 4 wheel disc brakes. Suspension and steering several stages better than any stock R/T. Aluminum heads over a 493 short block. Gear Vendors overdrive unit.
I'd say R/T badges are an understatement at this point.

Ghoste

Quote from: Green71R/T on December 23, 2012, 03:05:04 PM
As the owner of a real R/T , I have no problem with people putting R/T badges on their car. I do have a problem with an auction house misrepresenting the cars pedigree to increase the sale price and perhaps defrauding the new owner of the true value of the car.

Yep, agreed and I think thats really the only important point in the whole thread.

RECHRGD

I'm with Cooter and red 70RT on this one.  I've said virtually the same thing in the past on these clone posts.  I had my original numbers matching R/T.  But that was in 1968, and I was doing mods to it within a week of taking delivery of it.  My current 318 XP car is now, in every way as good or better than my original R/T.  It's faster, stops better and handles better than my original car.  The only thing that I stayed true to, was to make it look as close as my original car as I could.  I never portray it to be something that it isn't when talking to people.  I don't know if the R/T badges create more smiles and thumbs up when on the road, but who cares.  It's my car, and as far as I'm concerned, it deserves the R/T badges......
13.53 @ 105.32

Patronus

I think the OP is a silly little troll... Only interested in causing anger and flaring tempers. Were our plane to crash in the wilderness I would eat you first.   :Twocents:
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Quote from: RCKSTR on December 23, 2012, 12:56:39 AM
Quote from: Ghoste on December 23, 2012, 12:52:25 AM

That could be a few reasons,

1.) Cant afford a real rolex
2.) Can afford a real rolex but are too cheap to pay for one
3.) Think it will get them more attention than a casio

Either way, Eventually you get "found out" and people look at you differently, IMHO.

You either have a real Rolex, or one doesn't...  :Twocents:

I've got an XS29 and an XP29 Charger, and like each for their own reasons  :Twocents: I'd never pass the XP29 car as an R/T, and it's fine, as-is...

bull

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on December 22, 2012, 10:31:24 PM
Quote from: Red 70 R/T 493 on December 22, 2012, 10:19:43 PM

totally agree....its not these cars are going to built again EVER!!!  If it was then we would all spec out what we want from the factory.

Whoa! Back away from the keyboard and slowly count to ten fellas.

Lennard

I've said it before and I will say it again... some people are just too worried about other peoples opinion. Do your own thing and don't give a shit about other peoples opinion.

And yes, Lennard is my real name. :nana:

Kern Dog

Maybe I am biased here, but it seems that if a person is in the market for a genuine, specific model, they should do their research .
I have built and sold several Mopars including a car that I named the FrankenDuster. It was a 74 Duster slant six that I modified into a 71 "recreation" 340 model. When I sold the car on ebay, I was totally clear in the text what the car was. Wne clones are handled properly, it hurts nobody. The masses will see these cars on the street and simply enjoy seeing them being driven as they were intended.

JB400

Quote from: Red 70 R/T 493 on December 24, 2012, 12:18:03 AM
Maybe I am biased here, but it seems that if a person is in the market for a genuine, specific model, they should do their research .
I have built and sold several Mopars including a car that I named the FrankenDuster. It was a 74 Duster slant six that I modified into a 71 "recreation" 340 model. When I sold the car on ebay, I was totally clear in the text what the car was. Wne clones are handled properly, it hurts nobody. The masses will see these cars on the street and simply enjoy seeing them being driven as they were intended.
Totally agree.  Be book smart as well as street smart

HeavyFuel

Quote from: Patronus on December 23, 2012, 08:46:34 PM
I think the OP is a silly little troll... Only interested in causing anger and flaring tempers. Were our plane to crash in the wilderness I would eat you first.   :Twocents:

Yeah......you're very clever.

I didn't directly attack anyone, just posted something that I thought was interesting, and wanted to spark a little discussion on the topic.

Not my fault if grown men can't join in and share a few thoughts without getting torqued off.

71green go

I think the only reason I would Clone a car to an R/T is because I like the striping, the badges etc......the non R/T cars to me are boring...If my 71 wasnt an R/T I would never have bought it because I think it needs the hood, the stripes the badges to make the car cool...without it It's just a plain car...my opinion
However anybody that clones an R/T and trys and push it off as one looks foolish in the end when people find out.....
But its your car feel free to do what makes You happy, but be honest

Ghoste

I saw a humorous comment under a thought about Mecums commentator.  If there was trolling I completely missed it.

azfrench

Wow....who would have thought that a different letter in a VIN would cause so much hate and animosity among a group of people who have come together because of a similar interest?  It is a letter in the VIN!!!!  Didn't cost anything for them to stamp it differently coming down the line.....Didn't change the way the sheet metal was placed on the car.....Didn't change anything but peoples idea of what the car is....You know what people?  A base model car vs a "Real" R/T is the same car.  It is the same car.   

