News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Survivor Black RT

Started by XS29LA47V21, December 19, 2012, 03:14:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XS29LA47V21

Claims to be a original paint survivor, paint looks so nice, I do not know, good looking car, look like original exhaust except the flowmasters, some areas look repainted to me (like fender tag/screws, motor to name a couple areas to me).  Pricey in this market maybe, but if truly really all that & that original paint maybe worth it to someone (go find another black survivor RT).  Wasn't there another black RT up in the NY area in that price range but was repainted?   

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodge-Charger-RT-1969-Dodge-Charger-R-T-440-Magnum-4-Barrel-100-Unrestored-s-Matching-Car-Nice-/221166469102?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item337e8c7fee#ht_500wt_1104

JB400

It's hard to tell.  It does look a little too fresh for me to call it original paint survivor.

69 OUR/TEA

I've seen this one a few times on ebay so far,pretty cool being a low mile survivor,but way out of the price range.Don't get me wrong,I love survivor cars,but I also love restored cars with killer straight sanded/buffed paint,so I wouldn't pay that much for a survivor,....but if I had it I def would leave it alone.
Seems like the new fad is survivors,but don't think they should outprice restored cars,with all the labor that went into them.

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: XS29LA47V21 on December 19, 2012, 03:14:41 PM
look like original exhaust except the flowmasters,

I spy a repro 2 piece H-pipe. The door sill plates are too shiney to be 43 years old & obviously, the engine had been repainted. Nice car, but it's far from being a time capsule.

F8-4life

75k is creepin into hemi money

69 OUR/TEA

Yup,no doubt the eng has ben painted,never would have stayed that way.Also,notice the grill,someone did alitle custom painting there as well,and.....yuck !!!!!!

bakerhillpins

Grille seems to be painted a dark color rather than the lighter color (Argent silver? )

One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

hemi68charger

The underside has been sprayed.. There's black paint all over the Emergency brake cable and fuel/brake lines...........

Very nice car nonetheless, regardless of price....... I really like V88 '69's........
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Dino

'This car is 1 of a kind originally purchased in Utica N.Y.where it still remains, never been painted original 17,818 miles meticulously cared for. I am the 3rd owner, both previous owners lived in Utica also. This car has a history in this small city and both previous owners like myself just garaged the car and never used it. I purchased the car in 1989 with 15000 miles on it and only put 3000 miles on it since then.'

Somebody please buy this thing and drive it!!!  Less than 18,000 miles in 43 years.  He can almost sell it as NOS, he certainly has the price to match it.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

JB400

Is it actually 18,000 or 118,000 with a paint job?  I'm too far away to find out.  I don't have the kaching either

Dino

Well it certainly looks like an almost new car.  Seat foam is good, no rust on the gauges at all.  Either this car was stored in a humidity controlled environnment for the majority of its life or this is one hell of a scam.

Either way it's a very nice car, I just don't see what the deal is with all this survivor stuff and I think the price is a bit out there but it's probably worth it to someone who cares about its status.

charge69

What Troy said about the underside paint! Nice car but I would not give anywhere near 75K for it. FWIW , the engine and other parts have been painted. The original H-pipe has also been replaced for sure.  As an aside, this Charger has a 22" radiator and is an auto, no A/C car. Certainly right as the buildsheet confirms this.

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Claims to be a original paint survivor, paint looks so nice, I do not know, good looking car, look like original exhaust except the flowmasters, some areas look repainted to me (like fender tag/screws, motor to name a couple areas to me).  Pricey in this market maybe, but if truly really all that & that original paint maybe worth it to someone (go find another black survivor RT).  Wasn't there another black RT up in the NY area in that price range but was repainted?   

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodge-Charger-RT-1969-Dodge-Charger-R-T-440-Magnum-4-Barrel-100-Unrestored-s-Matching-Car-Nice-/221166469102?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item337e8c7fee#ht_500wt_1104

Enough of that car is different, I would question its originality. The grille is too dark, the underside and engine compartment, as others have said...

Frankly, for 1/3 the price, this one is a much better car, and definitely a survivor: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,74322.0.html    :Twocents:

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on December 20, 2012, 12:01:38 PM
Is it actually 18,000 or 118,000 with a paint job?  I'm too far away to find out.  

:scratchchin:

hemi68charger

Quote from: Dino on December 20, 2012, 12:03:19 PM
..., I just don't see what the deal is with all this survivor stuff and I think the price is a bit out there but it's probably worth it to someone who cares about its status.

I have owned a survivor '71 Charger R/T once ( bought it from the original owner ). There IS something about an unrestored car that's in excellent shape. Now, if one's into modified cars with headers, aftermarket carbs, mag wheels, etc,.. then a survivor doesn't mean a thing....  Now, would I pay that sort of money over and beyond a restored-OEM car? Well, that depends on the car and the level of originality...... Survivors are awesome references as well for the OEM-crowd......
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

Dino

Quote from: hemi68charger on December 20, 2012, 01:51:16 PM
Quote from: Dino on December 20, 2012, 12:03:19 PM
..., I just don't see what the deal is with all this survivor stuff and I think the price is a bit out there but it's probably worth it to someone who cares about its status.

I have owned a survivor '71 Charger R/T once ( bought it from the original owner ). There IS something about an unrestored car that's in excellent shape. Now, if one's into modified cars with headers, aftermarket carbs, mag wheels, etc,.. then a survivor doesn't mean a thing....  Now, would I pay that sort of money over and beyond a restored-OEM car? Well, that depends on the car and the level of originality...... Survivors are awesome references as well for the OEM-crowd......

I agree that they are great references.  I can see your point though, it is pretty rare to see an actual untouched car from that vintage.  I just don't see how it can be worth so much more than a car that was restored to factory specs.  Well, unless you own a museum of course.  :icon_smile_big:

I'm also quite bitter when it comes to survivor cars or rarities due to the misrepresentation and utter fraud.  I think there's more R/T's and Daytonas out there then they ever made!  Bitterness on my part means I'm biased so I shouldn't comment but too late now!   :lol:

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: Dino on December 20, 2012, 02:08:24 PM
I just don't see how it can be worth so much more than a car that was restored to factory specs. 

Seeing as no one bought it when it was advertised before & there are zero bids on it now, it's plain to see that it's grossly overpriced.

Dino

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on December 20, 2012, 02:17:17 PM
I just don't see how it can be worth so much more than a car that was restored to factory specs. 

Seeing as no one bought it when it was advertised before & there are zero bids on it now, it's plain to see that it's grossly overpriced.

Right and so are many others of its ilk.

Question is though, what IS a real world price for one of these?  Members here are always all over the place when it comes to value, and that's on cars we see all the time.  I don't think I've ever seen a trible black survivor IF that's what this is.

hemi68charger

I'm also quite bitter when it comes to survivor cars or rarities due to the misrepresentation and utter fraud.  I think there's more R/T's and Daytonas out there then they ever made!  Bitterness on my part means I'm biased so I shouldn't comment but too late now!   :lol:

Hate to say it, but that's when it is up to the individual to teach themselves what is correct and what isn't. That can only happen with time and exposure to true cars. Of course, you have to develop a friendship or acquintance-base to trust what people teach/say..... Given that, one can make informed and wise decisions. The term itself has been throw around like candy and OFTEN misused....
Troy

Ghoste

Barn find and survivor have become more abused than ground up restoration.

Back N Black

Survivor, means it needs everything.  :pity: My car is a survivor, so i decided to restore it. :Twocents:

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Quote from: Ghoste on December 20, 2012, 02:45:03 PM
Barn find and survivor have become more abused than ground up restoration.

Like I said, the brown Charger R/T from a year ago was a great deal, esp. when I went back to that thread and saw this pic of the car, all cleaned up  :drool5: :drool5: :drool5:

Ghoste

I fully agree, that car looks great.  I just wish others would list their cars as honestly.

XS29LA47V21

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on December 19, 2012, 03:29:20 PM
look like original exhaust except the flowmasters,

I spy a repro 2 piece H-pipe. The door sill plates are too shiny to be 43 years old & obviously, the engine had been repainted. Nice car, but it's far from being a time capsule.

:hah:  Wasn't looking clearly was I, indeed repro H-pipe.  Here is one out of a 440 car of mine which I believe to be "original H-pipe" for ref.

Photos sometime can be tough, but often will tell you what you want to know (or perceive) if you see enough clear photos and at specific areas.  Like noted above, it's hard not have some amount road rash at the back lower quarter and the paint is so shiny this car and does not seem to have that nice old car "look" like the bronze above has... a look with the old acrylic. 

So the consensus is it is repainted and many parts replaced?  That's what I think I see :Twocents:

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Quote from: Ghoste on December 21, 2012, 06:23:07 AM
I fully agree, that car looks great.  I just wish others would list their cars as honestly.

Yeah,

Given the ad and some of the comments on the brown charger, maybe folks passed on the car because they thought it was too far gone. But I saw the car at Carlisle and it looked great, even the chrome looked near perfect, except for a few spots on the rear bumper.

As I recall, the ebay ad for that car was pretty straightforward. The ad for the black car, I am a bit skeptical, but trying hard to believe what's written. And I like black chargers, really!! :Twocents: