News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Fighting air..

Started by Brutalowner, October 17, 2012, 10:45:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brutalowner

Does anyone have OE specs OR race specs for the frontal area of the 69 Daytona? Looks like the agreed drag coefficient is .28 (OE), but I've been looking in all the wrong places for the area numbers :rotz: Could really use this to help determine HP needs at speed..
Thanks!
69 Charger
68 Coronet R/T 440/727
57 300C 392 H word
76 W250 Crew 5.9Magnum 5spd
76 RC 440 4spd

Ghoste

If it isn't in a thread somewhere on the aero forum, try the winged warriors website.

Brutalowner

Tried that. Aero warriors has alot of info: downforce front and rear, drag coefficient, rear window specs, etc. Nothing that I found on frontal area. Since I don't own one (yet) to measure... :scratchchin:
  I thought with all the knowledge usually posted here, someone might know off the top of their head.
69 Charger
68 Coronet R/T 440/727
57 300C 392 H word
76 RC 440 4spd

Ghoste

One of the old magazines used to publish that kind of info with their road tests,, I'll look tonight and see if I have one that has the Daytona in it.

JB400

Why not just ask one of these guys on here for measurements?  Or have them make a paper template of their nose and then mail it to you.  Beats pulling your hair out looking for the info.

Brutalowner

Stroker, I dunno what you said in that last post, all I could see was that video in your sig... DAAAANG!!!! LOL!

From what I read on LSR related threads on other sites, the frontal area is the silhouette of the car, if you were in front of it looking toward it. There are many references to backing the car up to a wall and shining a light from the front to back. Then outlining the shadow created, so area can be determined. Sounds like a real PITA, but seems logical..
   Ghoste, that would be really cool. Thanks for looking. 
69 Charger
68 Coronet R/T 440/727
57 300C 392 H word
76 RC 440 4spd

JB400

I misunderstood what it was you was looking for. But now I know, here is where you can get your info.

http://carspector.com/car/plymouth/047704/

Hope this covers what your looking for.

As far as my sig, thank you. :2thumbs:  I didn't know the general could look so good.  JS don't look bad at all either. :drool5: :drool5: :drool5:  If it does affend anyone though, give me a sig that is charger related I can stick there.  I don't have no picture accounts on any other sites.

Ghoste

It's from a family movie so isn't it?  It can't be that bad. :angel:

JB400

I didn't think so either, but I've had one complaint.  I told him what I mentioned before, If you don't like it, show me where I can get another one.

Best thing is, if you click on my sig,  it'll show you how I got it.

Brutalowner

Thanks Stroker!! The link to the Superbird ought to get me close enough. I could not find a page on the 'Tona. 
Between your sig vid and that link, my life is now complete!! :ricky:
Now I can get this thing built on paper.
69 Charger
68 Coronet R/T 440/727
57 300C 392 H word
76 RC 440 4spd

JB400

Glad to help :2thumbs:

Sit back and enjoy miss Simpson for awhile :drool5: :drool5:

Brutalowner

OK, so now I'm on-line, looking for software to play with concerning the aero changes/modifications to my Daytona. I have a scale accurate drawing of what it's race trim will look like. I'm looking for a "cut and paste" style program that will allow me to load my silhouette drawing into a virtual wind tunnel to verify downforce/lift, underhood air management, etc.
I found one or two programs, but they seem to be smarter than I.
  Anybody out there have any experience in this area?
69 Charger
68 Coronet R/T 440/727
57 300C 392 H word
76 RC 440 4spd

JB400

I wish I knew more in this area, but I think your best bet would be to make friends with someone in Nasa or Northrup

Brutalowner

I was hoping Glotzbach or Rathgeb........ :2thumbs:
69 Charger
68 Coronet R/T 440/727
57 300C 392 H word
76 RC 440 4spd

cdr

THIS IS NOT AS detailed but we have used it & it helped.

http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/aerohpcalc.html
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Brutalowner

Quote from: cdr on January 04, 2013, 03:23:19 PM
THIS IS NOT AS detailed but we have used it & it helped.

http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/aerohpcalc.html

Yes, that's a good one. Used it quite a bit for general use on a late model Challenger awhile back.
  I need to "see" what happens, if I were to reintroduce the underhood air into the boundary layer at different points from the center of the hood, to say, just before the cowl (among other mods). I'm in the wrong part of the Country to have a local wind tunnel facility, and if I did, couldn't afford it anyway!  :brickwall:
69 Charger
68 Coronet R/T 440/727
57 300C 392 H word
76 RC 440 4spd