News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Not many sellers seem to be able to write an ad these days.

Started by Homerr, December 16, 2012, 08:28:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Homerr

Do people actually want to sell their car or are they self-sabotaging?  Are ads just too easy with craigslist?  Are photos really a challenge to post?

Seems there are several types of things going on here, a few examples -

1.  "I'm thinking about selling my Charger and...
a.  ...I'm taking offers." 
b.  ...I want $30,000 for my restorable rustbucket."
Maybe a year, motor, trans are mentioned.

=====

2.  "I can't seem to put enough info in an ad (let alone photos) to interest a potential buyer."

Quote1969 CHARGER - $21000
1969 dodge charger roughly 70% restored needs to be finished. auto metal direct sheet metal on the car except for doors,rockers and roof. new disk brakes, emblems,handles,hemi motor mounts from shumacker racing. fuel tank,super stock springs this is a complete car except for drive train. i have a 68 charger that goes with it. it had been picked over but still some good parts left on it. pics by request. please dont waste my time kickin tires.this price is firm!
http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/cto/3408991086.html

I feel a little more confused after reading this ad.  And if you don't want tire kickers then add more info and pics!  UGH!

=====

3.  Complete fail of information, trying to sell 2 cars apparently?

1978 Trans am 1969 Charger - $11500

The 1978 Gold Edidtion Transam

This is a 1978 Trans Am (Gold Edition).

400 with auto trans

Tan interior

Has gold tinted T Tops

Gold Bird and Tan Interior and WS6 rims.

Runs and drives perfect and paint is a driver quality.
http://fayetteville.craigslist.org/cto/3389350078.html

=====

A photo really is worth a thousand words and some ads have so few words that even crappy cell phone pics the size of thumbnails would make the ad 10x more palatable!

There are some great ads here and there, I especially like the 'here's specifically what it is, this is specifically what I've done to it, this is specifically what is left to do' type ads - with plenty of pics! 

1974dodgecharger

It makes me laugh the most when folks tell you something retared liked, 'once you finish this project this car will triple in value' even on Egay they say this  :smilielol:

kikgas01

NO LOWBALLERS, TIRE KICKERS OR JOYRIDERS LMFAO!!!!! SO, so tired of seeing this over and over and over and over and over and over and over.........and over.....

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: aussiemuscle on December 16, 2012, 11:02:33 PM
:rofl:
"this is a complete car except for drive train."
:smilielol:

I love that one also.....especially when they say also something like, 'Great daily driver once you get a engine and tranny'

stripedelete

Quote from: kikgas01 on December 16, 2012, 11:10:40 PM
NO LOWBALLERS, TIRE KICKERS OR JOYRIDERS LMFAO!!!!! SO, so tired of seeing this over and over and over and over and over and over and over.........and over.....

Agreed!  And add NO SCAMMERS.  I always picture some shady eastern European "boiler room" with some guy in front of a computer hitting his fist on the table and saying "Damn, no scammers".

NO LOWBALLERS seems to always be included when they want 3 times what it's worth.

And what's SERIOUS BUYERS ONLY.  Do you have to show up with a certified check to even look at the overpriced POS? 

I rarely respond to ads with the NO, NO, NO tag line.

Ghoste

And if you are afraid to put the price in your ad, that tells me you already know you are trying to rape me.

1974dodgecharger

one day im gonna put a joke ad in there for a 68 charger and say the stupid things in the ad see if I get respones  :brickwall:

Mytur Binsdirti

The dumbing down of America continues. There's a whole generation of people coming up who really don't talk to one another and who don't know how to form a complete sentence; their only real form of communication is the short-cut writing of texting. You can start to see some of those literary geniuses here and it's only bound to get worse.

Ghoste

Yes, the texting is an epidemic and its nauseating to see the incredible number of people who can't use capital letters, punctuation, proper spelling or even basic sentence structure.  Whats worse is that they absolutely don't care to even make an effort to learn.

stripedelete

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on December 17, 2012, 07:37:32 AM
The dumbing down of America continues. There's a whole generation of people coming up who really don't talk to one another and who don't know how to form a complete sentence; their only real form of communication is the short-cut writing of texting. You can start to see some of those literary geniuses here and it's only bound to get worse.

Carefull there buddy.   You might damage their self esteem.

bakerhillpins

Quote from: Ghoste on December 17, 2012, 07:51:45 AM
Yes, the texting is an epidemic and its nauseating to see the incredible number of people who can't use capital letters, punctuation, proper spelling or even basic sentence structure.  Whats worse is that they absolutely don't care to even make an effort to learn.

Little wonder why there is a shortage of skilled labor in this country.
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

billfury

4 sale 69 chrgr rt # matchin car. moto an tran long gone.some rust but not bad.needs floors rear fenders roof front fenders hood missing all glass.good solid car.i have seen worser.if intier interestre if want to buy call me.Will be nice wen dun. pix is not the car but what it looks like when dun.leave a phone numE'erber or email and I'll call you back.

Homerr

Punctuation, paragraphs, capitals!
Quote1970 DODGE CHARGER R/T - $23500
selling a 1970 DODGE CHARGER R/T not a clone I have build sheet and window sticker and pappers signed by the orginal owner this car was sold new in Novenber of 1969 in West Palm Beach Florida I the papers signed by the owner at the dealership from Ziebart done to the car this car does not have a motor after I put the motor in the car I found out that the block had a couple cracks in it and they are not fixable it has a new interior in it that I bought from year one and as you can it has a lot of other parts as well that I got from year one. If you have any questions call me at 815-623-7534 if I don't answer please leave a message and I will get back to you have a great day.

ALLCAPS!
Quote1968 DODGE CHARGER 383 AUTO IN FLOOR - $3250
THIS IS 1968 DODGE CHARGER THAT WILL NEED A TOTAL RESTORATION DONE THIS IS NOT A FATHER AND SON PROJECT IT IS MISSING THE ENGINE AND TRANY IT WILL NEED ALL PANS AND QUARTER SKINS AND REAR FRAME RAILS REPLACED WE ARE A CLASSIC RESTORATION SHOP IF YOU HAVE THE MONEY WE CAN DO ALL OF THIS FOR YOU CALL three eight six-290-2167 WE HAVE AN ENGINE AND TRANY FOR AN ADDITIONAL 1000.00

Fred

Sadly, a sign of the times.  With the exception of a few, do teenagers even know how to spell anymore. Everywhere you look things a misspelt, often deliberately so how are our children suppose to learn.
If something isn't done about it soon, the only thing they will be able to write and read will be text messages.   :Twocents:

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

JB400

Unfortunately, here in the U.S., that is the product of NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND.  Schools don't care about a students' grades, only the money.  If a student isn't able to keep up with the class, they get put into a special program where all they have to do is what they want to do.  Teachers more or less tell them the answers and never give them homework.  If they only do 5 math problems and get them right, they get 100% while the rest of the class has to do 25 problems.  Schools aren't a place of learning anymore, just a business.  Even then, they get half of my personal property taxes.

I will admit that there are teachers that are old school and willing to actually teach a student, even after hours.  But, even these are starting to become few and far between. Thanks to all those teachers that actually do teach students. :2thumbs:  You guys and gals are excellent role models. :2thumbs:

hatersaurusrex

ALLCAPS!
Quote1968 DODGE CHARGER 383 AUTO IN FLOOR - $3250
THIS IS 1968 DODGE CHARGER THAT WILL NEED A TOTAL RESTORATION DONE THIS IS NOT A FATHER AND SON PROJECT IT IS MISSING THE ENGINE AND TRANY IT WILL NEED ALL PANS AND QUARTER SKINS AND REAR FRAME RAILS REPLACED WE ARE A CLASSIC RESTORATION SHOP IF YOU HAVE THE MONEY WE CAN DO ALL OF THIS FOR YOU CALL three eight six-290-2167 WE HAVE AN ENGINE AND TRANY FOR AN ADDITIONAL 1000.00
[/quote]

That same ad has been on there for at least 3 years.   Exact same text in the ad the whole time.   You'd think with no bites they might change the pics and text or set up a photobucket or something.
[ŌŌ]ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ[ŌŌ] = 68
[ŌŌ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ŌŌ] = 69
(ŌŌ)[ƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗ](ŌŌ) = 70

stripedelete

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on December 18, 2012, 12:15:27 AM
Unfortunately, here in the U.S., that is the product of NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND.  Schools don't care about a students' grades, only the money.  If a student isn't able to keep up with the class, they get put into a special program where all they have to do is what they want to do.  Teachers more or less tell them the answers and never give them homework.  If they only do 5 math problems and get them right, they get 100% while the rest of the class has to do 25 problems.  Schools aren't a place of learning anymore, just a business.  Even then, they get half of my personal property taxes.

I will admit that there are teachers that are old school and willing to actually teach a student, even after hours.  But, even these are starting to become few and far between. Thanks to all those teachers that actually do teach students. :2thumbs:  You guys and gals are excellent role models. :2thumbs:

No Child Left Behind has ruined education.  It forces teachers to teach to the test, which I think, is what you are referring to as giving students the answers.  No Child left behind is NOT a product of the schools.  They hate it!  It is a product of politics.  In this case George W. 

Btw, the school still teaches correct English and grammar.  The schools have nothing to do with how students text.    ;)

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: stripedelete on December 18, 2012, 07:43:55 AM

Btw, the school still teaches correct English and grammar.  The schools have nothing to do with how students text.    ;)

But something is happening (or not happening) to make more and more youngsters become literary dopes. On a related note, penmanship is not really being taught at all. As long as a child can scribble something that looks like letters, that's good enough. I have a feeling the same applies for English class.

stripedelete

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on December 18, 2012, 09:33:41 AM
Quote from: stripedelete on December 18, 2012, 07:43:55 AM

But something is happening (or not happening) to make more and more youngsters become literary dopes. On a related note, penmanship is not really being taught at all. As long as a child can scribble something that looks like letters, that's good enough. I have a feeling the same applies for English class.

Can't argue that.   There are a pile of factors to blame (or consider) in and out education.  But, at 80,000 feet they're tough to relate and I'm at an intellectual dead end today.

As far as your last points:  If you only golf at your golf lesson how good of a golfer are you going to be? I'm not talking about more, or, the lack of homework.  Think about it, they socialize/interact via a laptop or smartphone, where they've created their own language.  If you're not interacting face to face, when are you going to practice communicating complete thoughts or be embarrassed by your inability to do so.  Penmenship?  When is last time any us put out a hand written memo? Cursive writing to them is what Latin was to us.  Kids are still taught math, but, the cash register tells them how much change they should give.  :shruggy:

No doubt on the "Dumbing of America".     :2thumbs:   

Kern Dog

The FREE ads have changed everything. Now every assclown with a car posts an ad trolling for bucks.
There REALLY needs to be a better effort made to improve spelling and other grammatical errors with any ad. Too many dipshits using "needs restored", "for sell" and other dumb ass phrases.

Ghoste

That they've created their own texting language for one another is one thing but the fact that they feel entitled to use it on the rest of the world is quite a different one.  They know about proper written communication, they just choose not to use it.  Look at the number on this and other forums that text.  And if you dare mention it to them, you are instantly reminded of their right to post any way they please and if you don't like it, don't read it.  True enough you lazy jackasses but the thing is I CAN'T read it, it gives me a headache to see your poorly spelled, run on sentences.  I don't care if your mommy, your teacher, your doctor or your best bud told you its okay.  It isn't.  If you're selling an item in Italy would you not try to write an ad in Italian?  If selling something in an English speaking country, proper English seems logical. I understand not everyone has the same level of writing ability and many have no clue how spell check works, but you can usually size up who is making an effort and doing the best they can and who is just texting you because they don't give a shit.
Whew, rant off.

Aero426

Dino

Quote from: Ghoste on December 19, 2012, 06:50:34 AM
That they've created their own texting language for one another is one thing but the fact that they feel entitled to use it on the rest of the world is quite a different one.  They know about proper written communication, they just choose not to use it.  Look at the number on this and other forums that text.  And if you dare mention it to them, you are instantly reminded of their right to post any way they please and if you don't like it, don't read it.  True enough you lazy jackasses but the thing is I CAN'T read it, it gives me a headache to see your poorly spelled, run on sentences.  I don't care if your mommy, your teacher, your doctor or your best bud told you its okay.  It isn't.  If you're selling an item in Italy would you not try to write an ad in Italian?  If selling something in an English speaking country, proper English seems logical. I understand not everyone has the same level of writing ability and many have no clue how spell check works, but you can usually size up who is making an effort and doing the best they can and who is just texting you because they don't give a shit.
Whew, rant off.

Well you just saved me from typing all that!  Couldn't agree more.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

JB400

I for one, am glad for the lack of the texting lingo on here.  I greatly appreciate it. :2thumbs: