News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Edelbrock 1407 running rich

Started by Mar10n83, December 18, 2012, 08:51:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mar10n83

Hi

Just got my first 1970 Charger.
The eingine is a 440 with Edelbrock CH4B intake and a Edelbrock 1407 carb.
The guy i got the car from told me it was running too rich, and i dont think it performs that well...

Question is, how can i fix this? I'm fairly new to carb adjusting so please be gentle :P

Regards
Martin from Norway :D

Dino

Martin, I have the same carb and I refer to it as my paperweight.  Mine runs rich at idle, so rich that it'll burn your eyes when you're near the car, and it runs lean on WOT.  The one thing I like about the carb is that you never have to touch it once dialed in but yeah it doesn't perform all that great (ironic for a 'performer').  Edelbrock does sell a tune up kit for these and I've heard it does help.  If you're sticking with that carb then I'd get the kit but if you have access to something else you may consider doing so.  If you want to stay with Edelbrock, I hear the Thunder series is a much better carb.  Most people here swear by Holleys and Proforms.

You can also find videos on how to adjust the carb on youtube.

Good intake manifold though.

Oh and welcome to the board!
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

HPP

Go to the Edelbrock web site and download the owners manual for your carb. They outline the process for tuning them. It really isn't too difficult and I really like the way you can fine tune the Ebrocks for cruise and power circuits. Ebrocks use  jets, rods, step up springs, and shooters like other carbs, so the pricipal isn't radically different, but if you are unfmailair with it, it might seem intimidating. read the manual, it will help youunderstand the best way to proceed.

Mar10n83

Thanks a bunch  ;D is there any other carbs that will be a better alternative than the one i've got?
I think the engine is pretty stock, atleast the seller didn't mention any mods...

mhinders

This is a tool that will tell you exactly how your engine is running. I'm using it myself, highly recommended.

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/MTXL.php

Martin in Sweden... ;D
Martin
Dodge Charger 1967, 512 cui, E85, MegaSquirt MS3X sequential ignition and injection

Mar10n83

Nice, but i supose i need two? One for each hedder?

Cooter

Quote from: Mar10n83 on December 18, 2012, 11:45:18 AM
Nice, but i supose i need two? One for each hedder?

Yep unless you have a "Y" pipe and single exhaust.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

mhinders

Quote from: Mar10n83 on December 18, 2012, 11:45:18 AM
Nice, but i suppose i need two? One for each hedder?
No, I haven't seen any need for 2. If you have a dual system with no X crossover you can always do one measurement per exhaust pipe.
A fixed installation is not really needed in a standard engine, you just use it to tune your carbs. I'm using my lambda-sensor for my motorcycles as well, and I will also use it to check the combustion in the wood burner (for heating the house).
I have a scrap metal pipe where I have welded in the bung for the lambda sensor in the side of the pipe. Wrapping the pipe in old rags to make it air tight and just plug it into the exhaust pipe. Easy.
And, you can connect it to your laptop and record what's happening when you give it the lead-foot up a steep hill... 
Martin
Dodge Charger 1967, 512 cui, E85, MegaSquirt MS3X sequential ignition and injection

Mar10n83

Ok. Have'nt been under the car yet, so i have no idea if it has a true dual or H/X crossover...
I do have a complete wideband lambda kit here somewhere, so maby i should give it a try :D

greenpigs

I guess you checked the float level..they are bad for being off.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

chargerrtmikey

I had a 1407 brand new that had a pin hole in one of the floats, everyone I have talked to about this carb has been negative and all seem to run rich.Cant beat a Holley 750 double pumper 

charlie45

Clearly I'm aware that by putting a crate Hemi in there, doesn't make it compare to an original 426 RT car.

My point is merely that when you are dropping 20-30K in a car like this, you obviously consider what will enhance the "re-sale value" to some extent.

I've done enough car projects to know that you're not going to get your money out of something like this... The question is much more does it make sense to spend a few extra grand on a Hemi 528 versus a 500 Stroker, and would the Hemi hold the value better and make the car more sought after...?