News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

SRT-8 into 68-70 Charger

Started by Boof05, December 18, 2012, 08:29:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boof05

G'day Guys,

Has anyone attempted this? I know there are a few out there.

Just wondering if anyone has any tips and tricks

Thanks
"It takes a Mopar to catch a Mopar".

1970Moparmann

My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

Rolling_Thunder

Yes,  Pete (Autodynamics) and I have put 6.1L hemis into Chargers.       

1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Paul G

I have done a lot of research on this topic. I considered putting a gen III hemi in my 72. It is still a small block so you will need a small block trans unless you use the trans with the donor hemi. I have not found anyone making a stand alone trans controller for a Mopar trans. A 46RH is an overdrive tranny and does not need a controller. Just need a separate box to convert the accelerator pedal movement to electronic signal with trans kick down. They are out there. 

You will need a big block style radiator, electric fans, engine mounts, electronic gas pedal from the donor car, adapted flex plate if going automatic, FI fuel system, engine controller or send out the OEM computer for a reflash, headers and exhaust. Plus probably a few more items.

Plum Floored Creations lists a Hemi swap kit that has everything except headers I think, for around $5000, plus the cost of the donor engine. I have read that the newer PS pumps are too high of pressure for the old steering box. They say a GM style pump will work. Don't know for sure. 

1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

Challenger340

Just curious....
whats the big attraction to the Gen 3 HEMI's in the older cars ?
The Fuel Injection ?
The way they run ?

Only wimps wear Bowties !

Paul G

400 + horse, 20 mpg, turn the key and go, excellent drivability, light weight, very high cool factor with the hood open.
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.

Boof05

The turn key performance and the reliability
"It takes a Mopar to catch a Mopar".

Challenger340

Quote from: Paul G on December 21, 2012, 08:02:31 AM
400 + horse, 20 mpg, turn the key and go, excellent drivability, light weight, very high cool factor with the hood open.

Certainly can't argue with the 20mpg....nor the driveability....

But IMO, 425 HP is pretty anemic considering the conversion headaches compared with any decent old school build ?
Even a .030 over 360 can top that these days.

Only wimps wear Bowties !

johnnyseville

Anyone buying these olders cars should not be interested in gas mileage.  The maintenance of these older engines is as easy as you can get, try solving a problem with the computerized fuel injection systems on the newer car.  With donor engine and kit to swap you can pick up an original HEMI which has a real WOW factor, just my opionion, I would never do that.
too many to list!

Paul G

There is more to it than what meets the eye. A gen III Hemi transpalnt is not an easy conversion. It is a challenge to figure it all out, install it, and have it all work flawlessly. That is what makes it worth while. Sure you can build a 550 HP RB and drop it in. It is an easy build relatively speaking. And less expensive in most cases. But there are a lot of those, look around at car shows and cruise night. Lots of G code body's with RB engines. How many Gen III Hemi's do you see? It is the challenge that makes it special. And in my case, appropriating the needed $$ will take some time, if I can ever do it. I can say that for street driving a 400 HP engine is not much different than a 500 HP engine. The 500 HP engine will loose traction quicker, and make more tire smoke, which is really cool. With stock suspension on street tires, neither will hook and go.

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: Challenger340 on December 22, 2012, 06:08:05 AM
Quote from: Paul G on December 21, 2012, 08:02:31 AM

Certainly can't argue with the 20mpg....nor the driveability....

But IMO, 425 HP is pretty anemic considering the conversion headaches compared with any decent old school build ?
Even a .030 over 360 can top that these days.

Granted a 360 build could top that but I look at it this way...    A stock 6.1L puts down 425hp...    but throw in headers, CAI, and some tuning you can get about 500hp -- change a cam and it goes even higher....         

What would it cost for you to build a 360, aluminum heads, sequential EFI, make say 525hp and still get over 20mpg...     

The argument of people buying these cars shouldnt care about mileage is like saying you should buy one only to have a completely stock car...    doing this engine swap is no different than adding disc brakes or more comfortable seats....    just because you have something doesnt mean you can't / shouldn't try to improve it to the best of your ability.   

polywideblock

does anybody do this swap to 833 4 speed instead of auto?

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

thedodgeboys

Quote from: polywideblock on December 25, 2012, 03:28:24 AM

Yes any small block mopar trans will work but most opt to go with a 5 or 6 speed for the overdrive instead.

Why do the swap?
Its depends what you want for your car, like everything else build what you want and enjoy your car.

JB400

On a side note, I like the coil covers you have on the Challenger :2thumbs:  One offs or can anybody get those from a vendor?

Paul G

Quote from: thedodgeboys on December 25, 2012, 11:01:31 AM

Yes any small block mopar trans will work but most opt to go with a 5 or 6 speed for the overdrive instead.

Why do the swap?
Its depends what you want for your car, like everything else build what you want and enjoy your car.

As I stated earlier about the power steering pump being too high of pressure to work with the old system. Is that true, or did you use the Hemi PS pump with the Chally steering box?

Rolling_Thunder

In all honesty - ANY manual transmission swap would be the same -  I am using a Tremec 5-speed but the tuning would be the same as an 833....      I am going up to a T56 in the near future - so yes...     any manual trans will work just fine

polywideblock

interesting thought  for the RR, its 340/4 speed so theory says it should be a fairly strait forward swap. with the"right "conversion "kit" right? Phil

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

Dino

Quote from: johnnyseville on December 22, 2012, 09:08:50 AM
Anyone buying these olders cars should not be interested in gas mileage. 

I hear that a lot but it doesn't apply to all, me being one of them.  I drive my car a lot and fill it up about once a week.  Gas mileage is not important if you drive it on Sundays alone but anything more it becomes an issue.  I don't expect super high numbers with a 440 but barely getting 10 mpg is ridiculous.   :eek2:

I would love efi and 20 mpg soulds like a dream, but I doubt I'd get my money out of it doing a swap like that.  I also don't think it's that much cooler than a 440 and would actually find the 440 the 'cooler' one of the two but dang it has one hell of a drinking problem!   :lol:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Paul G

Quote from: Dino on December 26, 2012, 11:51:10 AM

I hear that a lot but it doesn't apply to all, me being one of them.  I drive my car a lot and fill it up about once a week.  Gas mileage is not important if you drive it on Sundays alone but anything more it becomes an issue.  I don't expect super high numbers with a 440 but barely getting 10 mpg is ridiculous.   :eek2:

I would love efi and 20 mpg soulds like a dream, but I doubt I'd get my money out of it doing a swap like that.  I also don't think it's that much cooler than a 440 and would actually find the 440 the 'cooler' one of the two but dang it has one hell of a drinking problem!   :lol:

My 73 440 would get 8 on a good day. The 72 360 I have now got 10, with the overdrive in it I am now getting 12. Buying gas sucks.

Dino

Quote from: Paul G on December 26, 2012, 01:32:05 PM
Quote from: Dino on December 26, 2012, 11:51:10 AM

My 73 440 would get 8 on a good day. The 72 360 I have now got 10, with the overdrive in it I am now getting 12. Buying gas sucks.

Geez I thought yours would do a lot better than that!  Is that 12 mpg as good as it gets or are you still going sideways at that time?   :lol:

Good to know you got 2 mpg more with the od. 

Paul G

Those mpg numbers are all in town driving. It will get 14 if all highway. I expected better mpg, but the Holley 750 thinks otherwise i guess.

Dino

You have a 750 on a 360?  I take it this is not a stock block?

I wouldn't mind 14 hwy.  I'm hoping I can get mine a little better but first I'll have to get some tires that are higher than what I have now and I really need to either find a 508 trans or find a manual 5 speed I can make fit.  As smooth as that 727 runs, I can't stand having only 3 gears.  What is this?  1969?  Oh wait a minute...nevermind.

thedodgeboys

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on December 25, 2012, 11:05:45 AM
On a side note, I like the coil covers you have on the Challenger :2thumbs:  One offs or can anybody get those from a vendor?

Thanks :) they are from Billet teck http://www.custombilletstore.com/Billet_Valve_Covers_p/100456.htm