News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

repro grille surround trim for '68

Started by Mytur Binsdirti, December 16, 2012, 04:55:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mytur Binsdirti

Anybody here bought ityet? If so, is it any good & who's the best supplier?

Thanks!  :2thumbs:

69 OUR/TEA

I had one set of originals re-anodized by Special-T Bills,came out real nice,beleive at the time it was less than $450.Bought a set of repos for another grill I had,speaking about 69 though,the I piece fit well,as the 4 straight pieces did,but the ends,which is what you are asking about,was nothing to brag about.Would be satisfied for a driver/cruise night car,but not on a show piece.So another orig set were done.The ends just don't fit like the originals,most won't notice,but if you are picky like I am, and you had both in hand to fit them on,you will see the difference in how they are contoured/stamped,etc.
I would rather send out the orig pieces,if you don't have,get some and send them out.I do beleive right now on the bay,there are NOS pieces someone is selling.

69 OUR/TEA

And another heads up for you as I see you are putting together your car,would'nt use repo door handles either,sending out my orig after bodywork is done on my doors for rechroming.NTM,using the reinforcment plates behind them as well. :Twocents:

Mytur Binsdirti

I forgot all about Bill's!  :brickwall:  Years ago, I had Bill restore my '64 Belevedere grille & it came out fantastic. I'll give him a call him tomorrow. Thanks!!!!   :2thumbs:  :2thumbs:  :2thumbs:

bill440rt

Quote from: 69 OUR/TEA on December 16, 2012, 05:14:55 PM
I had one set of originals re-anodized by Special-T Bills,came out real nice,beleive at the time it was less than $450.Bought a set of repos for another grill I had,speaking about 69 though,the I piece fit well,as the 4 straight pieces did,but the ends,which is what you are asking about,was nothing to brag about.Would be satisfied for a driver/cruise night car,but not on a show piece.So another orig set were done.The ends just don't fit like the originals,most won't notice,but if you are picky like I am, and you had both in hand to fit them on,you will see the difference in how they are contoured/stamped,etc.
I would rather send out the orig pieces,if you don't have,get some and send them out.I do beleive right now on the bay,there are NOS pieces someone is selling.

:iagree:

I also used the repro trim, on a '69. The straight pieces & center fit good, the end "C's" not so much. They are nice in quality & appearance, but the fit is not that good.
They are fine for my car's purpose but on an OE-type car you'd probably want to go with restored originals.
:Twocents:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

8WHEELER

I went a different route. I do like to make my cars as correct and originally restored as I can. But with my
68 grill trim, I have taken four sets down to my local chrome shop now. Now it does not look exactly like
the stock original finish, but it does look great, and will last a lot longer seeing as how I drive my cars everywhere
they go, in the Seattle weather no less  :yesnod:

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

Ryan

Quote from: 8WHEELER on December 17, 2012, 03:53:09 AM
I went a different route. I do like to make my cars as correct and originally restored as I can. But with my
68 grill trim, I have taken four sets down to my local chrome shop now. Now it does not look exactly like
the stock original finish, but it does look great, and will last a lot longer seeing as how I drive my cars everywhere
they go, in the Seattle weather no less  :yesnod:

Dan

Do you have any pics?
69 charger r/t Triple Black
   572 HEMI, Passion 5 speed, 4.10 Dana under construction

2014 viper TA

8WHEELER

I checked and I do not have any pics that are close enough to tell, I will see if I can crop
a picture, and zoom in so it can be seen, but it will be blurry.

Dan

8WHEELER

Here is a try.

Dan