Rick
1968 Charger

JB400

It doesn't matter how many times you explain it to them, they're still going to have this argument.  Honestly, I'm surprised my GL comment got blew over :lol:

Aussie R/T

Quote from: Red 70 R/T 493 on December 23, 2012, 04:01:25 PM
Going back to some semblance of the original topic.....
My car was a 318 model. It had F8 green paint and a white vinyl top. 14 inch wheels and 4 drum brakes.
Now? Flame red w/o any vinyl. Charcoal and black interior. 18 inch wheels, 4 wheel disc brakes. Suspension and steering several stages better than any stock R/T. Aluminum heads over a 493 short block. Gear Vendors overdrive unit.
I'd say R/T badges are an understatement at this point.

Put it up for sale with pictures with and without the R/T badges is the way to find out if the badges are an understatement or not.

Aussie R/T

I've had R/T's since 1982 infact never owned a base model charger all be it they two Aussie R/T sixpack cars and one dodge R/T.What I've found is the mock up R/T's like to revel in the HP associated with a genuine R/T'S but become increasingly uncomfortable when questioned over the Authentication of their cars.It's like I like to show off the car as an R/T but please don't question me about it's Authenticity and I can understand why as most show goers once they find out the car is not an R/T will just walk away rightly or wrongly .While there are the people who just like the look of the Charger with an R/T badge as if the car looked a little naked without it most times it's meant to deceive,at least that is my experience.
Like dodge the Aussie Valiant charger was notoriously difficult to quickly Authenticate unless you are around the charger scene and regularly see the XS29 to recognize a fake or in our case VH7S29 and this is prayed upon by the mockers so to speak I believe.I've heard some huge porkies come from the mouths of fake owners.At a car show in Australia I over heard a guy with a fake tell show goers after being questioned that his car was a genuine R/t and as the car was roped off and not able to clearly see the tags making it possible for this guy to stick to his story.so what you say get over it, but latter on I was at the poling booth when the peoples choice for genuine Muscle car trophy was being voted on and these same people were vote for the fake.The roped off car had even gone unnoticed to the judges who quickly went over to check it out.This caused a lot of confusion as most people who voted for the car had left and so their votes did not count.

Really putting R/T badges on a base car is false advertising weather the car is for sale or not it's like putting a sock in your jocks once you delve into it your going to be disappointed.

At least that's my 2c worth.Now anyone want to get a Genuine 70 R/T back home all you have to do is buy the car in avitar ship it home to the US panel paint and assemble it cause I'm sick of it.    

nvrbdn

no-one over there would want to buy it?
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Aussie R/T

Quote from: nvrbdn on December 25, 2012, 08:29:50 PM
no-one over there would want to buy it?

No,no one interested I've dropped the price 3 times even though it's a project I have had all the rust repaired and plenty of new parts.I've even considered parting it out but I would loose too much money.They are not very popular or at least not as popular as I'd hoped about 1/3 of the price of an Aussie R/T'S I'd say.

1974dodgecharger

Whats R/T stand for again?

I thought it was because Road and Track was the first mag. to review the car so they get a badge called R/T?  I know Honda gets the badge R/T if the mag is the first in the world to review such cars in Europe There is a Honda Accord R/T

Cooter

Quote from: azfrench on December 24, 2012, 10:47:31 AM
Wow....who would have thought that a different letter in a VIN would cause so much hate and animosity among a group of people who have come together because of a similar interest?    A base model car vs a "Real" R/T is the same car.  It is the same car.   

Rick
Dang, I can't believe you haven't realized it hasn't got anything to do with the VIN/Make of car/similar interests/etc....It DOES however, have to do with the same thing that causes the GL comments to be posted by the haters/purists...IT's THE SAME CAR!!!! You can state that, but see how well it flies...
IT'S ONLY PAINT!!! Go ahead and try that too....Real VS Clone, GL Vs Resot stock, Hemi VS Wedge...And on and on and on...

lukedukem

Quote from: Lennard on December 23, 2012, 09:53:51 PM
I've said it before and I will say it again... some people are just too worried about other peoples opinion. Do your own thing and don't give a shit about other peoples opinion.

And yes, Lennard is my real name. :nana:

agree.... my real name is Luke

luke
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

Ghoste

It is two different versions of a similar car and not the same thing.  One was the family car version and the other was the high performance version.  They look the same and we all like the look but one offered more under the hood to back up the good looks.  The letter in the VIN helps to prove which version you are looking at.  Strangely not everyone likes the same thing.  You can like the style of both but it doesn't mean they are both equally desirable, its like a pedigree.  Some people are okay without it and some prefer it.  The ones who prefer are willing to pay more for it which ultimately raises the overall value for the pedigreed versions in general.  And no matter what some of the real haters may say, there is absolutely nothing whatsoever wrong with preferring one version over the other nor is there anything wrong with being willing and/or able to pay more for acquiring what you prefer.  Myself I don't like the way the GL looks.  That does NOT mean I am a hater or a purist, it means simply and only that I do not care for the way that version of the 69 Charger looks and therefore I don't want one.  I do like the way an RT looks and have the means to pay for one, therefore I am quite willing to pay more for an RT than a GL because it is what I would prefer to own.  However the car I mostly desire would be an original Hemi RT and to buy one of those would be a stretch for me.  I don't hate Hemi owners because they are able to extract a better price for their cars.  There are people with better incomes than I who can afford one and they are willing to pay more for these very limited models than I.  If I didn't approve of that i could move to China or Cuba and the issue would be resolved.
The fact is that there are a greater number of people who want the RT than there are RT's for sale, they were more money when new and they are more money now.  

Ghoste

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on December 26, 2012, 05:50:34 AM
Whats R/T stand for again?

I thought it was because Road and Track was the first mag. to review the car so they get a badge called R/T?  I know Honda gets the badge R/T if the mag is the first in the world to review such cars in Europe There is a Honda Accord R/T

It stands for Road and Track.  In one of the first ads for the 67 Coronet RT that is largely what the ad is about, explaining that and the large typeface itself even says Road and Track.  Never heard that about the magazine before and it could be possible in Europe I guess but there would be an awful lot of RT models around if it were true in general.  I wouldn't be surprised if Chrysler has the letters registered in the US anyway.

Sublime/Sixpack

Ghoste is correct. Road and Track from 1967. :yesnod:
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

Dino

I think in Europe R/T stands for Rounds Turns meaning you can do other things than go in a straight line.   :lol: :stirthepot:
Sorry, couldn't help myself.  :icon_smile_big:

I bought my car as an R/T clone.  All I wanted was a base Charger that I could play around with, I don't want a real R/T, never did and probably never will.

The previous owner cloned it pretty good, down to the hd suspension, brakes, sway bar, torsion bars, extra leaf spring and whatever else it came with.  Oh yeah a 440 HP and Hd 727   :icon_smile_big:

Although he did install the butt stripe, he never changed the arrow emblems so they're still on it.  I didn't want the stripe but the wife loves it.  I still planned on removing it but you know how these things grow on you...

The plan now is to remove the 69 stripe and install the 70 stripe in flat black.  I will also give the car the V21 treatment in flat black with the big '440' in white on top of it.  Nowhere will it say R/T but I've got all the goodies! 

Of course there will be some idiot or two looking at the vin and bitching that something's not right so in order to keep my sanity I will not be doing any shows.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Cooter

Bottom line? There's no limit on the having fun part with either a "Real" R/T (Owner can stand up proudly and proclaim his Charger to be a factory offered R/T for whoever likes that type stuff), or the clone owner (who proudly stands up and proclaims to the purists that his car is a clone that's got way better performance/handling/braking/etc.,  than the "real" R/T)..It's just a different kind of fun.

Ghoste

They can proclaim it to the non purists too.  (because many RT owners swap engines, brakes, change colors etc.)   ;)

HeavyFuel

Quote from: Cooter on December 26, 2012, 12:20:58 PM
Bottom line? There's no limit on the having fun part with either a "Real" R/T (Owner can stand up proudly and proclaim his Charger to be a factory offered R/T for whoever likes that type stuff), or the clone owner (who proudly stands up and proclaims to the purists that his car is a clone that's got way better performance/handling/braking/etc., than the "real" R/T)..It's just a different kind of fun.

Yep....different strokes...etc.  :yesnod:

My car is a numbers XS and it's got a very stock look to it, but some things have been changed.  It's got subframe/torque boxes, some electrical and structural improvements, and a color change.  It's an A/C car, but I left that off during the resto.  Yet at the same time I get hung up on "factory correct" battery cables, and crap like that.  :rotz:

I feel good about my car being an R/t, and I'm not afraid to make a few changes hopefully for the better. :2thumbs: