News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How many of us are gun owners???????????????????????????????????????????????????

Started by skip68, December 18, 2012, 10:48:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How many here are gun owners?

YES-forever
73 (73%)
NO-never
15 (15%)
Not yet but getting one
8 (8%)
Yes but getting rid of it (them)
4 (4%)

Total Members Voted: 100

Voting closed: December 25, 2012, 10:48:07 PM

cdr

Quote from: twodko on December 28, 2012, 10:46:41 PM
John K is spot on, The 2A is there for the people to defend against the tyranny of the government. No question in my mind.

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Steve P.

Moving to the US does not mean you have to buy a gun to protect yourself. The NRA may want you to believe that, but it's far from true..

A better question would have been HOW MANY OF YOU GUN OWNERS HAVE HAD TO USE A GUN TO PROTECT YOURSELF...

My 2X-great grandfather had his gun strapped to his leg and a shotgun in a holster of sorts on his horse. As he rode away from his land toward town he was shot in the back 3 times and robbed... He was a doctor with no enemies at all.. Most paid him with whatever they had. He was left to die next to the road...

56 year old neighbor was helping out a woman. Drove her to her parents house where she lived and her estranged husband shot first and asked questions later. He was a decorated Vietnam Vet. helping out a friend.

Vegasmike, (member here), went to work one day and came home to his back door wide open. Yup, his gun was gone among a few other things. The cops took it off a guy using it in a robbery just a few weeks later...

I kid I grew up with lost one of his eyes to a ricochet and a buddy down the street's older brother took a 30/06* to himself when heartbroke.. (15-16) years old I think..

Another buddy's father had some really small palm fitting gun he always had on him. One day he was pulling something out of his pocket while holding the pocket down with his other hand, shot his other hand..... I think he was digging for a carb part for his ultralight.

At 17 years old I was already graduated from HS. I worked 2 part time jobs as no one would hire me full time at 17. So I worked in Sears automotive and at night at the Mobile station across the street from Sears.. One night I was filling a tank and just as it was about to stop I turned right into the barrel of a hand gun.. For 20 fucking dollars this SOB stuck a gun in my face and threatened my life.. There was a gun inside. I knew right where it was and how to use it.. Problem was, I was not willing to shoot into the road with others driving by and really didn't think it was worth taking his life or the woman in the car with him.... He was busted less than a week later and put in jail..

I also know a cop friend that shot and killed a man in the line of duty and for months could not deal with it. He went to a parking lot and swallowed his gun.. 

Someone said they never hear of accidents. Well, these are just the ones that I know of that in a way relate to me...

There are reasons why we have laws and why this country is not all WILD WILD WEST anymore.... 

This is my .02   
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

skip68

I hear you Steve.  There's always going to be good and bad with guns but I feel the good outweighs the bad.   I've been glad to have a gun on me several times.  It's a nice persuader.   Then again, I lived rural most my life with help 30 to 45 minutes away.   I would hope to never have to use it but to save my family I'd do it without a thought like putting down a dying horse or coyote. 
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Drache

Quote from: Steve P. on December 29, 2012, 12:53:57 AM
A better question would have been HOW MANY OF YOU GUN OWNERS HAVE HAD TO USE A GUN TO PROTECT YOURSELF...  

Legally not allow to answer that...  :rotz:
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Steve P.

Well, I told you about having a gun shoved in my face. I just came across this and bet 99% of you would not think this would be what happens. It is.... Maybe a few of you have real TRAINING, but I bet not most of you..

http://www.upworthy.com/the-nra-thinks-more-guns-are-the-answer-bless-their-hearts-then-watch-this?c=upw1

Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

JB400

The only problem I have with guns is not the guns themselves, but the gun owners.  There are quite a few that make irrational decisions to answer a rational problem.  Yes, I've looked down the business end of 2 9mm's at the same time only because I was moving a car.

stripedelete

Quote from: Steve P. on December 29, 2012, 04:01:42 AM
Well, I told you about having a gun shoved in my face. I just came across this and bet 99% of you would not think this would be what happens. It is.... Maybe a few of you have real TRAINING, but I bet not most of you..

http://www.upworthy.com/the-nra-thinks-more-guns-are-the-answer-bless-their-hearts-then-watch-this?c=upw1

In all fairness they make a point.  But, mask, gloves and very young?  How about a version with a 50 year old , no mask, no gloves walking out to his/her car in Detriot south of 8 Mile? :shruggy:

Paul G

It is an ABC news piece, Diane Sawyer, one of the biggest anti gun lib's in the country, they slant everything they do in there favor. Sure put a giant helmet/mask on someone, put a giant super long t-shirt on them, and what a surprise, cant draw the weapon. A swat team officer could not get out a weapon with that shirt on sitting in a chair. What is this supposed to prove other than Diane Sawyer and ABC news stack the deck in there favor.
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

oldgold69

nbc news reported 4 hand guns found in the school and the bushmaster was left in the moms car 

Paul G

1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.

skip68

:rofl: I saw that and started laughing.  They want to get rid of long kitchen knives now.    :smilielol: ::)   That will stop the killers.     ::)
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

John_Kunkel

Quote from: Steve P. on December 29, 2012, 12:53:57 AM
Moving to the US does not mean you have to buy a gun to protect yourself. The NRA may want you to believe that, but it's far from true..

Every monthly issue of NRA's American Rifleman magazine has a whole page of incidents where armed citizens have protected themselves from bad guys...and they only have one page in each issue dedicated to such reports so how many like incidents go unreported? Kinda trumps your measly handful.

QuoteThere are reasons why we have laws and why this country is not all WILD WILD WEST anymore.... 

Pardon me for citing the obvious, but laws only apply to those who are "law-abiding" and there's way too many that aren't; all too often, depending on the LEO's for your safety gets you a plot of ground and a granite marker. Some places in this country ARE akin to the wild west.

QuoteThis is my .02   

I know, and that's it's value.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

skip68

There's an acceptable amount of loss that has always been here and always will be.  We have to expect it and do our best to lesson it.  Guns are tools that we can never get rid of.  Billions around the world already and more being made every day.   These tools are used for good and bad but mostly good.  Since we cannot get rid of these tools, taking them from the good only leaves the bad.  And that will only get worse.   

Budnicks

Quote from: skip68 on December 29, 2012, 02:53:16 PM
There's an acceptable amount of loss that has always been here and always will be.  We have to expect it and do our best to lesson it.  Guns are tools that we can never get rid of.  Billions around the world already and more being made every day.   These tools are used for good and bad but mostly good.  Since we cannot get rid of these tools, taking them from the good only leaves the bad.  And that will only get worse.   
very well said skippy...
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

LaOtto70Charger

But shouldn't the desire be to elminate the need for those tools and leave them in the past?

Indygenerallee

My grandfather had a break into his cabin about 20 years ago on the 2nd floor he was asleep downstairs and heard the rustling (Thieves were looking for Christmas presents)
this was about 1:30 A.M. he said he grabbed his .380 and sat on the side of the staircase he said the minute the guy came down the stairs he flipped the light on and he said he literally blinded himself and the intruder, he held the guy at gun point and told him that if anyone else were to come down those stairs that he would be a dead man, lucky for this guy the other guy that was with him bailed out the window and fled, cops arrived about 10 minutes later and the thief was arrested. How would the situation ended if my grandfather not had his pistol by his side!? One can only guess. but I would say much different and he may have died there that night, instead nobody died and justice was served.
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

skip68

Quote from: LaOtto70Charger on December 29, 2012, 04:26:44 PM
But shouldn't the desire be to elminate the need for those tools and leave them in the past?

Well, when we no longer need prisons and police then we won't need weapons. 

skip68

Quote from: stripedelete on December 29, 2012, 05:00:48 PM
Was the thief armed?

Can't speak for him but I look at it like this.   If a thief is willing to come into my home while I'm there I'm going to presume he's armed. 

Paul G

Quote from: skip68 on December 29, 2012, 05:26:38 PM
Quote from: stripedelete on December 29, 2012, 05:00:48 PM
Was the thief armed?

Can't speak for him but I look at it like this.   If a thief is willing to come into my home while I'm there I'm going to presume he's armed. 

Or is not afraid of what I might do. Hurting me to escape is already an option for him or he would not have entered my home with me there. A weapon is the great equalizer. Grandpa could be 50 or 80, with a weapon in his hand age or physical condition does not matter, all things will be equal.   

skip68

Paul G

Quote from: skip68 on December 29, 2012, 06:48:00 PM
"God made man, Sam Colt made them equal".................... :icon_smile_wink:

You better betcha he did.

Almost forgot what this thread was even about.

Got a new Glock 30 SF yesterday. Went with some buds in to the desert and put a couple boxes of .45 cal through it. One hell of a nice gun! It is my first Glock, wont be my last

Tilar

Upworthy.com?  They are a spin-off of Moveon.org and The onion. You can't get any further left than them.  That's almost like quoting Chris Matthews, no credibility.  :smilielol:
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

twodko

All well considered and salient points all of you have made. While I really dislike cliches "the reality" is humans are a violent and warring species, its just our nature.
The 2A was designed by our founders and forefathers to give the people the means to defend the themselves against tyranny by the government.
This idea was as well intentioned then as it is now, however our country, our people, the dynamics of daily life and the societal standards of modern times make the 2A less reassuring as it was meant to be.
We are no longer represented by leadership elected by the people, we are at the mercy of big money special interest corporate America and an abortion called the electoral college.
Were we to get so fed up with this national BS that we are forced to make change by way of an armed popular uprising the "government" would spew sedition against any and all of us who would dare challenge their authority. The resulting uprising would be a blood bath of eventual global proportions of the likes never imagined.

This is only my opinion which could quite possibly be flawed.....but I choose to remain armed and not have the chance to use it rather than die meekly at the hands of those ho would subvert all that I believe in.

FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Tilar

You are right, The 2A was designed by our founders and forefathers to give the people the means to defend the themselves against tyranny by the government.  And there is a strong possibility that if the government trys to ban guns or change the 2A, they will likely trigger the very thing they are trying to avoid.  :Twocents:
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.